GDT: 11/17/19 Buffalo @ Chicago, 7 p.m. EST, MSG, WGR550

Claude Balls

Hoping for a double win today with the Bills. That (plus the pizza and wings I'll be enjoying) would cap off my trip back to Buffalo nicely before my 400 mile drive tomorrow morning.

Despite the win last night, the Sabres only looked good in the first period and in the minutes after Eichel's hat trick in the 3rd. That's a lot of time in the middle where we were on our heals. Now we have a road game on back to back nights. I'm hoping yesterday woke them up a little bit.

cut.jpg

Buffalo is right back at it. Following the team's 4-2 win over the Ottawa Senators last night, the Sabres will play the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. 

It's a 7 p.m. ET faceoff with the Buick Game Night pregame show getting underway at 6:30 p.m. on MSG. Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray will have the call on MSG and WGR 550. 

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season.
  • Last meeting: Chicago defeated Buffalo 5-4 (SO) in Chicago on March 7
  • Next meeting: Saturday, March 21 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 1-5-4 in their last 10 games vs. the Blackhawks; 1-6-3 on the road.

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if Dahlin sits tonight or what the deal is with him now. 

What I wonder is whether in his hockey life Dahlin's ever had his play questioned like it has been this season. Is this a matter of "tear him down, and build him back up"? Better than he was before.

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Eichel was shown on the bench giving him a pep talk during the game. It’s time to give him a game off and play Miller.

Loved it. I loved how Dahlin accepted it. Even giving Jack a pat on the leg after it was over.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, freester said:

We could sure use Nylanders scoring. He tallied 2 goals last pm.  

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Meh, before that he had gone 14 games without a goal.  Jokiharju has almost as many points as Nylander without any PP time and much better shot share metrics too.

Thanks @Curt.  Holy cherry picking stats @freester

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if Dahlin sits tonight or what the deal is with him now. 

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

Eichel was shown on the bench giving him a pep talk during the game. It’s time to give him a game off and play Miller.

Curious to see what reaction i get to this suggestion.

We need a body for Kyles now open position.  

Yes put Miller in on D but don't sit Dahlin, move him to forward in Kyles spot and tell him to free wheel on offense and only need to worry about back checking. Also give him some PP time on the PP1 or PP2.     

Something needs to be done for that open forward position and RK already was talking about using one of the extra D so if not Dahlin then who? Missed the Tage Thompson thread, called in so we know that spots filled...

For the game lets get a 2 game streak going here and sweep the back to backs on top of a Bills win for a feel good Buffalo weekend.

Lets Go Buffalo make it so. 

Edited by R_Dudley
update

7 hours ago, freester said:

We could sure use Nylanders scoring. He tallied 2 goals last pm.  

Nylander has 4g 9 pts

Joker has 2g 7 pts.  

So so far I like the trade and I think Joker can be a top defenseman for us.  It will take years to properly evaluate this trade.  Most likely is both teams will benefit  

• Like (+1) 1

Joker is playing lights out and is one half of our best defense pairing. He's smooth, steady, and smart. 

Nylander is still playing hockey that gets him healthy scratched. 

Nylander could score 35 goals on that Chicago team and I wouldn't care because of what Joker is doing here. That Chicago team sells out for offense and can do strange things to stats because of it 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Nylander has 4g 9 pts

Joker has 2g 7 pts.  

So so far I like the trade and I think Joker can be a top defenseman for us.  It will take years to properly evaluate this trade.  Most likely is both teams will benefit  

If Joker can almost match the offense while playing D and doing a good job of it, that’s a plus. He is also a year younger.

With a win tonight, the Sabres would finish their second 10-game segment at 3-5-2. Eight points would be disappointing, but it wouldn't be a disaster. In the big picture, they'd be on pace for 100 points after 80 games. Pretty good.

Tonight feels like a really big game to get the Sabres headed back on the right trajectory for the postseason.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.