Jbot Do Something Already Fall 2019

GASabresIUFAN

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

Welp that does nothing to challenge my belief that we have one of the worst scouting departments (particularly in NA) in the entire league. And when I think of the quality of NHL scouting (or it's lack thereof) I am reminded of this anecdote: several years back several teams refused to pick a kid in the first because he suffered a non hockey injury that proved he wasn't taking the sport seriously. Furthermore he came off as someone with an attitude problem because when asked in an interview why a team should draft him he replied "Don't pick me and see how that works for you". That kid's name?

Mat Barzal.

Anecdotally, sure.  However, there are a lot of players who fall into the same story line that we never hear about because they are a mess. Sometimes you take the shot and others you play the percentages.  Every team/GM does it.

19 hours ago, sabremike said:

Welp that does nothing to challenge my belief that we have one of the worst scouting departments (particularly in NA) in the entire league. And when I think of the quality of NHL scouting (or it's lack thereof) I am reminded of this anecdote: several years back several teams refused to pick a kid in the first because he suffered a non hockey injury that proved he wasn't taking the sport seriously. Furthermore he came off as someone with an attitude problem because when asked in an interview why a team should draft him he replied "Don't pick me and see how that works for you". That kid's name?

Mat Barzal.

The picks I did not agree with were Samuelsson at 32 in 2018 and then Ryan Johnson at 31 in 2019 only because they drafted Samuelsson the year before. Johnson will be the better defenseman, IMO. 

If any scouting department missed out on Barzal it was Boston’s who passed on him with the 13, 14, and 15th Picks. Imagine the Bruins second line had they drafted Kyle Connor, Mat Barzal and Brock Boeser with those picks? 

Kaliyev’s main problem was on ice where he would take large portions if not the entire game off. His  on ice desire was a question mark, his talent never was. 

On 11/15/2019 at 6:44 AM, LGR4GM said:

Skinner, montour, miller, vesey, Jokiharju. All trades after ROR.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, Thorny said:

True, but in none of those cases were we moving a bigger name player, as would be expected in a Ristolainen type deal, for example. 

Correct. All of Botterill's trades post-ROR have been picks/prospects going out, not NHL talent. Doesn't mean Botterill is gunshy, but the trade dynamics aren't good comparisons. 

My suspicion for awhile has been Botterill learned the right lesson but is applying it to the wrong player(s). So I don't think he's afraid to get burned (though I can appear that way), I just think he's sticking to his guns on players who just aren't as valuable as he wants them to be. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Correct. All of Botterill's trades post-ROR have been picks/prospects going out, not NHL talent. Doesn't mean Botterill is gunshy, but the trade dynamics aren't good comparisons. 

My suspicion for awhile has been Botterill learned the right lesson but is applying it to the wrong player(s). So I don't think he's afraid to get burned (though I can appear that way), I just think he's sticking to his guns on players who just aren't as valuable as he wants them to be. 

I think I agree with this.

Trade dynamics early in the season are nearly impossible to quantify.  Right now I doubt Jbot is getting much value in any offer with the Sabres is desperation mode.  We need forwards and maybe even 3 NHL forwards and we have D to trade but none have been stellar of late to generate much interest.  Miller is on the bench.  Dahlin and Joker aren’t available.  McCabe and Risto have been blah, likely hurting any market value.  Montour has just gotten back into the lineup but hasn’t really helped.  That leaves Scandy who is having a decent season so far and is an UFA. However he is a 3rd pairing guy carrying a $4 mill price tag.  Is he really going to get us a NHL forward that will help?  

Jbot is going to have to come up with a package to get what he wants, but our injury situation makes that even more difficult. 

Lets hope MoJo gets back soon and someone like Lazar and Asplund start contributing. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Are we desperate enough to call Troy Brouwer, Vanek or Pommers for a try out?

They can’t be worse then what we have right now.

If KO goes to LTIR and Bogo comes off, the difference in contract amount will be enough to sign such a player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I have a suspicion Kyle will be back on the ice sooner rather than later 

Very possible.  Which will get him that next big concussion all that much sooner. 

Really not looking forward to him being back within the next month.  (Which is likely when he'll be back.)

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So it's talent evaluation issues. Huzzah!!

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.