GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

Ok, last bit of positivity from me tonight. If you look at the teams in the top eight, I really think there are only three that 100% will stay there.....Caps, Bruins, and Isle. Toronto and lightning will eventually get there so that still gives us 3 spots.

Go beat Ottawa and Hawks and get back on track. It's gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Ok, last bit of positivity from me tonight. If you look at the teams in the top eight, I really think there are only three that 100% will stay there.....Caps, Bruins, and Isle. Toronto and lightning will eventually get there so that still gives us 3 spots.

Go beat Ottawa and Hawks and get back on track. It's gonna happen.

They really did buy themselves the ability to absorb this swoon with that October. 

When they get their heads back straight, they'll be encouraged to see that they're far from out of it, and it'll hopefully turn into some positive psychology quickly. 

Or something. idk anything about psychology 

• Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, ... said:

So, yes, you feign to qualify your remark, but you're still saying Hutton should have stolen this one.

That's a big, fat negative.  The defense by the Sabres was just bad.  Hutton had no support.  If we had some consistent, responsible defense from the team, you wouldn't be looking at Hutton as a scapegoat.

The Sabres aren’t good enough to survive games where their goalie allows a goal every six shots, or good enough to lose games where they score four, or good enough to come from behind twice in the final 7 minutes and still fail to take two points.

I’m not saying Hutton should have stolen this one because it wasn’t a game that needed to be stolen. I am saying a better goalie might have won this one, and that games like this are why I worry Hutton is not good enough to get this team into the playoffs.

Separately, “feign” implies dishonesty to me. Is that what you meant?

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Always thought Howe got impaled on 1 of the spikes holding the net in place and not the back of the old Art Ross net.

And also thought that was an impetus to go to the magnets that barely held the net in place.

They went to the new style nets to keep the puck in play as there was no longer a huge pile of netting sitting on the ice and also to keep the puck moving when behind the net rather than getting caught in the "cleavage" of the back of the net.

And the Palmateer injury was Gil's 2nd net induced injury.  He broke his leg back in '73-'74 crashing into the net (a big part of them missing the playoffs that year).

Here's a pic of the old nets and circled is the part that Howe got impaled upon.  Ouch.

image.thumb.png.b8ff3dad791c6ee8a2a3fa91f7ba996b.png

And I believe the Perreault broken leg in 73 was due to a collision with Mike Robitaille, not the net.

image.thumb.png.83831cd0787353d913c5edd067aeee82.png

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

To not make the playoffs in almost a decade shows there is some serious foundational flows in our organization.  You actually have to work hard to be this consistently inept as an organization.  

Makes you wonder right? On paper the plans always seem reasonable and yet they fall apart every time. So for me, it has to come back to that weird thing that gets argues about and JBot was supposed to have addressed, and that's the culture. For the rest of the year I suspect it'll be different players "fault" on any given night but it'll be a problem with something. Tonight Hutton, poor play in front of the net, lots of little things.  But it's rarely the same thing or one culprit so what do you fix??? In Sweden Skinner was off his game I thought. Tonight he was our best player. In Sweden Reinhart was our best player and he was dreadful at times tonight. It never changes year to year, it always falls apart.

The comeback gave me a glimmer of hope, but just a glimmer. More interesting to me was this is the first game where I saw anger and frustration on Krueger's face. The players are simply not doing (or are not capable of doing) what he is asking them to do and the frustration is starting to show. So now it's time  to see if he has the magic or not, there is no more waiting for that.

Now most teams would bench poor performers and make call ups but who do we call up, and who do we sit? If I was the coach, I don't know how I would fix this. I'm out of ideas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Makes you wonder right? On paper the plans always seem reasonable and yet they fall apart every time. So for me, it has to come back to that weird thing that gets argues about and JBot was supposed to have addressed, and that's the culture. For the rest of the year I suspect it'll be different players "fault" on any given night but it'll be a problem with something. Tonight Hutton, poor play in front of the net, lots of little things.  But it's rarely the same thing or one culprit so what do you fix??? In Sweden Skinner was off his game I thought. Tonight he was our best player. In Sweden Reinhart was our best player and he was dreadful at times tonight. It never changes year to year, it always falls apart.

