Curtis Lazar Called Up. Scandella and Bogo returning to practice today.

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

This makes week to week seem exaggerated. What are the odds he's back in by the Bruins game? Is a conditioning stint in Rochester a possibility? 

This seems like a likely move to give JB a bit more time.

Separately:  for those demanding a trade ASAP -- I think it's pretty likely that the right trade hasn't presented itself.  i.e. no one is offering a good forward for Risto -- more like their version of Erod or TT or KO, or maybe a draft pick.  I doubt anyone here would be satisfied with that kind of return, or with a 5th-rounder for Scandy or similar move that wouldn't bring in a clear upgrade at forward.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This seems like a likely move to give JB a bit more time.

Separately:  for those demanding a trade ASAP -- I think it's pretty likely that the right trade hasn't presented itself.  i.e. no one is offering a good forward for Risto -- more like their version of Erod or TT or KO, or maybe a draft pick.  I doubt anyone here would be satisfied with that kind of return, or with a 5th-rounder for Scandy or similar move that wouldn't bring in a clear upgrade at forward.

Something has to give though.  There are too many bodies at this point and you can't just assume injuries will take care of that.  I'm not really sure why people are so adamant about the team not wanting to waive Gilmour.  He is by far the most obvious of choices should they reach the point of too many "healthy" players.  The kid has played 3 games.  That's not the guy that cripples the team in the rare case that he's actually claimed.

If you're forced with the option of either forcing a trade or waiving Gilmour, I'd say the decision is pretty obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Something has to give though.  There are too many bodies at this point and you can't just assume injuries will take care of that.  I'm not really sure why people are so adamant about the team not wanting to waive Gilmour.  He is by far the most obvious of choices should they reach the point of too many "healthy" players.  The kid has played 3 games.  That's not the guy that cripples the team in the rare case that he's actually claimed.

If you're forced with the option of either forcing a trade or waiving Gilmour, I'd say the decision is pretty obvious.

I don't think anyone here wouldn't waive Gilmour. But I think the consensus is that Botterill likes him and doesn't want to expose him to waivers because he would get claimed.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He's been recalled, why would he play for the Amerks and not be up in Buffalo to skate with the team? 

I’m expecting that he won’t play in Rochester tonight. That’s why “we” Amerks fans won’t see him on the ice tonight. ?

39 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think anyone here wouldn't waive Gilmour. But I think the consensus is that Botterill likes him and doesn't want to expose him to waivers because he would get claimed.

But that's the part I don't agree with.  He's not getting claimed.  And even if he does, it's not a major loss.

• Like (+1) 1

OK, so here's some positivity:  I think there's a reasonable chance that having Bogo in the lineup will inspire his teammates and help stop the team's nose-dive.

Bogo is a tough, big SOB who clears the crease, plays with fire in the belly and stands up for his teammates and is well-liked and well-respected by his teammates.  He's also in a contract year.

I don't disagree with the roughly 14 million posts in the last couple of weeks decrying the Sabres' lack of scoring depth at forward, but I think the primary issue right now is between the ears.  They are tentative, scared and feel in the pit of their stomachs that they are going to lose.  (That's what the tank does.  Hello @LGR4GM.)  It takes a primal force like Jim Kelly to blast that fear to smithereens. 

Bogo ain't Jimbo, but he'll die trying and it might be the spark they need.

Go Sabres. 

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK, so here's some positivity:  I think there's a reasonable chance that having Bogo in the lineup will inspire his teammates and help stop the team's nose-dive.

Bogo is a tough, big SOB who clears the crease, plays with fire in the belly and stands up for his teammates and is well-liked and well-respected by his teammates.  He's also in a contract year.

I don't disagree with the roughly 14 million posts in the last couple of weeks decrying the Sabres' lack of scoring depth at forward, but I think the primary issue right now is between the ears.  They are tentative, scared and feel in the pit of their stomachs that they are going to lose.  (That's what the tank does.  Hello @LGR4GM.)  It takes a primal force like Jim Kelly to blast that fear to smithereens. 

Bogo ain't Jimbo, but he'll die trying and it might be the spark they need.

Go Sabres. 

I think this is bs. You want to claim the tank strips the team of talent and it takes years to recover, sure. I can buy that theory as it at least is logical. If your working hypothesis is that because of the tank, players who weren't even here during it are tentative and scared, that's some special form of correlation and causation similar to people who think vaccines cause autism AKA it's completely unfounded nonsense. Bogo won't do anything for this team because the team lacks talent in the forward groups. That's why we spent the entire summer lamenting Botterill's inability to improve it. Bogo can show up and yell and hit and do whatever but until the forward groups are supplemented with at least 2 top 6 players of value, we are dead in the water.

You want to win the tank battle fine. But the Rebuild War is still just beginning. There was a reason I freaked out when we traded for Lehner instead of drafting Boeser. There was a reason I have critically appraised the last 2 drafts of the Sabres in particular with their emphasis on Defense. Remember why I argued against ROR trade in the first place was because I wanted to reach critical mass with young talented players. ROR ended up being a good trade but then we compounded errors by trading him for nothing. Hell no one has brought this up but Fabbri was traded off St Louis for nothing a year later and is actually a useful player in Detroit. Well done Botterill (sarcasm).  

We are the inversion of Toronto in that we have all the defense and no forwards. Both teams are critical flawed and they aren't gonna lose because the tank was scary for players not even here for it. They are going to lose because the team lacks the critical mass of talent necessary to take that next step. Murray attempted to speed up the acquisition of that and Botterill has done it but only on defense. So here we sit. A mediocre team that can't score goals because the forward groups are mediocre perimeter players. Until that's fixed Bogo could cut his heart out Temple of Doom style and it wouldn't be a big enough sacrifice to drag this team to the playoffs. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Bogosian will inspire this team to play well and will demand his teammates to play up to his level, just as he has with all the other good teams has been on.........

Bogosian has literally never been a member of a good NHL team.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Bogosian will inspire this team to play well and will demand his teammates to play up to his level, just as he has with all the other good teams has been on.........

Plus, he'll be back on IR before February.

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Total number of NHL regular season games Zach Bogosian has played in: 617

Total number of NHL playoff games Zach Bogosian has played in: 0

So glad the great and tough Zach Bogosian is coming to help our forwards score more goals. Didn't know he had the power to make them go to the net and fight better in puck battles. 

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.