Sabres anthem singers down through the years

PASabreFan

I though it might be fun to have a little anthem singer tournament and was hoping to have eight nominees. I didn't quite get there.

So who do we have here? Joe Byron sang the anthem in the Aud for many years. Of course there's Doug Allen. Henry Pendleton and Sue Britton were two of the singers bridging Byron and Allen.

Ingrid Smolinska sang a lot of times during the Satanic Era, including in the final in 99.

Need three more.

Edited by PASabreFan

24 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

...and while we're at it, I'll take War Memorial, the Rockpile, and the the rinky dink AFL, and taking your personal safety into possible hazard when going to a game. There was nothing "corporate" about it,...official this, official that. It was organic, and it was love!

I'll never forget the trough-style urinals at the Rockpile.  As a young kid they were intimidating but I got over my bashful kidney real fast.  I don't think the bathrooms were heated either; I can remember being very cold in there.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I'll never forget the trough-style urinals at the Rockpile.  As a young kid they were intimidating but I got over my bashful kidney real fast.  I don't think the bathrooms were heated either; I can remember being very cold in there.

Are they heated at New Era?  I'm not sure they are.  

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Who's the guy who said racist stuff?  Ronan Tynan...

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Dude was a good anthem singer but it always felt like such a weird choice. Like, he was too good to be a singer at sports in Buffalo. 

I guess he was a good singer. He immediately came off to me as so damn smarmy - I never cared for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Joe Byron was the best.  I miss him and always hoped they could replace him with someone of a similar style, but they never have.  Has he passed away?  It's been many years (decades?) since he sang.  He had that classic style ("opera" style) that you rarely see today.  I think Montreal used to have a similar type of guy who would do O Canada in half English and half French.  Tynan arguably has that style, but he's not a permanent Buffalo guy - he would just come in on occasion; plus, with the whole Yankee stadium, post 9-11 thing, he got a little too big for his britches.

Edited by msw2112

7 hours ago, Sabresince70 said:

In Allentown (PA) - we would only get national games, Phlyer, Ranger and Islander games in the '80s. I used to record them. The Ranger game right after the Challenger blew up, Sue Britton did God Bless America. Showed it to my daughters a little while ago. Still gives goose bumps.

Where the fork you been, bro?  You need to stop in far more often.  ?

On 11/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Doohickie said:

Shrinkage ...

On 11/15/2019 at 11:38 AM, msw2112 said:

Joe Byron was the best.  I miss him and always hoped they could replace him with someone of a similar style, but they never have.  Has he passed away?  It's been many years (decades?) since he sang.  He had that classic style ("opera" style) that you rarely see today.  I think Montreal used to have a similar type of guy who would do O Canada in half English and half French.  Tynan arguably has that style, but he's not a permanent Buffalo guy - he would just come in on occasion; plus, with the whole Yankee stadium, post 9-11 thing, he got a little too big for his britches.

Roger Doucet in Montreal.

Anyone know if Doug Allen is the part time anthem singer because of other commitments, or is it the Sabres choice?  If the latter, I wish they would revisit this, pick a person, and have that be your go to person for all 41 games(unless of emergency).

On a related side note and I have no idea how much truth there is in this, but I was told 5-10 years ago, that Doug Allen has to leave the arena after singing unless he has a ticket to the game.

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone know if Doug Allen is the part time anthem singer because of other commitments, or is it the Sabres choice?  If the latter, I wish they would revisit this, pick a person, and have that be your go to person for all 41 games(unless of emergency).

On a related side note and I have no idea how much truth there is in this, but I was told 5-10 years ago, that Doug Allen has to leave the arena after singing unless he has a ticket to the game.

There are a few features on Doug Allen you can find online. I believe one of them talks about his work and volunteer commitments occasionally causing him to miss games. Has he been gone more this year? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure about the ticket thing. It doesn't sound right, honestly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.