GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

Just now, Brawndo said:

Why are the defenseman dumping the puck in from the redline so much, Jokiharju, Montour, Miller and Dahlin are capable of offensive zone entries with the puck possession yet it seems they are being instructed to dump the puck in. 

How defensemen enter the zone and defend against the entrance gives me way too much anxiety 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Why are the defenseman dumping the puck in from the redline so much, Jokiharju, Montour, Miller and Dahlin are capable of offensive zone entries with the puck possession yet it seems they are being instructed to dump the puck in. 

Occam's Razor would say because it's what they are being taught/instructed to do (which is obviously very concerning).

11 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Occam's Razor would say because it's what they are being taught/instructed to do (which is obviously very concerning).

They are almost certainly being told to play this way, it was not how things we done last year. 

Two areas that Steve Smith is in charge of, the PK and the defense have severely regressed this season. 

I found this interesting 

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How defensemen enter the zone and defend against the entrance gives me way too much anxiety 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

They are almost certainly being told to play this way, it was not how things we done last year. 

Two areas that Steve Smith is in charge of, the PK and the defense have severely regressed this season. 

I found this interesting 

But Smith was here last year, and they were better at those things, right? Isn't the variable Krueger? Maybe he's instructing Smith to manage it differently? 

All I can say is that I hope that this is the lowest low of the season for this team.  We lose a couple to injury and we are a very different team and nobody (or very few) seem able to step up and fill the gap.  That alone is concerning and shows our lack of depth (or desire?).  Faceoffs?  Not a big Sobotka fan here but without him look what happens to our faceoff%.  Yikes!  On defense, predictably, Risto  is unable to consistently clear the front of the crease and also showed some more lame zone clears.  Yes, he showed some glimpses of good defense and grit at times...Like you guys have already posted, Vesey played like he belongs in the box eating popcorn.  eRod looked somewhat better last night but he just doesn't seem to fit the new system.  The best showing was Curtis Lazar - hope he gets more play time.

I remain hopeful that things can turn around but am concerned about what I saw last night.  I get the whole goalies have to play regularly thing too but I continue to have my concerns about consistency here as well.

No matter what, they are our Sabres and they are my team for the long haul.  We need more skill for sure but I am going to enjoy watching them grow this season and for always!

Go Sabres!

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

But Smith was here last year, and they were better at those things, right? Isn't the variable Krueger? Maybe he's instructing Smith to manage it differently? 

Yes and no. Having a strong defensive background, I believe that Housley had an influence over how that unit played particularly in how the defenseman carried the puck into the offense zone. 

So far this season there has been a 6% drop in efficiency of the PK. The past five games it has been about 50% though. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Thanks. There are some false accounts out there. This one's from nhl.com no less:

"He adjusted fine and was on his way to becoming one of the best in the League at his position when his career nearly came to an end. During a game against the New York Islanders on Dec. 27, 1980, Howe was defending a 3-on-2 rush when he fell and slid into the goal. One of the metal spikes used at the time to anchor the goal post to the ice pierced his buttocks."

Interesting. I could swear I remember someone sliding into the goal sideways and having that big point in the middle go into his calf or thigh. I also think it was before 1980, so maybe a totally different incident. Or maybe it was the post spike and he just carried it in his ass into the back of the net. Or I could just be losing my mind. Things pre 1980 are a lil fuzzy.

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not hockey. And it's not Pong. Warp speed, Dahlin! UFO mode! Another cream soda down here, Grams!

There are some doctors on this forum who can provide a second opinion on your meds and perhaps alter your prescription. ?

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Interesting. I could swear I remember someone sliding into the goal sideways and having that big point in the middle go into his calf or thigh. I also think it was before 1980, so maybe a totally different incident. Or maybe it was the post spike and he just carried it in his ass into the back of the net. Or I could just be losing my mind. Things pre 1980 are a lil fuzzy.

I was trying to say I think your version is the correct one, and ones like nhl.com are wrong. Sorry for the fuzziness.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

There are some doctors on this forum who can provide a second opinion on your meds and perhaps alter your prescription. ?

No need. I got some of them mixed up. There's a big difference between once daily and once every two hours — who knew.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, dudacek said:

Not blaming Hutton for this loss at all.

But games like this are what I was talking about in August when I was wondering about our goaltending.

Bubble teams need wins in games like this and one more save might have meant a win.

He has the worst luck on those stupid seeing-eye goals.

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He has the worst luck on those stupid seeing-eye goals.

When it happens so much, is it bad luck? Does he seem jumpy to you? When things start going off the rails, to me he does. The puck will be between his pads and he'll be all spazzy, looking left and right and behind him. When he's on his game, he's a statue.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.