The comeback gave me a glimmer of hope, but just a glimmer. More interesting to me was this is the first game where I saw anger and frustration on Krueger's face. The players are simply not doing (or are not capable of doing) what he is asking them to do and the frustration is starting to show. So now it's time  to see if he has the magic or not, there is no more waiting for that.

Now most teams would bench poor performers and make call ups but who do we call up, and who do we sit? If I was the coach, I don't know how I would fix this. I'm out of ideas.

This isn't the first HC we've tried with this bunch of players, you know!  

How many coaches do we go through before we begin to question the makeup of our core?

Eichel started out tonight with a lot of jump in his step and seemed engaged.  That didn't last for the entire first period and then he  faded.

Sheary and Vesey are both beyond worthless.  I mean they are worthless.  

Olofsson is overwhelmed at this level for the most part.  He's got that nice release and has some value on the PP, but 5 on 5 he doesn't do nearly enough and looks out of place. 

Mittelstadt shows some improvement and some promise; he's not a complete zero but he is not a contributor consistently enough at this level.  

RISTO is terrible!  Terrible!  He is the only guy on the team who plays with any degree of physicality/toughness whatsoever, but defensively he is hot garbage.  

We were collectively terrible from the face off dot tonight and that took its toll, particularly in OT.

Our goaltending was very mediocre.  Neither of our goalies is the answer long term.

This team is incredibly soft.  No secondary scoring.  RISTO continues to get big minutes on D for reasons known but to the HC and God.

Dahlin's progress has become stunted; he has had a really rough season so far for the most part.  We know the talent is there but he seems to need more guidance than he is getting so far.  I am a big fan of Steve Smith going way back to his playing days and the Twin Towers, and Housley should know a thing or two about being a young puck moving phenom D man in the NHL, so I am not sure what's going on there.

Reinhart is going to get a new K soon and he's going to get big money.  I sometimes wonder if we should move him, or keep him and move Eichel for a King's Ransom if we can get it.  

Let's see how things continue to play out this season.  If the progress just doesn't come and things look bad all season as they did last season, let's think about shaking up the core.

What else is there to do?

Moving around secondary and tertiary pieces isn't going to do squat.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

This isn't the first HC we've tried with this bunch of players, you know!  

How many coaches do we go through before we begin to question the makeup of our core?

Eichel started out tonight with a lot of jump in his step and seemed engaged.  That didn't last for the entire first period and then he  faded.

Sheary and Vesey are both beyond worthless.  I mean they are worthless.  

Olofsson is overwhelmed at this level for the most part.  He's got that nice release and has some value on the PP, but 5 on 5 he doesn't do nearly enough and looks out of place. 

Mittelstadt shows some improvement and some promise; he's not a complete zero but he is not a contributor consistently enough at this level.  

RISTO is terrible!  Terrible!  He is the only guy on the team who plays with any degree of physicality/toughness whatsoever, but defensively he is hot garbage.  

We were collectively terrible from the face off dot tonight and that took its toll, particularly in OT.

Our goaltending was very mediocre.  Neither of our goalies is the answer long term.

This team is incredibly soft.  No secondary scoring.  RISTO continues to get big minutes on D for reasons known but to the HC and God.

Dahlin's progress has become stunted; he has had a really rough season so far for the most part.  We know the talent is there but he seems to need more guidance than he is getting so far.  I am a big fan of Steve Smith going way back to his playing days and the Twin Towers, and Housley should know a thing or two about being a young puck moving phenom D man in the NHL, so I am not sure what's going on there.

Reinhart is going to get a new K soon and he's going to get big money.  I sometimes wonder if we should move him, or keep him and move Eichel for a King's Ransom if we can get it.  

Let's see how things continue to play out this season.  If the progress just doesn't come and things look bad all season as they did last season, let's think about shaking up the core.

What else is there to do?

Moving around secondary and tertiary pieces isn't going to do squat.

It’s a tough situation for sure. I agree it might be time to start pointing the finger at the players. Which finger I’ll leave up to the fans. 

This team has moments of brilliance and then moments of something else. On one PP they were passing the puck with urgency trying to create which had me on the edge of my seat. Same sequence they over pass it and the puck deflects out of the zone. 

