OT: Buffalo Restaurants

WildCard

It's been so long since I lived in WNY, but this thread made me look to see how many restaurants I loved in Buffalo are still alive and kicking.

Chef's, San Marco, the Eagle House, Ted's, Duff's, Oliver's, Bob & John's La Hacienda and of course Bocce Club, are all still going strong.  Amazing. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Gabe's overcooks their wings and prefer Bar Bill, Sidelines, or Elmos. 

I’ve tried to get Gabe’s to over cook my wings but they always come out just barely done. Was 6-7 years ago and haven’t been back since so maybe they’ve changed.

Bar bill is by far my favorite. Cajun honey butter BBQ? and the hot wings that are actually hot! Not to mention the beef on weck(idk if it’s gluten free).  Also it’s not really Buffalo but it’s close enough and east aurora is a nice place to spend an afternoon

Sidelines and Elmo’s are good choices as well. I’ll add Wing Kings to the list. 

Cant really help on gluten free restaurants tho. 

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And by the way, even if you go to somewhere not specifically gluten free, ask the server about gluten free options.  My wife is gluten free and she's gotten some pretty creative fare by chefs/cooks using common (gluten free) ingredients.

This is true. I had a business lunch at Chef's a while back, and was surprised when someone in the group ordered a GF pasta dish. I can't recall if he had the traditional house red sauce (which may not be GF), but he definitely got pasta, it was definitely GF, and he definitely took his leftovers to go.

17 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Betty's, it's nestled away on Virginia St, Great place, I have eaten there before, and though I'm not huge into the GF and etc, I loved it there. 

So good.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Not going Saturday but for my money the best wings I've had in Buffalo are still Gabriel's Gates. I'd be curious to hear others' opinions 

The Gate is my preferred #1, but I do find that your mileage can vary. I think there's some inconsistency with the help they have.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Gabe's overcooks their wings and prefer Bar Bill, Sidelines, or Elmos. 

Gabe's? It's T/the Gate, homie.

The thing with Bar Bill is that, not only are they so good, they always bring their A-game. Consistency is worth a lot. Then again, they are in East Aurora. Elmo's is excellent, and convenient to UB. Sidelines? Solid, but not great.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is true. I had a business lunch at Chef's a while back, and was surprised when someone in the group ordered a GF pasta dish. I can't recall if he had the traditional house red sauce (which may not be GF), but he definitely got pasta, it was definitely GF, and he definitely took his leftovers to go.

We learned this when we went to a formal dance associated with the high school where my wife taught (the JROTC military ball).  They held it at a Sheraton and she put her request through prior to the event and when they brought her food out a lot of people saw it and asked, "How do I get some of that???"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

We learned this when we went to a formal dance associated with the high school where my wife taught (the JROTC military ball).  They held it at a Sheraton and she put her request through prior to the event and when they brought her food out a lot of people saw it and asked, "How do I get some of that???"

It's a bit like the air travel hack of ordering a kosher meal.

• Like (+1) 1

Since we're on wings, for whatever reason (I suppose they are gluten free), I'll give a shoutout to Thirsty Buffalo on Elmwood.  The wings are pretty great.  

I have yet to try Bar Bill, mostly because every time I go, it's an hour wait for a table, and possibly longer for a bar spot.  But that hour wait must be for a reason, right?

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

Not going Saturday but for my money the best wings I've had in Buffalo are still Gabriel's Gates. I'd be curious to hear others' opinions 

Gabriel’s is excellent.  

Bill Bar - The original is in East Aurora has a great vibe and there is a new one  in Clarence that I think just opened.  

Great Beef on Weck and great wings.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Gabriel’s is excellent.  

Bill Bar - The original is in East Aurora has a great vibe and there is a new on in Clarence that I think just opened.  

Great Beef on Weck and great wings.  

1.  WAS excellent.  

I'm not being a jerk here.  I love the Gate.  (It's "the Gate," and not "Gabriel's," and has been since I was a teenager.)  It was a second home during a certain period of my life.  But the quality is way way off.  

2.  I believe that Bill Bar either opened last weekend or is opening this weekend in Clarence.  As above, if the wait times in EA are any indication, the wings must be amazing.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

1.  WAS excellent.  

I'm not being a jerk here.  I love the Gate.  (It's "the Gate," and not "Gabriel's.")  It was a second home during a certain period of my life.  But the quality is way way off.  

2.  I believe that Bill Bar either opened last weekend or is opening this weekend in Clarence.  As above, if the wait times in EA are any indication, the wings must be amazing.

My wife and I like to split a Beef on Weck and an order of wings at Bill Bar.    They are Definitely into quality control.  The even place the wings on your plate in a symmetrical pattern.  

Just now, Pimlach said:

My wife and I like to split a Beef on Weck and an order of wings at Bill Bar.    They are Definitely into quality control.  The even place the wings on your plate in a symmetrical pattern.  

And I've screwed it up--It's Bar Bill and not Bill Bar, isn't it?  Sorry.  That's what they get for not ever having enough room for me!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.