Jbot Do Something Already Fall 2019

GASabresIUFAN

Rinse Wash and Repeat is now No Win November.

Another feel good streak has gone by the wayside.  Lack of depth scoring has reared it's ugly head, defensive breakdowns abound, but so far the goaltending is holding together.

This team needs help before all the new found confidence is shot. 

The solution is an early season trade to get forward help.  A center and or RW would be nice.  (I think we heard that before).  I also think RK needs to shuffle the lines some 5 on 5.  

Can Jbot get it done, or will he sit on his hands again like last year?  Cap concerns will limit his options.  We are going to have to send out at least as much cap $ as we receive.  

I really think he has to do something this time.  Fans re-engaged with the good start and there is depth on D and overall better talent to make a run to the playoffs, but Jbot needs to show the players he supports the team unlike last year.  Personally, I'd move Colin Miller.  With Risto, Joker and Montour all healthy, Miller is the least of that group.  He won't be getting much PP time to utilize his shot, might as well trade him to someone who will give him that opportunity.   

By the way Dahlin looked much better in Housley's system then he has so far in RK's.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rinse Wash and Repeat is now No Win November.

Another feel good streak has gone by the wayside.  Lack of depth scoring has reared it's ugly head, defensive breakdowns abound, but so far the goaltending is holding together.

This team needs help before all the new found confidence is shot. 

The solution is an early season trade to get forward help.  A center and or RW would be nice.  (I think we heard that before).  I also think RK needs to shuffle the lines some 5 on 5.  

Can Jbot get it done, or will he sit on his hands again like last year?  Cap concerns will limit his options.  We are going to have to send out at least as much cap $ as we receive.  

I really think he has to do something this time.  Fans re-engaged with the good start and there is depth on D and overall better talent to make a run to the playoffs, but Jbot needs to show the players he supports the team unlike last year.  Personally, I'd move Colin Miller.  With Risto, Joker and Montour all healthy, Miller is the least of that group.  He won't be getting much PP time to utilize his shot, might as well trade him to someone who will give him that opportunity.   

By the way Dahlin looked much better in Housley's system then he has so far in RK's.   

There is almost no chance of this.   None.  When was the last time a GM trade for a player (with term) and then shipped out after 3 months?  I’m guessing maybe never.  I see Ristolainen, McCabe, Scandella, and Bogo traded this season, but not Miller.  Miller actually should get a chance on the second PP after Risto gets traded.   Put two defense and only three forwards.   Miller has an above average point shot and Mountour can skate and pass better than most on the second grouping.   Makes no sense to try and have them set up the same way the first grouping does.  Change the strategy to fit the players on the ice.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

There is almost no chance of this.   None.  When was the last time a GM trade for a player (with term) and then shipped out after 3 months?  I’m guessing maybe never.  I see Ristolainen, McCabe, Scandella, and Bogo traded this season, but not Miller.  Miller actually should get a chance on the second PP after Risto gets traded.   Put two defense and only three forwards.   Miller has an above average point shot and Mountour can skate and pass better than most on the second grouping.   Makes no sense to try and have them set up the same way the first grouping does.  Change the strategy to fit the players on the ice.  

I like the thinking of a different set up.  I would rather have Joker though as he has a knack for getting shots through traffic better than Miller.

2 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

There is almost no chance of this.   None.  When was the last time a GM trade for a player (with term) and then shipped out after 3 months?  I’m guessing maybe never.  I see Ristolainen, McCabe, Scandella, and Bogo traded this season, but not Miller. Miller actually should get a chance on the second PP after Risto gets traded.   Put two defense and only three forwards.  Miller has an above average point shot and Mountour can skate and pass better than most on the second grouping.   Makes no sense to try and have them set up the same way the first grouping does.  Change the strategy to fit the players on the ice.  

Umm, that's how Krueger 's been running the 2nd PP unit.  Ristolainen, Miller, Johansson, Mittelstadt, and Sheary.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, that's how Krueger 's been running the 2nd PP unit.  Ristolainen, Miller, Johansson, Mittelstadt, and Sheary.

Midnight toking aside, a lapse in judgement. ?  Thank you.  I acknowledge the Senator from NY.   I stand behind my statement about the low chance of his trade or that he should be traded.  

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Two guys he absolutely should not move.

Someone needs to be voted off the island.

Dahlin isn't getting traded.

Joker isn't getting traded.

I also doubt Montour is on the block.

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Don't be so sure.  One of Risto or Miller is the most like RHD trade candidate because they have term at cap reasonable numbers.    Players get acquired and traded all the time, but it's usually an UFA signing that isn't working out or the player doesn't fit the system.  

