Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

Want to see Sabres in Global Series again?

Do you want to see the Sabres play in the Global Series again?  

40 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you want to see the Sabres play in the Global Series again?

    • Yes
      15
    • No
      25


Recommended Posts

You don't get a vote, but if you did...

I'm an extremely solid no. Monday-Saturday-Sunday-Friday-Saturday-Thursday after a compressed start, then a compressed schedule later on... just not worth it. The odd starting times, the broadcast disruption, the underwhelming atmosphere in the arena (I was expecting songs, drums, chants and that was just from Woody).

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes with full understanding of the all logistical challenges and issues (and excuses).  

 

I want them to become the best team in the NHL, win Cups in dynasty fashion, play in these international tournaments and have the proper blend of experience, skill, and grit to overcome the schedule logistics and shine in the international spotlight. 

Just once in my life I want to them to be the undisputed best team in the world.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes because I think it's good for the foreign players to be able to play in their home countries. I think we forget sometimes how far away from home these guys are, and it's good that the NHL should try to recognize that. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all for it but it needs to lead to an 8-10 team European division of the NHL.

Each North American team would travel to Europe once a season for a 2-3 week stint to play all of the Euro teams.

Euro teams come over twice a year.

Playoff system would see three teams from NA advance and the Euro champ, to have a final four.

Stanley Cup becomes a Global hockey prize.

Just don’t ask me to figure out the logistics.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m all for it but it needs to lead to an 8-10 team European division of the NHL.

Each North American team would travel to Europe once a season for a 2-3 week stint to play all of the Euro teams.

Euro teams come over twice a year.

Playoff system would see three teams from NA advance and the Euro champ, to have a final four.

Stanley Cup becomes a Global hockey prize.

Just don’t ask me to figure out the logistics.

You'd probably have to make the season shorter to fit all the travel in, which I'm fine with. Let's go back to 60 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This global series kind of backfired on the sabres. 0 points out of a possible 4 so nothing worthwhile came of this aside for the feel good buzz leading up to it. Nice for our Swedish players I get that but the costs associated with the condensed schedule will be felt now and later in the year when these guys will hopefully be fighting for a playoff spot. It just doesn’t pay off in any tangible benefits for this team. It may even set us back. I voted no. Let our division rivals have it.

Edited by bunomatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You'd probably have to make the season shorter to fit all the travel in, which I'm fine with. Let's go back to 60 games.

Which they briefly did right after The Big One. I don't remember seeing you at the games. I'd take the train in from Joliet after working all day as a hog butcher.

Interesting Wikipedia page that gives the length of every NHL season, starting and ending dates too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d probably feel alot more open to another international game if I was confident our team would be talked about positively afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You don't get a vote, but if you did...

I'm an extremely solid no. Monday-Saturday-Sunday-Friday-Saturday-Thursday after a compressed start, then a compressed schedule later on... just not worth it. The odd starting times, the broadcast disruption, the underwhelming atmosphere in the arena (I was expecting songs, drums, chants and that was just from Woody).

I lost my voice trying to make it happen 😞

There was one collection of Buffalo Swedes with a drum and cool hats, but sadly that was it. 

I vote no, hard no.... It sucks, we sucked, and the players have a whole summer off to go home to see family, they certainly can afford it. It's the price you pay to be in the NHL. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote no. It’s has nothing to do with the compressed schedule or how the Sabres played. It has nothing to do with me making a trip to see the game. Hell, it has nothing to do with the Sabres.

The NHL sucked at promoting this. Saturday night there was NOTHING going on around the arena, it was a ghost town. There was activity Friday night but nothing to do with the NHL. There should be more going on around the arena. An entire “experience”.  The in-game production was terrible as well. You don’t play a goal song for the visiting team, period.

Bottom line, unless the NHL can be better at promoting it, it’s not worth it, for any team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree with #freejame, I changed my vote to yes, but with a caveat, only if they win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes because we should take pride in our team for being chosen to play in an event like this. Yes its a strain on our club with the logistics, but I'd rather the NHL pick our Sabres for events than ignore us all together. Then the narrative would be: "The Sabres get no respect, they're never invited to play in this or that. If Buffalo were a bigger city we'd get to play them etc"

We all remember the Winter Classic & how proud & excited we were back then. Only reason i think some people here are down on it is the result of those games.

If we won both games vs TB 6-0, I'm sure we'd be jumping at the chance to do that again. In the midst of a losing streak & losing vs 1 of the most talented teams in the league? Not so much.

So yeah absolutely I'd like to see us play in any special series or games. For the pride of the blue & gold, to be relevant & play on a higher stage. For the players to have another experience, one that brings them closer together & one in which they can learn from. Just be prepared that we can lose because you know, that can happen!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

I voted yes because we should take pride in our team for being chosen to play in an event like this. Yes its a strain on our club with the logistics, but I'd rather the NHL pick our Sabres for events than ignore us all together. Then the narrative would be: "The Sabres get no respect, they're never invited to play in this or that. If Buffalo were a bigger city we'd get to play them etc"

We all remember the Winter Classic & how proud & excited we were back then. Only reason i think some people here are down on it is the result of those games.

If we won both games vs TB 6-0, I'm sure we'd be jumping at the chance to do that again. In the midst of a losing streak & losing vs 1 of the most talented teams in the league? Not so much.

So yeah absolutely I'd like to see us play in any special series or games. For the pride of the blue & gold, to be relevant & play on a higher stage. For the players to have another experience, one that brings them closer together & one in which they can learn from. Just be prepared that we can lose because you know, that can happen!

 

That's fine and good unless you actually want to watch the game, or travel to it. 

