GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

All JBotts and Krueger talked about during the summer was adding speed and grit.  They brought in speed with Joker and maybe a little grit with Miller.  Besides that they brought in two players in Johansson and Vesey that are like the rest of the team.  

You can't win in this league with just speed. No one can win one on one battles and they often get pushed around and bumped of pucks.  

The Jack and Sam duo has got to stop on 5 on 5.  They have no clue how to play defense. They just run around in the zone.  Reinhart just left Aho to go double the Carolina guy that Risto was already covering.

Changes need to be made or this will be another long season.

23 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The only goal I really had a problem with Hutton on last night was that blocker side PP goal he gave up late. He could see it the whole way, he just whiffed on it.

I didn't think any of the goals was awful, but I thought all of them other than the 2nd one, which was a deflection in close, were savable -- and a good goaltending performance would've saved a couple of them.

• Like (+1) 1

In an unusual move... I did not read the entirety of this thread.

I need to go back and rewatch the OT goal, but my initial take is that Dahlin is the reason it happened.  He remains lost out there and it's time he sits to take a deep breath and observe a few games from a suite and not the bench.

Other than that.. the Sabres, overall, played well.  Carolina doesn't suck and scored some good goals, as did Buffalo.  They fought back and got it to OT.

Dahlin screwed up coverage, twice and puck into the net.

Good night.

I’m rapidly solidifying my opinion that this team has a Jack Eichel problem and even with another top six forward and two more middle six forwards they won’t reach their full potential until Jack improves his attitude and body language. That may or may not coming with winning more, but it shouldn’t take winning to know how to carry yourself as the captain of a professional sports team. 

• Like (+1) 2

Some overreactions here.  They finally score 4 ES goals, what more do you want?  The PK hemorrhaged and Hutton let in softies.

I do agree Oloffson is overmatched on the top-line.  Skinner really needs to be back with Jack.  Reinhart should drop down to another line.

Scandella is actually a calming presence.  Jokiharju has been our best defender.

Edited by triumph_communes

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I didn't think any of the goals was awful, but I thought all of them other than the 2nd one, which was a deflection in close, were savable -- and a good goaltending performance would've saved a couple of them.

The Sweden trip probably hurt the goalies more than anyone.

It's tough to get into a rhythm playing one game in 10 days. I was watching Hutton a lot last night (trying to find things to work on in my own game) and what I noticed was he was cheating the initial shot a bit in some situations in order to cover up the second opportunities that were inevitably arriving on his doorstep. Carolina was playing a game that had him constantly trying to re-square to the puck and it was clear he was struggling with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ullmark looks rough if he gets tomorrow's game, he'll have played one game in the last 15 days.

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Why would Erod try and tell Dahlin to take the man he already had covered? 

Because until Dahlin took himself out of position, he was in a perfect position to take the player about to swoop in deep.  It was a logical handoff and you see forwards handing opponents off to defensemen like that all game, every game.

At best it was a miscommunication; at worst it was Dahlin abandoning his post.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because until Dahlin took himself out of position, he was in a perfect position to take the player about to swoop in deep.  It was a logical handoff and you see forwards handing opponents off to defensemen like that all game, every game.

At best it was a miscommunication; at worst it was Dahlin abandoning his post.

Dahlin was lost on the play.  Not sure why he floated forward and towards the center of the ice on the Carolina rush, and then decided to wander rather uselessly next to Hutton.  
The lack of assertiveness is at the core of all their issues in my opinion.  I know not everyone agrees, but I want some banging and smashing out there.  I actually don’t mind Reinhart’s misconduct.  Good!  Show some emotion! Re-direct it at the opponent next time. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think some are expecting to much, the growing pains Samson and Eichel had and sometimes still have can also be found with Mittelstadt and dhalin.   

Calling Mittelstadt a bust at the beginning of his 2nd year in the NHL is somewhat dumb.

I really like Mittelstadt's raw talent, but I accept now that he should probably be in the AHL rounding out his game. He's just not an NHL player yet.

Botterill made some comments on Schopp and the Bulldog yesterday about Tage being ready to join the team again "at some point" and it made me wonder "well why was he here all last season then if he needs to be in the A right now?"

Seems like player development is going a little strangely for this team...

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't get how you can fairly judge a player at three on three. Except goalies, I guess.

You judge them the way you judge them.  3 on 3 is different than 5 on 5, there's no doubt.  However, there are some basic tenets that still hold true.  Now, a player who is acceptable in a 5 on 5 situation might not be as acceptable in 3 on 3 because of the extra space on the ice. So, those lacking quickness might have a harder time playing the game with that extra space.

That said, in this case. The method of covering the ice is not really all that different. Dahlin should not be up in the play creating a single layer of D for the Canes to have to permeate. Dahlin should have been back, and ERod was right to motion that Dahlin take that man as ERod would take the trailing player. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was too disgusted to watch post game show. What the hell happened on that last goal? 

You don't play tight man to man defense in your own zone during 3 on 3, you will almost always lose....unless your goalie is standing on his head.

That is what the GWG looked like.

36 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was too disgusted to watch post game show. What the hell happened on that last goal?

Krueger had a brainfart (or at minimum Bales and Smith didn't pay attention who the other was placing on the ice) not only having Mittelstadt and Dahlin on the ice at the same time but having Rodrigues as the experienced player out there with them.

Which led to Dahlin having an insurmountable brainfart of his own.  Too bad Hutton couldn't bail him out.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

In my opinion Jbot destroyed this teams progress by trading ROR.  He left a gaping hole down the middle that he never filled.  We are still paying the piper for that.  His drafting has been suspect as well.  Mitts looks like a bust.  Dahlin desperately needs development. 

I'll buy that!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Krueger had a brainfart (or at minimum Bales and Smith didn't pay attention who the other was placing on the ice) not only having Mittelstadt and Dahlin on the ice at the same time but having Rodrigues as the experienced player out there with them.

Which led to Dahlin having an insurmountable brainfart of his own.  Too bad Hutton couldn't bail him out.

I've been waiting for the correct take and this is it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

You judge them the way you judge them.  3 on 3 is different than 5 on 5, there's no doubt.  However, there are some basic tenets that still hold true.  Now, a player who is acceptable in a 5 on 5 situation might not be as acceptable in 3 on 3 because of the extra space on the ice. So, those lacking quickness might have a harder time playing the game with that extra space.

That said, in this case. The method of covering the ice is not really all that different. Dahlin should not be up in the play creating a single layer of D for the Canes to have to permeate. Dahlin should have been back, and ERod was right to motion that Dahlin take that man as ERod would take the trailing player. 

It's not hockey. And it's not Pong. Warp speed, Dahlin! UFO mode! Another cream soda down here, Grams!

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree. They knew there were roster issues and seem content with waiting another year to address them. I had hoped that the addition of new defenders would help but low and behold there is Risto playing 25minutes a night again with McCabe and getting caved in. 

Why are the defenseman dumping the puck in from the redline so much, Jokiharju, Montour, Miller and Dahlin are capable of offensive zone entries with the puck possession yet it seems they are being instructed to dump the puck in. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.