GDT: 11/14/19 Carolina vs Buffalo at 7pm ET, MSG &WGR550

jsb

20 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I always thought it was HOME VS. AWAY.

When @ is used, there is a positive indication of who the home team is.  When vs. is used, it's indeterminate.  All of these are true for tonight's game:

• Carolina @ Buffalo
  • Carolina vs. Buffalo
  • Buffalo vs. Carolina

Don't read too much into it.

• Like (+1) 1

So I just looked up our recent games with Carolina. It seemed like we hadn't beaten them in a while.

We've been swept by them every year since 2015-16. Since I first mentioned them in the Bylsma "system" argument early in 16-17, we have faced them 9 times and lost all 9 ?

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But even without Mojo, we're better than Ottawa and probably tied with Chicago. 

Oddly enough, I disagree with you about Ottawa. They might be worse on the back end but they're a better team offensively than the Sabres and they could beat us with Johansson out. 

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When @ is used, there is a positive indication of who the home team is.  When vs. is used, it's indeterminate.  All of these are true for tonight's game:

• Carolina @ Buffalo
  • Carolina vs. Buffalo
  • Buffalo vs. Carolina

No, it is almost universal that the first team listed is away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

• Carolina @ Buffalo
  • Carolina vs. Buffalo
  • Buffalo vs. Carolina

Carolina vs. Buffalo means Carolina at Buffalo. I believe most people know this.

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Oddly enough, I disagree with you about Ottawa. They might be worse on the back end but they're a better team offensively than the Sabres and they could beat us with Johansson out. 

I definitely agree that their offense is surprisingly good. I also dream about Botterill being able to convince MTL to give up 3OA for Brady in a ROR(+) trade like he wanted to. 

But their combo of offense, defense and goaltending is pretty bad

And their power play is operating at a blazing 4/62, or 6.45%

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I definitely agree that their offense is surprisingly good. I also dream about Botterill being able to convince MTL to give up 3OA for Brady in a ROR(+) trade like he wanted to. 

But their combo of offense, defense and goaltending is pretty bad

And their power play is operating at a blazing 4/62, or 6.45%

It's not bad enough to keep them from beating a Sabres team that has no depth scoring though. I'm picturing the Sabres dicking around with the puck in the Ottawa end and somehow failing to actually generate scoring opportunities. We've seen this movie before.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Carolina vs. Buffalo means Carolina at Buffalo. I believe most people know this.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is always the opposite. 

Away v Home

The stars have converged and Liger and PA both agree, it must be the truth.

This would also mean that VS and @ have the same meaning.

Edited by woods-racer

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Soccer lists the home team first. 

[Home team] hosting [away team]

Thought this was a hockey forum

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Common, but by no means universal, and based on the English words represented by @ and vs., only @ indicates a location.  It's a convention, but not a grammatical rule.

hence why I said "almost" universal. 

Look at the schedule on the Sabres official site.  It doesn't explicitly say Buffalo in the schedules because that's implied.  But for this weekend's games it says:

• VS. CAR
  • VS. OTT
  • @ CHI

Clearly, VS. and @ are NOT equivalent.  If you added the implied BUF to these, they would read:

• BUF VS. CAR
  • BUF VS. OTT
  • BUF @ CHI

So Liger and PA are both wrong.

Some conventions always put the home team last, regardless of the word(s) in between.  I believe I've read that this practice originated with baseball, since the home team always bats last.  But other conventions can use VS. to mean the opposite of @, as in my example above.

The only reason I jumped into this fray is that I think it's a bit unfair for all the people piling on and criticizing jsb's original post in this thread.  He puts a lot of time into and and we shouldn't be criticizing him, especially when he's not wrong.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, shrader said:

And yet their season is a mirror image of ours.  I really don't see some huge gap between the two organizations.  Last season is still the aberration to me.  Explosion/long period of suck/explosion/... is the pattern from that team.

I haven’t watched them, but, man, their #fancystats are miles beyond where the Sabres are. It looks like they have a sustainable model for success.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

I always thought it was HOME VS. AWAY.

I can be wrong. 

In North America, if you’re just using “vs.”, then it’s home team listed second. Always.

In Europe (or just in the euro soccer I follow), it’s the precise opposite.

The use of “at” or @ is confusing and should be abandoned.

• Like (+1) 1

Since I see the horse is not quite dead yet.

Last thing I will say about the VS and @ thingies, since I started this whole thingie, is that I have not been critical of @jsb and his fantastic OP to get us started, as usual.  I am confused by it.  That is all.  Any mention of the OP and the OPer is in pure jest.

I now understand that the Sabres are at home in Buffalo (as to the non-sensical home team in the first, or was it the second, game in Sweden) against the nearly full on dastardly Canes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.