We need help on the PK, and scoring.  What do we have of value that will help us get those kind of players?  Scandella is an UFA and currently injured, Bogo is on LTIR, Pilut is unproven and McCabe is solidly average but is our most consistent LHD.  Montour is an RFA and 2 years younger then Miller and a better player.  That leaves Miller and Risto as the most likely trade candidates.  Also RK has been trying Dahlin as an RD as well.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Thompson get a call up to see where he is.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

22 hours ago, Dr. Mike said:

The Chicken Little thread.  How about relax.  

I might agree with this, if the moves we so clearly need now weren't the exact same ones we said they needed all offseason. Leading to:

18 hours ago, SwampD said:

Two guys he absolutely should not move.

We need a hockey trade, to move a "should not move" guy, in order to bring in a real top 6 forward, that other team's fans may have in the "should not move" category. Contrary to what others are mentioning, depth isn't the issue. The issue is top 6 talent. Johansson was a fine depth add. We have a great "4th line" with Girgs, KO, and Larsson. We have plenty of depth players that I think we'll see more success from if we actually have a top 6 opening things up on the scoreboard. Not to mention, a guy currently playing in the top 6 that'll get bumped down to further supplement depth, if an addition is brought in. 

It's not time to "mortgage the future" by trading a bunch of picks and prospects. It's time to utilize our surplus on D to acquire a bonafide top 6 talent.

Jack and Sam aren't getting it done paired together at ES, we know Skinner and Jack can. I'd already have Skinner up with Jack and Reinhart down on line 2. Bring in the best RW they can get and play that guy with Jack and Jeff, or the best LW they can get and play that guy with Johansson and Reinhart. 

I still move Ristolainen. The fact he's getting as many minutes as he is isn't a reason not to move him in my book, because he shouldn't be getting close to those minutes. I don't buy the "who else is gonna play them, then?" argument. It's not working. What's the fear if the minutes are more evenly distributed among the 6, that it'll continue to not work? He'll fetch the biggest return, and he has the highest salary of the trade candidates, and we need salary going out in order to bring in quality in. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I might agree with this, if the moves we so clearly need now weren't the exact same ones we said they needed all offseason. Leading to:

We need a hockey trade, to move a "should not move" guy, in order to bring in a real top 6 forward, that other team's fans may have in the "should not move" category. Contrary to what others are mentioning, depth isn't the issue. The issue is top 6 talent. Johansson was a fine depth add. We have a great "4th line" with Girgs, KO, and Larsson. We have plenty of depth players that I think we'll see more success from if we actually have a top 6 opening things up on the scoreboard. Not to mention, a guy currently playing in the top 6 that'll get bumped down to further supplement depth, if an addition is brought in. 

It's not time to "mortgage the future" by trading a bunch of picks and prospects. It's time to utilize our surplus on D to acquire a bonafide top 6 talent.

Jack and Sam aren't getting it done paired together at ES, we know Skinner and Jack can. I'd already have Skinner up with Jack and Reinhart down on line 2. Bring in the best RW they can get and play that guy with Jack and Jeff, or the best LW they can get and play that guy with Johansson and Reinhart. 

I still move Ristolainen. The fact he's getting as many minutes as he is isn't a reason not to move him in my book, because he shouldn't be getting close to those minutes. I don't buy the "who else is gonna play them, then?" argument. It's not working. What's the fear if the minutes are more evenly distributed among the 6, that it'll continue to not work? He'll fetch the biggest return, and he has the highest salary of the trade candidates, and we need salary going out in order to bring in quality in. 

Aren't they?  We just saw their line get 5 goals in 2 games at ES (yes, 1 was EN, but still 5v5).  I'd pull Olofsson from those 2 before pulling them apart.  (And as stated elsewhere, the preference would be to replace him with Ehlers - make it happen Botterill.)

We've also seen Johansson and Skinner work pretty well together with a true boat anchor for 16 games.  What could those 2 do with somebody not named Vlad on the opposite side?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Aren't they?  We just saw their line get 5 goals in 2 games at ES (yes, 1 was EN, but still 5v5).  I'd pull Olofsson from those 2 before pulling them apart.  (And as stated elsewhere, the preference would be to replace him with Ehlers - make it happen Botterill.)

We've also seen Johansson and Skinner work pretty well together with a true boat anchor for 16 games.  What could those 2 do with somebody not named Vlad on the opposite side?

In their entire career they haven't had positive results together at ES, 5 goals in 2 games be damned. Regardless, we know for a fact they haven't been as good together at ES as Jack and Jeff have, so I'd have them together. Botterill lip serviced all summer "Reinhart can drive his own line". So, give him the chance. 

