GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Erod was the only one who had his man on that play.  Dahlin was floating to the wrong side of the ice.

Technically Dahlin's man was likely the opposing Dman based on how he went to side where Hamilton was. He then collapsed down low to protect the net and gave up Hamilton who scored.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not blaming Hutton for this loss at all.

But games like this are what I was talking about in August when I was wondering about our goaltending.

Bubble teams need wins in games like this and one more save might have meant a win.

I can't look at any of those five goals individually and say "Hutton HAS to have that."

But altogether, you'd think he shoulda saved one of them

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not blaming Hutton for this loss at all.

But games like this are what I was talking about in August when I was wondering about our goaltending.

Bubble teams need wins in games like this and one more save might have meant a win.

So, yes, you feign to qualify your remark, but you're still saying Hutton should have stolen this one.

That's a big, fat negative.  The defense by the Sabres was just bad.  Hutton had no support.  If we had some consistent, responsible defense from the team, you wouldn't be looking at Hutton as a scapegoat.

1 minute ago, ... said:

So, yes, you feign to qualify your remark, but you're still saying Hutton should have stolen this one.

That's a big, fat negative.  The defense by the Sabres was just bad.  Hutton had no support.  If we had some consistent, responsible defense from the team, you wouldn't be looking at Hutton as a scapegoat.

Two shots with no screen, clear view, went in. C’mon.

Edited by SwampD

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah I'm not sure what people are complaining about there. He got beat by his guy, then forced him to lose the puck before he could take a shot on goal, and stayed glued to him. Someone else got to tee up a one timer from pretty far out, and it went in

NHL OT is usually far uglier than that to be honest

It sure as ***** wasn't Dahlin's fault

Damn you Dahlin you gotta assume your teammate is gonna botch there! What were you thinking!?

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, ... said:

High danger areas are called high danger areas for a reason.  We do realize Hasek was scored against, right?

Outside the face off circle is now considered high danger area?

M k.

If that’s the case, then Jason Pominville has the most high danger shots in the history of the NHL.

Edited by SwampD

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

Dahlin and Mitts totally left the player who scored the goal completely alone!  I guess they don't need to cover anyone on the ice.   

None of it happens if Rodrigues doesn't get burned. 

Hutton should have probably had that one, too. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sam had a bad game tonight.

Right now, Risto is better than Dahlin.

We really missed Johansson.

Hutton.

Do people still believe that winning faceoffs doesn’t matter?

1.) All of our defensemen are better than Dahlin
2.) That is not good framing of the argument - the proper claim would be that there is no correlation between a team's faceoff record and its standings position over an entire season of hockey, not that it wouldn't be really handy to win particular faceoffs inside a game, just like it'd be handy to win lots of other one on one battles for the puck

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

2.) That is not good framing of the argument - the proper claim would be that there is no correlation between a team's faceoff record and its standings position over an entire season of hockey, not that it wouldn't be really handy to win particular faceoffs inside a game, just like it'd be handy to win lots of other one on one battles for the puck

Yes Jake McCabe is better than Rasmus Dahlin. 

You're out to lunch. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Outside the face off circle is now considered high danger area?

M k.

If that’s the case, then Jason Pominville has the most high danger shots in the history of the NHL.

Oh, sorry, a shot was from the medium danger area on the PP.  How can I be so confused?

image.thumb.png.138a4b6bc1cd57a17d766b6be93ecf69.png

NHLOHL-shot-distribution-by-danger-zone.

Some basic things are wrong right now.

i don’t understand losing to this team 10 straight games.  Didn’t they have the second longest playoff drought (after us)?  

I don’t understand having 4 days of rest, playing at home, and sleepwalking through half of the game.  

I don’t understand not taking shots and not having traffic in front of the net.  

I don’t see much improvement from last year   I think we added some better players, but here we are 5th in the division, 10th in the conference and already in the midst of a 6 game losing streak free fall.  

I don’t like our forwards and I see maybe 2 in the pipeline that can even help in the next year.  

I’m not sure the coach is an NHL coach   I hope so.  Great guy, smart guy, ya da ya da ... we shall see who is listening to him 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I remember when the nets had a "blade" in the center of the net.  I think that's the blade that severely injured Mark Howe when he slid into it with the "blade" being slightly elevated.  I think they got rid of that net design the next year.  I also remember the steel post moorings that had no give to the net.  I remember Gil Perreault sliding into the net and cracking a few ribs during a Washington Capitals game when Mike Palmateer gave little help to Gil as he was careening toward the net.

Always thought Howe got impaled on 1 of the spikes holding the net in place and not the back of the old Art Ross net.

And also thought that was an impetus to go to the magnets that barely held the net in place.

They went to the new style nets to keep the puck in play as there was no longer a huge pile of netting sitting on the ice and also to keep the puck moving when behind the net rather than getting caught in the "cleavage" of the back of the net.

And the Palmateer injury was Gil's 2nd net induced injury.  He broke his leg back in '73-'74 crashing into the net (a big part of them missing the playoffs that year).

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

2.) That is not good framing of the argument - the proper claim would be that there is no correlation between a team's faceoff record and its standings position over an entire season of hockey, not that it wouldn't be really handy to win particular faceoffs inside a game

I agree with that, and that is the problem I have with a lot of stats. In this case, it lumps the unimportant faceoffs with the important ones. They matter when they matter. And different things matter more at different times.

Can’t see the trees because of the forest kinda thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.