At home it's a 2pm on a Friday, yeah that's smart NHL. And I don't think that these 2 games did anything to help the team grow together, if anything the continued losing (no matter where in the world) will lead to more frustration. 

On top of it, to see them not even stand up for themselves on a global stage, may have more of a negative impact than we think. 

 

I'm all for our team having special and spotlight games, getting recognition and etc. I just am not sure how well this Sweden series actually worked out for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes ...  the extra-ordinary comes with cost.  It also makes for a richer world.

PS ...  I, too, was looking for chanting, flag waving, and drums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if we had a foreign all-star we should do a global series game.

 

But we don't have any all-stars that aren't Swedish or CanAm.  If we acquired one somehow, we should definitely do it again.  Even if it messed up our schedules for the last few weeks.  The scheduling had nothing to do with the two losses they had with tons of rest.  Don't make it an out.

Edited by triumph_communes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Yes, if we had a foreign all-star we should do a global series game.

 

But we don't have any all-stars that aren't Swedish or CanAm.  If we acquired one somehow, we should definitely do it again.  Even if it messed up our schedules for the last few weeks.  The scheduling had nothing to do with the two losses they had with tons of rest.  Don't make it an out.

Idk if it really matters if your star players are foreign born to qualify for a game like that. But case in point it made sense for us to play in this Sweden series because we have 6 players on our active roster taking part who worn born there, including Dahlin who is a star in his own right. Not an all-star per se but 1 of the bigger young stars, who is massively followed in the host country.

The bigger question would've been why was Tampa Bay there when they had only 1 player from Sweden? And the answer is less about the nationality of their players than it was the league wanting to showcase 1 of their most talented teams in an international setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That's fine and good unless you actually want to watch the game, or travel to it. 

At home it's a 2pm on a Friday, yeah that's smart NHL. And I don't think that these 2 games did anything to help the team grow together, if anything the continued losing (no matter where in the world) will lead to more frustration. 

On top of it, to see them not even stand up for themselves on a global stage, may have more of a negative impact than we think. 

 

I'm all for our team having special and spotlight games, getting recognition and etc. I just am not sure how well this Sweden series actually worked out for that. 

The game was at 2pm because of that thing called a time difference. The game started at 10pm Sweden time. If the game were to start at say 6pm EST, it would've had to start at 2am in Sweden. As if that makes sense at all? Yeah that's smart. Theres no way around that with international games, whether its the NHL or the Olympics or whatever it may be.

For your 2nd point, you & I are not on the team & don't have any way of knowing what they do together. But i can imagine it meant a lot to our Swedes to share their culture to the rest of our players. Instead of just talking about it, they were able to go there & experience it together. That probably meant a lot to the guys, both the Swedes & everyone else & no doubt brought them closer together. I would think that'd be pretty obvious.

We lost the 2 games vs the 2018 Presidents Trophy winners & that sucks. Of course they'll be frustrated with losing. Losing will do that. We can only hope that it'll motivate them to play even just a little bit harder this next game out to make up for it.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

The game was at 2pm because of that thing called a time difference. The game started at 10pm Sweden time. If the game were to start at say 6pm EST, it would've had to start at 2am in Sweden. As if that makes sense at all? Yeah that's smart. Theres no way around that with international games, whether its the NHL or the Olympics or whatever it may be.

I think everyone understands time zones but understanding it doesn’t make it any easier for fans to watch a game that’s happening while most are at work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Idk if it really matters if your star players are foreign born to qualify for a game like that. But case in point it made sense for us to play in this Sweden series because we have 6 players on our active roster taking part who worn born there, including Dahlin who is a star in his own right. Not an all-star per se but 1 of the bigger young stars, who is massively followed in the host country.

The bigger question would've been why was Tampa Bay there when they had only 1 player from Sweden? And the answer is less about the nationality of their players than it was the league wanting to showcase 1 of their most talented teams in an international setting.

Because as anyone who was here could tell you. Hedman was the star attraction of this event. 75% Tampa Fans all cheering for Hedman.  Friday night, during the introductions, he had the loudest cheer..by far. He was the one interviewed 3 times by Swedish tV.

2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

The game was at 2pm because of that thing called a time difference. The game started at 10pm Sweden time. If the game were to start at say 6pm EST, it would've had to start at 2am in Sweden. As if that makes sense at all? Yeah that's smart. Theres no way around that with international games, whether its the NHL or the Olympics or whatever it may be.

For your 2nd point, you & I are not on the team & don't have any way of knowing what they do together. But i can imagine it meant a lot to our Swedes to share their culture to the rest of our players. Instead of just talking about it, they were able to go there & experience it together. That probably meant a lot to the guys, both the Swedes & everyone else & no doubt brought them closer together. I would think that'd be pretty obvious.

We lost the 2 games vs the 2018 Presidents Trophy winners & that sucks. Of course they'll be frustrated with losing. Losing will do that. We can only hope that it'll motivate them to play even just a little bit harder this next game out to make up for it.

It started at 8pm.  I think if you want to be a smart ass about timezones you should probably get it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Idk if it really matters if your star players are foreign born to qualify for a game like that. But case in point it made sense for us to play in this Sweden series because we have 6 players on our active roster taking part who worn born there, including Dahlin who is a star in his own right. Not an all-star per se but 1 of the bigger young stars, who is massively followed in the host country.

The bigger question would've been why was Tampa Bay there when they had only 1 player from Sweden? And the answer is less about the nationality of their players than it was the league wanting to showcase 1 of their most talented teams in an international setting.

Hedman had more fans than the 6 players from Buffalo drew.

 

Go look at the announcement for the games in Prague/Germany and they heavily emphasize the star players from each country being represented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  There were too many stops and starts in this schedule.  And 2pm on a Friday is a difficult time to watch hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...