It's all irrelevant if they don't bring in another top 6 player. 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

In their entire career they haven't had positive results together at ES, 5 goals in 2 games be damned. Regardless, we know for a fact they haven't been as good together at ES as Jack and Jeff have, so I'd have them together. Botterill lip serviced all summer "Reinhart can drive his own line". So, give him the chance.

It's all irrelevant if they don't bring in another top 6 player.

To the bolded, to a large degree, true.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because Housley was an idiot and gave the kid way too much ice time and let him run offensively without teaching him how to play defense at an NHL level. Young D men come into the league nowadays with solid offensive skills but they still have a lot to learn to become complete players. Same mistake was made with Risto and arguably with Meyers. Team is always so desperate they put way too much on the promising kid rather than developing their fundamentals and all around play. Can't undo what is done, but if you want him to be a long term star and complete player he needs a little retraining. Hopefully Smith and Krueger are giving it to him between games and hopefully he is willing to learn. 

It is not unusual for young D men to take a step backward in their 2nd and even 3rd year before getting it all together. I wouldn't worry about Dahlin and I wouldn't compare him to last year. 

As for the team, it's just same old same old. They quit, they play soft, and many of them simply lack talent. It's a thin roster that is held together by threads and falls apart easily. Krueger clearly preaches and expects more defensive responsibility from his forwards than Housley did and he has his D playing more D and driving the play a little less, but nobody goes to the dirty areas, we don't screen the goalie well, we don't stand up for each other, and we take lame shots from the perimeter with no rebounds that make the opposing goalies look good. 

The team is rubbish. Mark my words, if Risto hasn't quit yet he will quit by the end of the month and force a trade (for nothing much) and next year it might be Jack's turn. 

But go ahead people, blame it all on Vlad.

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Because Housley was an idiot and gave the kid way too much ice time and let him run offensively without teaching him how to play defense at an NHL level. Young D men come into the league nowadays with solid offensive skills but they still have a lot to learn to become complete players. Same mistake was made with Risto and arguably with Meyers. Team is always so desperate they put way too much on the promising kid rather than developing their fundamentals and all around play. Can't undo what is done, but if you want him to be a long term star and complete player he needs a little retraining. Hopefully Smith and Krueger are giving it to him between games and hopefully he is willing to learn. 

It is not unusual for young D men to take a step backward in their 2nd and even 3rd year before getting it all together. I wouldn't worry about Dahlin and I wouldn't compare him to last year. 

As for the team, it's just same old same old. They quit, they play soft, and many of them simply lack talent. It's a thin roster that is held together by threads and falls apart easily. Krueger clearly preaches and expects more defensive responsibility from his forwards than Housley did and he has his D playing more D and driving the play a little less, but nobody goes to the dirty areas, we don't screen the goalie well, we don't stand up for each other, and we take lame shots from the perimeter with no rebounds that make the opposing goalies look good. 

The team is rubbish. Mark my words, if Risto hasn't quit yet he will quit by the end of the month and force a trade (for nothing much) and next year it might be Jack's turn. 

But go ahead people, blame it all on Vlad.

?

So, to paraphrase: Housley screwed up Dahlin but guys tail off in their 2nd year anyhow and he'll be good by his 4th year.

And Ristolainen will quit on the team soon if he hasn't already.  (But from previous posts don't you DARE suggest trading him.)

?

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

?

So, to paraphrase: Housley screwed up Dahlin but guys tail off in their 2nd year anyhow and he'll be good by his 4th year.

And Ristolainen will quit on the team soon if he hasn't already.  (But from previous posts don't you DARE suggest trading him.)

?

Exactly. Regarding the first point, if we still had Housley and the path continued we might have ruined Dahlin and made him less than he can be long term - just like Risto. Fortunately, Krueger seems to be better and I expect in time Dahlin will be a complete player and a star. Assuming he listens to coaches and works hard, which I think he does. I'm not worried about Dahlin at this point.

Regarding the second, yes, this team ruined Risto. Can he be fixed? I'm not sure, but it is suicidal to trade away one of the few physical players we have on an ultra soft hockey team. The issue of his quitting is based on the slide we seem to be entering, so in the end there is no choice and it'll end up being another ROR. He won't Conn Smyth with somebody, but a good team might be able to rebuild him, which we aren't able to do when we can't build a proper roster around him. 

29 minutes ago, Weave said:

In before Eleven doesn't speak meme.

Yeah, you nailed it.  I get the angry women on the left; I have no idea what the cat on the right is supposed to represent.  It's just a cat. And all cats are *****; is the message that Botterill is *****?

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.