Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

23 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think Reinhart is getting 7.5 per. His comparable is Horvat, who is a real center who takes faceoffs, at 5.5 per. Sam should get 7, but 7.5 seems high for a 60 point RW. 

Horvat isn’t going to be a great comparable, to me.  He signed his deal coming of seasons of 40 and 52 points.  Reinhart is going to be comping off seasons of 65 and maybe 70 points.  Huge difference there.  And I know, different position too.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You don't trade a guy like that unless its a huge overpayment, he has the best hockey vision on the team.

Please explain how he has only 127 career assists in 351 NHL games.

He's currently tied for 80th in assists in the NHL.   Yeah, great vision.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

To answer the posters question. Sign him. Why wouldn't you? Right now how many players of his talent do we have on this team? Maybe three?

No, you clearly trade him because other GMs are going to give up McDavid for Reinhart.  That's how it works.. right?  ?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f80cb84a766e0e3d07

Eventually people will start to figure out it's not the coach in Buffalo that matters, it's the players.

Reinhart is a 40-50 point player without Eichel by his side.

The pay and term he is going to get won't be justified by his performance.

4 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Eventually people will start to figure out it's not the coach in Buffalo that matters, it's the players.

So you think Sam Reinhart is a 40pt player? 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ff8270c6139eadaeaa

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

So you think Sam Reinhart is a 40pt player? 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ff8270c6139eadaeaa

40-50 without Eichel on his line.  

The problem with Reinhart is his name should be spelled "D R A I S A I T L"

Someone go find Tim Murray and kick him in the balls.  He took the wrong guy.

Leon is a monster and worth the money/term Reinhart is going to get.  Reinhart is not.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Yup. Maybe a few more points in the right situation but I don't think he's a leader and he can't drive a line. I know he has a lot of fans here but at some point you have to look at who has been here since the tank and realize they are not getting it done. 

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

It would be insanity to pay big money for Reinhart(who is a good player). If he were a tough guy and a disruptor and menace out there PLUS puts up his 50-60 points

then yeah.

Sabres are soft soft soft...and they will not be a dominant team until they get more tough 2 way players.

They are not naturally tough.They can act like it for certain stretches...But as we are presently seeing..it never lasts.

And how about a big name free agent? A winner with experience who may even be 'slightly' over the hill??

This team is not working on the right formula.And I think this new coach will be able to see that this group cant play intense hockey

every game .We dont have the type of players who will do that. Peca,Luce,Ramsay..where are you??

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Leon is a monster and worth the money/term Reinhart is going to get.  Reinhart is not.

it is kinda interesting though that edmonton is not a properly built team either.

Watch them fade like crazy. Only difference between them and us is McDavid's talent advantage over Eichel.

Other than that we basically have the same team.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

I'm almost positive that Draisaitl's production drops significantly without McDavid. A few seasons in his career you could compare his without-McDavid production's to Zemgus Girgensons', so that's a weird player to pick when your main point is playing away from Eichel. What do his actual stats look like away from Eichel? Because in limited time, his PLAY away from Eichel is pretty good, he fit in with ROR when ROR was here quite nicely, and in a small sample size with Mitts last season was dangerous.

The problem with trading Sam (or Jack, for that matter) is that one for one even up hockey trades are rare these days.  Usually trading a guy means getting picks, prospects, junk back.  The move this guy to get this other, equal but different guy back is a play that just doesn't happen alot anymore.

Most folks paying attention are aware that I'm not keen on the crew we've assembled when we were losing on purpose, but I just don't see any benefit to trading them if a Turgeon for LaFontaine deal isn't out there.

Which means our best play is signing Sam.

Frankly, I like Sam's effort and attitude a whole lot better than Jack's.  I think he's underappreciated by more than a few around here.  But I still don't think he can drive a line.  I do think he's the best complimentary player on the roster though.  By alot.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Weave said:

Frankly, I like Sam's effort and attitude a whole lot better than Jack's.  I think he's underappreciated by more than a few around here.  

Strangely enough, I find he is overappreciated by more than a few around here.  I'm not saying we just get rid of him, but if he wants top dollars I'd rather we spent that money elsewhere. 

I posed this question this morning to see what fans reactions would be.  The main reason was because of needing a contract after this year, do I as a fan see the Sabres being able to win with Jack, Jeff and Sam as our core group.

Since everyone keeps looking to WPG as a landing spot for Risto, could JBott package Sam with Risto and get a much larger return, while keeping the salary structure in tact.

Could we land Ehlers, Copp, and Perreault for Sam, Risto, and ERod?

I think Sam should be in his own line too. Jack and Skinner and fill in blank. Sam with a player like Lazar and someone like VO would be a nice line. Lazar works hard and will retrieve pucks. VO needs a pass and he can get that on a line like that. 

I still think a lot is in between the ears on so many players. Bo Horvat has always been so mature and always looked like the game meant everything to him. I don’t see that with Casey for example. These kids are pretty good but they need to work their ***** off and their skill should shine through. It’s a hard league and I don’t see a lot of urgency in some of the players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I posed this question this morning to see what fans reactions would be.  The main reason was because of needing a contract after this year, do I as a fan see the Sabres being able to win with Jack, Jeff and Sam as our core group.

Since everyone keeps looking to WPG as a landing spot for Risto, could JBott package Sam with Risto and get a much larger return, while keeping the salary structure in tact.

Could we land Ehlers, Copp, and Perreault for Sam, Risto, and ERod?

The Peg would take this in a heartbeat and then the rest of the league would laugh at us. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.