Status of the Defense

GASabresIUFAN

Right now I’d argue that Jokiharju has been our most consistent defenseman YTD.  His minutes are growing (Up to 18+ recently) and for a player he wasn’t supposed to be an offensive weapon (according to Stan Bowman) he is 2nd in D points so far with 2g and 5a ytd despite no PP time.  

Montour has quickly earned RK’s trust and is play 22 minutes a night and on both special teams.

Dahlin continues to struggle.  

To Scandy’s credit he has been better then last season and is looking like the guy I like 2 years ago

Miller isn’t my favorite and has been out of the lineup recently and McCabe and Risto are the same as always.

So where are we?  

The D has been exposed in recent games.  We are giving up to many chances and they aren’t helping the offense as hoped. 

Right now I’d say on paper our best 6 players are playing, but they need to be better starting with Dahlin.  Is it time to give Joker minutes a night?  What else can RK or Jbot do to get more from them?  

Last night they were the team’s best pairing, that being said McCabe and Risto season metrics match their eye test neither are good. 

If Dahlin is going to be benched for poor play, the same standard should be applied to McCabe as well as some other underachieving forwards.

Since Lawrence Pilut is playing in Rochester, the Top Six Defenders are not playing for the Sabres. He and Risto were very good last year. 

For a coaching staff that preaches puck movement, they continue to have a pairing that struggles with that play big minutes. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Last night they were the team’s best pairing, that being said McCabe and Risto season metrics match their eye test neither are good. 

If Dahlin is going to be benched for poor play, the same standard should be applied to McCabe as well as some other underachieving forwards.

Since Lawrence Pilut is playing in Rochester, the Top Six Defenders are not playing for the Sabres. He and Risto were very good last year. 

For a coaching staff that preaches puck movement, they continue to have a pairing that struggles with that play big minutes. 

Absolutely.

Right now anyone not giving max effort and playing the system should be in the pressbox or sent packing.  Right now given Borgen and Pilut a shot, they can't be worse.  Also Keep playing Lazar and Asplund, at least they are trying.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The only logical conclusion about Risto and McCabe being given enough rope to hang Christmas lights in a pine forest is that a certain coach from last year is back again and influencing that decision. It is absolutely astounding that a team can be this blatantly stupid. Their eye test looks like ***** and their metrics look like ***** and yet McCabe and Risto stay out there and play like ***** with no consequences. It's a disgusting failure on the part of the coaching staff. 

What they are doing to Dahlin is criminal. I have never seen him hesitate so much and be so unsure of his moves. Ridiculous use of their best offensive defender. 

Jokiharju is good just as I thought he would be. 

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Right now I’d argue that Jokiharju has been our most consistent defenseman YTD.  His minutes are growing (Up to 18+ recently) and for a player he wasn’t supposed to be an offensive weapon (according to Stan Bowman) he is 2nd in D points so far with 2g and 5a ytd despite no PP time.  

Montour has quickly earned RK’s trust and is play 22 minutes a night and on both special teams.

Dahlin continues to struggle.  

To Scandy’s credit he has been better then last season and is looking like the guy I like 2 years ago

Miller isn’t my favorite and has been out of the lineup recently and McCabe and Risto are the same as always.

So where are we?  

The D has been exposed in recent games.  We are giving up to many chances and they aren’t helping the offense as hoped. 

Right now I’d say on paper our best 6 players are playing, but they need to be better starting with Dahlin.  Is it time to give Joker minutes a night?  What else can RK or Jbot do to get more from them?  

The defense hasn't been exposed.  The goals against were at fault of the centers, or from the terrible PK.  Particularly from Jack.  Hutton has been suspect as well.  The defense has been generally good.

Thing is, I wouldn't want to trade Scandella the way he has been playing lately.  Ristolainen is the one who needs to go.  Miller started strong, but has found his way rightfully to the bench.  Either way, Ristolainen needs to go.  And this team needs forwards.

Edited by triumph_communes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.