Olof is not ready for full time five on five. Outside of the PP he is invisible. I’m willing to give Vesey some more time but so far I think he will go the Gerbe way. A lot of hype not lived up to. Sheary and Sobotka also also seem invisible but at least Sheary scores once in a while. Mitts is a guy still trying to be something everyone wants him to be but may never achieve. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Olofsson is a miss match with Eichel and Reinhart.    At one point when Eichel was playing bad I was even thinking of putting Larsson out there for a shift with Samson and Victor.   

Okposo is just a black hole the puck goes to die, Tired of seeing Girgensons/sheary fall on the ice.  Vesey can't make a decent pass.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Olofsson is a miss match with Eichel and Reinhart.    At one point when Eichel was playing bad I was even thinking of putting Larsson out there for a shift with Samson and Victor.   

Okposo is just a black hole the puck goes to die, Tired of seeing Girgensons/sheary fall on the ice.  Vesey can't make a decent pass.

We have the same problem from last year. Too many passengers. Zemgus, sobotka, vesey, okposo, sheary, olofsson all need someone else to create for them. Sheary occasionally doesn't, but everyone else does. That's half your forwards.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We have the same problem from last year. Too many passengers. Zemgus, sobotka, vesey, okposo, sheary, olofsson all need someone else to create for them. Sheary occasionally doesn't, but everyone else does. That's half your forwards.

I don't mind Olofson because he has a good shot and still can make a pass.   Out of all those guys I'd just give Larsson a long term deal.

• Like (+1) 1

This is now pretty much on management. If this squad repeats last season then Botterill should be in a very hot seat and replaced. Don't see it happening but what another coach? This is an on ice problem not a behind the bench problem. Season's still young but another month of this and something major needs to happen. Looking at you JBot!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Radar said:

This is now pretty much on management. If this squad repeats last season then Botterill should be in a very hot seat and replaced. Don't see it happening but what another coach? This is an on ice problem not a behind the bench problem. Season's still young but another month of this and something major needs to happen. Looking at you JBot!

I agree. They knew there were roster issues and seem content with waiting another year to address them. I had hoped that the addition of new defenders would help but low and behold there is Risto playing 25minutes a night again with McCabe and getting caved in. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree. They knew there were roster issues and seem content with waiting another year to address them. I had hoped that the addition of new defenders would help but low and behold there is Risto playing 25minutes a night again with McCabe and getting caved in. 

I suspect the backup plan for 2020-21 is to move Krueger up to GM and let him hire a coach.  Botts is a goner if they skid yet again.

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

He was impaled by the huge weapon in the bottom center of the goal. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/UUZGJTYwZjyAB3wq8

Thanks. There are some false accounts out there. This one's from nhl.com no less:

"He adjusted fine and was on his way to becoming one of the best in the League at his position when his career nearly came to an end. During a game against the New York Islanders on Dec. 27, 1980, Howe was defending a 3-on-2 rush when he fell and slid into the goal. One of the metal spikes used at the time to anchor the goal post to the ice pierced his buttocks."

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with @dudacek that the Sabres did not get good goaltending last night.

I will also note that the concerns most commonly cited at the end of last summer regarding unaddressed roster flaws were scoring depth and goaltending, and both continue to be concerns (although to be fair, the goaltending has been pretty solid for the most part).  So it’s more than fair to criticize JB for not taking steps in these areas.  

• Like (+1) 2

This has been a bad roster for a couple years now, JBot changes things around but the pieces going out and coming back are the same so the results are same on ice regardless of coach. I do think RK is way better than PH though.

At some point JBot has to be held accountable and he needs a huge shakeup. Star player trade? Something has got to happen!

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I will also note that the concerns most commonly cited at the end of last summer regarding unaddressed roster flaws were scoring depth and goaltending, and both continue to be concerns (although to be fair, the goaltending has been pretty solid for the most part).  So it’s more than fair to criticize JB for not taking steps in these areas.  

the office yes GIF

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The only goal I really had a problem with Hutton on last night was that blocker side PP goal he gave up late. He could see it the whole way, he just whiffed on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.