OT: Buffalo Restaurants

WildCard

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

And I've screwed it up--It's Bar Bill and not Bill Bar, isn't it?  Sorry.  That's what they get for not ever having enough room for me!

They’re well worth the wait. Place is pretty small but the food is very very good. IMO they have the best wings and beef on weck in the area(maybe the world). Usually split a beef on weck with whoever I go with as they’re pretty big and get a single order of wings for myself with a bar bill lager to wash them down.  You can order to go. Usually takes 40-45 mins though so order in advance.

5 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

They’re well worth the wait. Place is pretty small but the food is very very good. IMO they have the best wings and beef on weck in the area(maybe the world). Usually split a beef on weck with whoever I go with as they’re pretty big and get a single order of wings for myself with a bar bill lager to wash them down.  You can order to go. Usually takes 40-45 mins though so order in advance.

Bar-Bill has the best restaurant wings around.  (Though I've had and made better; but not really fair to compare making 2 batches versus 2,000.). But their line / wait times have gotten ridiculous the past 2 years.  Would probably take out of towners to Elmo's now (assuming they don't want Anchor Bar or Duffs for the name recognition) as you can actually get in within a day or 2 and they're my choice for 2nd best restaurant wings.

Beef on Weck is (IMHO) 2nd best to Schwabl's.  If only Schwabl's served wings.  (Of course, if they did it'd take at least 3 days to get a table.  The beef IS that good.). And if you go to Schwabl's you have to try the (non-alcoholic) birch beer.  (Were I to ever drink pop again, that would be THE choice.)

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Bar-Bill has the best restaurant wings around.  (Though I've had and made better; but not really fair to compare making 2 batches versus 2,000.). But their line / wait times have gotten ridiculous the past 2 years.  Would probably take out of towners to Elmo's now (assuming they don't want Anchor Bar or Duffs for the name recognition) as you can actually get in within a day or 2 and they're my choice for 2nd best restaurant wings.

Beef on Weck is (IMHO) 2nd best to Schwabl's.  If only Schwabl's served wings.  (Of course, if they did it'd take at least 3 days to get a table.  The beef IS that good.). And if you go to Schwabl's you have to try the (non-alcoholic) birch beer.  (Were I to ever drink pop again, that would be THE choice.)

I’m gonna have to try to go to schwabls again. The wait was ridiculous the time we went and everyone was hungry and didn’t want to wait. If it’s better than bar bills I would definitely wait for that. 

37 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

I’m gonna have to try to go to schwabls again. The wait was ridiculous the time we went and everyone was hungry and didn’t want to wait. If it’s better than bar bills I would definitely wait for that. 

For beef on weck it is.  IMHO. 

And the wait can get crazy bad on a weekend because there's only about 14 tables total in the dining room.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Weave said:

Do tell....

Back when they actually served food on plain flights, you could call the airline ahead of your flight and request a meal for dietary restrictions, including Kosher, vegetarian, gluten free, etc., and sometimes you could get better quality food that way, or at least be able to choose something you prefer rather than the Choice A chicken or Choice B beer they typically served.

I suppose this is still a thing for transoceanic flights.  I haven't traveled overseas in 5 years.

Edited by Doohickie

6 hours ago, Kr632 said:

My mom lives near Schwabl's.  It was sublime when we went there.  Not sure why, but there was no wait at all when we went.  I checked my Facebook post- we got there before 5 pm on a Saturday.  It wouldn't take much to have to wait though.  Tiny little place.

20374618_1357063717675848_81074295193238

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Back when they actually served food on plain flights, you could call the airline ahead of your flight and request a meal for dietary restrictions, including Kosher, vegetarian, gluten free, etc., and sometimes you could get better quality food that way, or at least be able to choose something you prefer rather than the Choice A chicken or Choice B beer they typically served.

I suppose this is still a thing for transoceanic flights.  I haven't traveled overseas in 5 years.

My flights to/from Europe in 2018 did not have meals.  Granted, out of YYZ (and back), each flight was only five hours, but I would think that is a sufficiently long flight that they would serve something.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

As of last year I got a meal on a flight to Munich.  Didn’t know that the kosher option once had a rep for being a better quality option.

50 minutes ago, Weave said:

As of last year I got a meal on a flight to Munich.  Didn’t know that the kosher option once had a rep for being a better quality option.

Back when I was doing more air travel, I experienced first-hand that kosher was superior. I think its superiority was largely a function of the fact that the meal would be more fresh than the other meals and would also be less mass-produced.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Back when I was doing more air travel, I experienced first-hand that kosher was superior. I think its superiority was largely a function of the fact that the meal would be more fresh than the other meals and would also be less mass-produced.

That’s interesting. I think I’ll ask for a Kosher meal next time I get the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.