Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

I seriously go back and forth in my head with this question.  Sometimes he looks like a teammate that cares and has some push back in his game, and other times he looks like he is just riding on the back seat of jack's two seat bicycle. 

I actually don't mind Jack and Sam on the same team we just need different type of players around them and I want Sam on a different line.

Skinner is tenacious on offensive end, little water bug with knack at finding ways to score. Wish he was 3 inches taller and a true power forward.

VO is defensively responsible, can't create on his own, but has a great shot.

Sheary is defensively responsible, will hustle, but can't hit the net 10 ft in front of him.

Vesey is defensively responsible, big body, but has not shown any offensive ability.

Mitts is still learning but probably will get passed up by Cozens in a few years.  Do you keep Mitts as your third line center forever.  He could be moved but is also Botts first big draft pick.

Johansson is steady and skilled, not flashy but gets the job done.

Bottom six is well bottom six, nothing else to discuss!!

So changes need to be made going forward. UFA crop for next year is not promising.  So do you move Reinhart for another promising yet proven forward or do you sign him to an $8 million AAV and change the players around them?

I dont think Sam is superstar quality that deserves a huge contract for big money. however I think if they can get him for a good money for long term than he should be kept.

He should not be on the top line though, I think he should be in second line.

I also think middlestat needs some time in the minors. Not a lot of time, but I think he was brought up a little too soon 

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, miles said:

I think that is too much. 5 mil@ 6 yr. If he requires 6 mil, then only 3 yr

It is nuts to think you can sign a player who put up 65 points last year and is on pace for 70 this year to a 5mil contract. 6mil might be crazy too. We're talking 7+ if Sammy drops another 60+ point season which seems likely.

That said, he should be running his own line as I am sick of watching him defer to Eichel. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, Eichel seems much more likely to pass off to Reinhart than other linemates, or so it seems to me.  Something something chemistry something.

He trusts Sam. How often do we see Sam wiff on a pass or do something stupid with it? Rarely. If this team had 4 Sam Reinhart's they would actually be good. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Separate Sam from Jack

I agree with this.  Sam needs to play with Johansson IMHO and Skinner needs to move back up with Jack.  Wingers can be debated, but I think Sam and Johannson both have high IQ's that would mesh well together.  I would like to see Vesey with Skinner and Jack...as he might bring a little defensive ability, but at the same time finally score a goal.

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what, yes trade him. I want it to happen because I have grown sick and tired of saying how good he actually is. So yes, trade him so we can create a giant hole on the right side that will take years to recover from. 

You know, the idea would be we'd just be getting a younger guy of equivalent talent in return.  Maybe one that isn't mentally always taking a backseat to his buddy.

Sam is the straw that stirs the drink on any line he plays on. He’s one of, if not the best passer on the team. His production/developing is such a welcome addition to this team. Do some fans actually not see his development since he was drafted? Quite blind if so. I wouldn’t move him unless it was a stupid overpayment by a bad GM. He’s headed towards a 6-8 year, 6.75 - 8.5 mil contract. And it will be fair for what he brings.

• Like (+1) 2

Kane wasn't worth the money it was assumed he wanted.  But how much better would the top 6 fowards be with another 30 goal scorer?

O'Reilly wasn't worth the money he was due, but how much better would this team be with a Selke winner at 2C?

And now Reinhart isn't worth the money.  Imagine how much better this team will be with one Botterill's infamous '3-piece' deals replacing Sam's 60+points in the lineup.

Now that the Sabres tanked themselves into top 10 draft picks the last 6 years, how about finding a GM who can build an actual NHL roster around those players? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't think this question can be answered in a vacuum -- i.e. I think everyone would like to keep Reino at the right price, but everyone would also trade him for the right return.  So, I would suggest assuming:

- To keep Reino, the Sabres will have to give him an 8-year deal at a minimum of $7.5MM per year (and that may be low).

- If they trade Reino, they won't be getting back a guy Reino's age who has produced as much as Reino has -- i.e. you're talking younger players/prospects/picks -- not an established star.

IMHO, Reino is a good player, but not good enough to justify the contract that it will take to keep him -- but the Sabres can't let him go either, as they need all of the talent at forward they can get, and trading him would almost certainly result in a downgrade in their forward talent at scoring. 

This unfortunate situation -- having to overpay to keep your own guys, who aren't great and who haven't produced anything for you, but who are the best you've got -- is where mismanaged teams often find themselves.  In this case, the Sabres will probably find themselves being forced to get married to Reino in part due to the ROR and KO debacles and Mitts' failure to develop, and of course the idiotic tank. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Kane wasn't worth the money it was assumed he wanted.  But how much better would the top 6 fowards be with another 30 goal scorer?

O'Reilly wasn't worth the money he was due, but how much better would this team be with a Selke winner at 2C?

And now Reinhart isn't worth the money.  Imagine how much better this team will be with one Botterill's infamous '3-piece' deals replacing Sam's 60+points in the lineup.

Now that the Sabres tanked themselves into top 10 draft picks the last 6 years, how about finding a GM who can build an actual NHL roster around those players? 

Say what now? ROR was always worth his contract. 

But yes, imagine getting 1 pick, some mediocre 28 year old, and a prospect for Reinhart. Good freaking times. 

Depending on the return, sure

You gotta give up something good to get something good in return, your not going to get Crosby by giving up Okposo....

If you look at the lineup, he might be the most expendable player outside of Eichel, Skinner, or Dahlin to get you something good in return. Otherwise your stuck with what's here now and keep hoping there's a prospect who will be coming up soon and explode on the scene.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.