Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I disagree with @PerreaultForever ‘s opinion on Reinhart or that Konecny is a better player,  Konecny is having a breakout year and has very good metrics.  That said he plays zero PK minutes and this is his first season where he is even close to Reinhart’s production.  

Honestly he is a step down from Reinhart, but his growth as a player makes it closer then I originally thought.

Have you watched him play?

Things he does that Sam does not:

- turns it up another gear when the team is down or needs a boost.

- finishes his checks and on occasion pounds people into the boards.

-fights if necessary

-goes to the dirty areas and battles hard.

-plays with energy and plays like a leader getting those around him to step up their game as well.

They are not even close to being similar. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Have you watched him play?

Things he does that Sam does not:

- turns it up another gear when the team is down or needs a boost.

- finishes his checks and on occasion pounds people into the boards.

-fights if necessary

-goes to the dirty areas and battles hard.

-plays with energy and plays like a leader getting those around him to step up their game as well.

They are not even close to being similar. 

Didn’t Sam “fight” someone this season when no one else would?

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Ok, that is a completely valid opinion.  But you are replying to me, while totally ignoring what I’m saying.  You didn’t even acknowledge that I said anything about UFA vs RFA years, or about the difference in production between Konecny and Reinhart pre contract.

You are not really having a conversation. You are replying without responding to what I said.  It’s confusing.

I haven’t even told you that you are wrong or that I disagree, or anything.  I’m trying to have a conversation here about different aspects of contracts.

Sorry if I'm confusing you. Trying to respond to a number of people and trying not to repeat myself too much (too much). I think of message board conversations a bit like bars where you get lots of opinions being shouted around the table and there isn't really any one on one. 

I didn't ignore what you said, it's just that the UFA RFA years thing doesn't really interest me. I'm simply comparing contracts of players and what they bring to their teams. I would never give a player like Sam term regardless of how many UFA or RFA years we are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Didn’t Sam “fight” someone this season when no one else would?

He had one sort of semi fight but it's not really a thing he does is it? You're not going to see Sam turn a game but running into people or dropping the gloves. He totally lacks what us neanderthals refer to as the "intangibles."

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He had one sort of semi fight but it's not really a thing he does is it? You're not going to see Sam turn a game but running into people or dropping the gloves. He totally lacks what us neanderthals refer to as the "intangibles."

Are the “intangibles” the same thing as “sandpaper?”

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

One of them was in the allstar game. 

Because they had to pick someone from Filly.

Damn, I wish there was an "ignore thread" feature.  I don't know why I keep clicking on this.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/24/21080093/buffalo-sabres-mailbag-botterill-cozens-free-agency-trades-and-more

interesting little section.... 

I told you we’d get to Reinhart later. I don’t believe discussions have begun yet on a new deal. That’ll probably start in the summer. My feeling is Reinhart will cost the Sabres between $6.8 to $7.25 million in annual average value (cap hit). He’s an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent on pace for close to 70 points, which would be a career-high again. Like him or not, that is the going rate for a player that produces at his level. I’ve always looked at the William Nylander deal ($6.97 million cap hit) with the Toronto Maple Leafs as the ballpark for Reinhart and his agency.

Some people have discussed the idea of using Reinhart as a trade chip and I’m not there at all. The Sabres need more impact forwards not less. Trading Reinhart in a package for another forward seems counter-productive. I’m also not saying he’s untouchable, but for me, it would have to be a really sweet deal to move him off the roster. I feel like he provides more than what is measured in terms of production that the Sabres can’t afford to part with right now.

I’d be in favor of moving him onto another line to give him a chance to drive his own line as the general manager has previously alluded to. I think it would help spread out the scoring and they can explore this when they get healthy at forward. If the Sabres don’t take him off Eichel’s like that isn’t a deal-breaker for me. A lot of good players play with other good players. Top lines all over the league consist of more than one good player on that line. It’s not a knock against him. Eichel and Reinhart do things in their game to benefit each other.

Granted, Die by the blade isn’t the best at writing, objective thinking and are embraced as gospel by some casual fans more than it should ... But some of the points are pretty fair regarding Reinhart. His salary (although I think it may go higher) projection is close. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Because they had to pick someone from Filly.

Damn, I wish there was an "ignore thread" feature.  I don't know why I keep clicking on this.

Philly has better forwards than we do (aside from Eichel).

As to the second sentence, ditto. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/24/21080093/buffalo-sabres-mailbag-botterill-cozens-free-agency-trades-and-more

interesting little section.... 

I told you we’d get to Reinhart later. I don’t believe discussions have begun yet on a new deal. That’ll probably start in the summer. My feeling is Reinhart will cost the Sabres between $6.8 to $7.25 million in annual average value (cap hit). He’s an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent on pace for close to 70 points, which would be a career-high again. Like him or not, that is the going rate for a player that produces at his level.

I'd be ok with that.  I have criticized Sam on this board in the past.  I want another go-around with him on a line other than Jack for the rest of the year.  I think he has the least chance of 'taking over a game' compared to just about anyone else in the 25 goal/60-70 point range.  He has flaws.....but that still doesn't change the fact he is a 20-25 goal guy and 60-70 point guy...and it is going to cost you for that.  I'm not elated with a $7 million cap hit for me...but if he can be resigned for that...I'd say do it quickly.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:19 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Trade him for what?

Ultimately, this is why Reino will be signed.  If you look at what the return on a trade for him will be, it won't make the team better... not because he's *that* good, but because he's better than any replacement we will get in a trade, and if he's traded it will open up a huge hole in the top six.

You want to see Jack request a trade?  Get rid of Reinhart. 

Edited by Doohickie

On 1/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, rakish said:

Let's say the Larsson's line is on the ice and Okposo gets tripped, it's Eichel that comes over the boards when the goaltender comes off the ice. At this point you have a fresh Eichel on a 6-5, against a tired defense who doesn't normally play very good defense (remember it's Larsson's line on the ice). There's a very good chance of Eichel scoring, but it doesn't happen because Reinhart isn't on the ice.

Precisely how many goals has Jack scored in such situations?  To be honest, I don't remember it ever happening, but it's probably happened once or twice.

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Granted, Die by the blade isn’t the best at writing, objective thinking and are embraced as gospel by some casual fans more than it should

DBTB is no more valid than anyone else on this forum.  I take him as no more valid than a Liger, Randall Flagg, Eleven, PerreaultForever, etc.  Some good insights, some strong opinions, occasionally some facts.  I agree with some of DBTB, disagree with other bits, just like the members on this forum.  It's just that DBTB has a bigger platform/bigger following.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

DBTB is no more valid than anyone else on this forum.  I take him as no more valid than a Liger, Randall Flagg, Eleven, PerreaultForever, etc.  Some good insights, some strong opinions, occasionally some facts.  I agree with some of DBTB, disagree with other bits, just like the members on this forum.  It's just that DBTB has a bigger platform/bigger following.

Chad does have some contacts in the organization.  He gets media credentials.  He does sometimes get information that outsiders do not.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Sh!t I got invited to write for them. I can’t even tie my own sneakers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

Chad does have some contacts in the organization.  He gets media credentials.  He does sometimes get information that outsiders do not.

He's also a super annoying follow on Twitter. A lot of holier than thou stuff that gets tiring real quick and I usually agree with what he's saying.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, inkman said:

He's also a super annoying follow on Twitter. A lot of holier than thou stuff that gets tiring real quick and I usually agree with what he's saying.  

Yeah, I could see that being true.

I don’t twitter, and I am very rarely tempted to start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.