GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Look at the schedule on the Sabres official site.  It doesn't explicitly say Buffalo in the schedules because that's implied.  But for this weekend's games it says:

• VS. CAR
  • VS. OTT
  • @ CHI

Clearly, VS. and @ are NOT equivalent.  If you added the implied BUF to these, they would read:

• BUF VS. CAR
  • BUF VS. OTT
  • BUF @ CHI

So Liger and PA are both wrong.

Some conventions always put the home team last, regardless of the word(s) in between.  I believe I've read that this practice originated with baseball, since the home team always bats last.  But other conventions can use VS. to mean the opposite of @, as in my example above.

The only reason I jumped into this fray is that I think it's a bit unfair for all the people piling on and criticizing jsb's original post in this thread.  He puts a lot of time into and and we shouldn't be criticizing him, especially when he's not wrong.

Apples to oranges.

It's a different convention when it is one team's schedule and the list only has the opponent than when both teams are listed. The away team is always first, whether "@" or "vs." is used.

Horse not dead yet.

image.thumb.png.0b5aeabd564cad68f7dbc6e62b3776a0.png

18 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Hey, let's all argue about sports schedule listing conventions! 

And while at it, I say red is much better than blue.

Who disagrees?

I'm guessing @New Scotland (NS) will but I will say he's at least gotten the conversation away from the logo's.

I also always thought @ had to be followed by something dot org com net or some other such term

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

And yet their season is a mirror image of ours.  I really don't see some huge gap between the two organizations.  Last season is still the aberration to me.  Explosion/long period of suck/explosion/... is the pattern from that team.

Compare the overall depth of Carolina from the Canes to the Checkers, they are ahead of the Sabres there. 

Botterill has done a good job improving the defense over the past two seasons, the forward depth is lacking 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Apples to oranges.

It's a different convention when it is one team's schedule and the list only has the opponent than when both teams are listed. The away team is always first, whether "@" or "vs." is used.

Horse not dead yet.

Be careful or I'll cut your tendon the rest of the way!

i will cut you bring it GIF by Warner Archive

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Compare the overall depth of Carolina from the Canes to the Checkers, they are ahead of the Sabres there. 

Botterill has done a good job improving the defense over the past two seasons, the forward depth is lacking 

We'll see how long it takes for ownership cheapness to dry that out though.  It's not a short-term process, but we'll see it over time.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I do believe that the VS thingie is now a dead horse.

So, lets just agree that from now on we will use @ to make everything very clear, as our esteemed @Eleven suggested.

Now @jsb, it's time to use that edit button on your OP, eh. ?

This would have been so much more fun if I was trolling you ?

But alas, the seriousness of it all makes it a rather  disappointing topic.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Really need a win in this one. 

You'd think Botterill should have known to be more proactive in addressing the forward situation, considering we were one injury to a likely candidate away from the guy they took to the ends of arbitration and refused to even play to start the season being slotted into the 2C role with our 9 million dollar winger. 

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Really need a win in this one. 

You'd think Botterill should have known to be more proactive in addressing the forward situation, considering we were one injury to a likely candidate away from the guy they took to the ends of arbitration and refused to even play to start the season being slotted into the 2C role with our 9 million dollar winger. 

I love this point because whenever I hear we gotta wait until the defense is healthy to trade because of depth, I have this scenario proving that's just a bunch of *****. 

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Colin Miller is the best defenseman we have healthy-scratched in many years.

I think he's been better than McCabe (not going to sit because of his A) and Dahlin (hard to see him sitting) both recently and overall, even if his play has tailed off a bit. 

Miller sitting indicates to me that some Dmen are getting showcased tonight. 

I'm not really a GM, but I play one (a really bad one) in my dreams.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.