Erod is a frustrating player to watch...

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

...and yet they are at or near the cap max.  What's going to happen when they have to fork over big bucks for Reinhart and Dahlin?

Goaltending continues to be a huge problem.  Hopefully UPL is the answer, and he is ready for NHL action next season.

What a mess.  ?

What a weird thing thing to complain about.  Cap has been hell for years because of Murray, and Botterill is one year away from shedding everything except Okposo's contract and opening up more than enough room for those players.  And neither is playing to a top dollar contract right now anyway.

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

What a weird thing thing to complain about.  Cap has been hell for years because of Murray, and Botterill is one year away from shedding everything except Okposo's contract and opening up more than enough room for those players.  And neither is playing to a top dollar contract right now anyway.

I think Samson has been playing pretty well and pretty steady since his bridge contract was signed.  I can see a 8 year / $7.5+ AAV contract for him.

As for Dahlin, I think the Sabres will have to pay for his 'potential', in much the same way that they did for Eich.  So, I would expect a 8 year / $9.5 AAV contract for him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

If Eichel can put up over a point per game every season for the foreseeable future, and Dahlin can get himself close to that same pace next year, this whole mess will have been worth it, although getting Dahlin wasn't by design.

The rebuild has been terribly executed. But it could/should still work out, although on a longer timeline than we'd all like.

I wouldn't be as optimistic if we hadn't lucked into Dahlin though. Dahlin takes the edge off of tanking for Eichel.

It's true that things can certainly still work out with the tank-acquired core, but whether the tank was even necessary or worth it would always be a point of contention, considering the time-line. Correct about Dahlin too, taking the edge off, but him getting "close to" an over-a-point-a-game pace isn't going to happen consistently. D-men don't score like that. 

7 hours ago, Curt said:

The cap “problem” is not long term.  Several dead marginal, overpaid players come off the books after this season, freeing up plenty of cap space to resign all the upcoming Reinharts and Dahlins and probably leaving enough to take on another good player via FA or trade.

But do they? Botterill's ridiculous "re-sign EVERYONE!" last summer may suggest otherwise. Hear's hoping. 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We have about 40 million coming off the cap this year. 

Where did you get this number? lol

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

- - - 

We have about 25 mil in space coming, but that's assuming we let all of: Sheary, Vesey, Rodrigues, Girgensons, Larsson, Scandella, Sobotka, Bogosian, and Hunwick walk. That's 9 players, 7 of which are skating meaningful minutes for this season's team. Those spots need to be filled. 

We also then have to re-sign Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Olofsson, Montour, and Ullmark. 

Reinhart probably about a 4-5 mil raise, Mittelstadt about 2-3 mil raise, what'll Montour go for? So a quick guess, maybe around 12 mil to come in raises? So that leaves ~ 13 mil of space, IF we ditch all those players mentioned. 

Can we fill those 7 spots with 13 mil? We aren't even into where the upgrades are coming from yet and how much THEY get paid. 

It's not a cap bind, really, but it's far from an easy situation to manage, particularly considering the place in the standings we are likely starting from. 

- - - 

Again, the judgment period for how our GM manages the cap hasn't even begun yet. Interesting times ahead. 

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I've never seen worse wraparound attempts than the ones from last night from ERod...

I have.  Also, I see a lot of players who lack the speed to even attempt the wraparounds that ERod attempted.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

Where did you get this number? lol

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

- - - 

We have about 25 mil in space coming, but that's assuming we let all of: Sheary, Vesey, Rodrigues, Girgensons, Larsson, Scandella, Sobotka, Bogosian, and Hunwick walk. That's 9 players, 7 of which are skating meaningful minutes for this season's team. Those spots need to be filled. 

We also then have to re-sign Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Olofsson, Montour, and Ullmark. 

Reinhart probably about a 4-5 mil raise, Mittelstadt about 2-3 mil raise, what'll Montour go for? So a quick guess, maybe around 12 mil to come in raises? So that leaves ~ 13 mil of space, IF we ditch all those players mentioned. 

Can we fill those 7 spots with 13 mil? We aren't even into where the upgrades are coming from yet and how much THEY get paid. 

It's not a cap bind, really, but it's far from an easy situation to manage, particularly considering the place in the standings we are likely starting from. 

- - - 

Again, the judgment period for how our GM manages the cap hasn't even begun yet. Interesting times ahead. 

According to cap friendly they have $33.6m in projected space, and the Cap will mostly likely go up $3m next season.  So $36-37 is close to 40.  In addition Casey is a 10.2c RFA.  Qualifying offer is all that is required, and is not offer sheet eligible.  Montour is still an RFA so unless his deal is long term, his raise will not be that sizable.   Ullmark is QO unless he somehow turns into Binnington.  Sams’ deal could be big. Depends.  After you bury KO in the AHL, you have $20m in space.  

Agree on bold. Next summer is huge.

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Its always next year with this team. 

To point out that next offseason is important because a lot of big decisions will need to be made does not say anything with regards to how the team performs this season.  The two are not directly related.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

To point out that next offseason is important because a lot of big decisions will need to be made does not say anything with regards to how the team performs this season.  The two are not directly related.

I know what you’re saying but my statement was made independent of what anyone else said. I wasn’t quoting anyone. Just making an observation. They always dangle the carrot of future potential without actually competing in the present. Its maddening.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.