GDT: 11/9/2019 1pm ET Buffalo Sabres at Tampa in ModoLand

Mustache of God

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The one bright side was that we looked better than last night.... The penalties (fair or not) killed us. At least until the 3rd, then the game was done 

I hear ya Wyld, but I'm not in the mood for moral victories or progress right now.  Still too pissed.  50 years and counting and I'm fearing 51 after this weekend.  I'm going to get another bourbon.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Tondas said:

I hear ya Wyld, but I'm not in the mood for moral victories or progress right now.  Still too pissed.  50 years and counting and I'm fearing 51 after this weekend.  I'm going to get another bourbon.

I'm mostly just talking myself up as well. 

Actually I wrote the Sabres yesterday after the game in Sweden, the in game stuff was so bad and the team mailed it in. I wanted to make sure they know that they have passionate fans that will travel and that they are becoming at risk to lose some Fandom. I'm not sure how much say the NHL had vs the Sabres when it comes to in game stuff and especially for the "home" game. 

It's not the best time to be a Sabres fan 

What is wrong with this entire organization in a nutshell: a year after making the single worst most destructive trade in hockey history (a trade so bad it literally killed my Whalers) Ed Johnson was fired by Rich Gordon because even though he was among the worst NHL owners of all time even he knew Ed had to go. Botts makes among the most disastrous trades of all time that crushes his team and a year later faces no consequences whatsoever for his complete and total failure. And if we have yet another disaster I would not be shocked in the least if nobody is held accountable.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Actually I wrote the Sabres yesterday after the game in Sweden, the in game stuff was so bad and the team mailed it in. I wanted to make sure they know that they have passionate fans that will travel and that they are becoming at risk to lose some Fandom. I'm not sure how much say the NHL had vs the Sabres when it comes to in game stuff and especially for the "home" game. 

Can you clarify what you mean by “in game stuff”?  

The 2 times the Sabres made it to the Finals, they had these players on the roster:

Rick Dudley
Danny Gare
Jerry Korab
Jim Schoenfeld (C)

Randy Cunneyworth
Michael Peca – C
Rob Ray
Rhett Warrener

Any team take liberties on the Sabres in those two seasons?   Who do we have now?  Would you exchange Ray for Okposo?  Schoenfeld for McCabe?  Cunneyworth for Larsson?

Is it really a different league now?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Happy birthday!!!

16 minutes ago, Tondas said:

The 2 times the Sabres made it to the Finals, they had these players on the roster:

Rick Dudley
Danny Gare
Jerry Korab
Jim Schoenfeld (C)

Randy Cunneyworth
Michael Peca – C
Rob Ray
Rhett Warrener

Any team take liberties on the Sabres in those two seasons?   Who do we have now?  Would you exchange Ray for Okposo?  Schoenfeld for McCabe?  Cunneyworth for Larsson?

Is it really a different league now?

It's different, but not that different. During free agency I suggested Maroon would be a good (relatively cheap) pick up for this very reason. Tampa realized that. Just look at the way he stood in front of our net and banged away at the puck and nobody even came close to moving him.  

In a back to back match up any other team in the league would have come out with fire and banged Kucherov for his hit on Sobotka. I don't think we even came near him once. A team like the Bruins would have banged him around the boards all night long and if they fell behind like we did would have punished him bad for next time. We are weak, listless and useless. How long before Johanson quits on us?  

I expect Risto to quit trying now at all and force a trade. We are done.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's different, but not that different. During free agency I suggested Maroon would be a good (relatively cheap) pick up for this very reason. Tampa realized that. Just look at the way he stood in front of our net and banged away at the puck and nobody even came close to moving him.  

In a back to back match up any other team in the league would have come out with fire and banged Kucherov for his hit on Sobotka. I don't think we even came near him once. A team like the Bruins would have banged him around the boards all night long and if they fell behind like we did would have punished him bad for next time. We are weak, listless and useless. How long before Johanson quits on us?  

They still have to want to come here ?

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

For starters: not acquire a player as terrible as Jimmy Vesey.

Ok, I'm not a big fan of his at all, so I'm not defending him....but this team has a lot bigger problems than him.

his first year in the league..averaged a goal about every 5 games, his second year...a goal about every 5 games. His third year... a goal every 5 games. This year with Buffalo 0 goals.

In his first 3 years in the league...he averaged 5 goals per year from the start of the season to Nov 10.  This year....0.

The Sabres have changed the coach, yet players tend to underachieve here compared to their previous/next teams. Changed fringe players too. Something is still amiss.

All that is really left is to change some of the stars/big minute players.  At this point, I'd be willing to trade Risto for almost anything.  Maybe it is, or isn't his fault...but the biggest single change you can make is moving the player off your team that gets the most minutes.

Anyone else, I wouldn't keep a closed mind to.  Eichel?  Don't want to trade him, but I'd listen to any deal that involves a top-30 player coming back for him...depending on the other parts. Sam is scoring as well as ever....but I'll listen to anything...and at this point a major shakeup may be needed.

One more thing on Eichel this year....4 even strength goals in 17 games from the guy who leads your forwards in even strength ice time? From your superstar captain, you need a LOT better production than that.

Edited by mjd1001

I was upset that I couldn't watch the game today, and now I'm glad I didn't.  It's incredible how much of a carbon copy of last year this season is turning out to be.  As big a fan as I have been of Eichel, I would be willing to start taking offers.  He just isn't the type of leader this team needs at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I’ll be the lone optimist in a sea of angry pitchforks and bridge jumping ...

although these past few games have been bad in many aspects, I truly believe the coaching staff is much better than Housley and his staff.

i truly think the overall talent level compared to last seasons and the season before that, is better.

I said back in August or early September, it will probably take most of the season to gel, have chemistry, and play well pretty consistently. A month or so into the season and I haven’t changed that outlook.

Am I aggravated a little at the losses? Sure! It’s a bunch of woulda coulda shoulda. Am I ZOMG pissed off and depressed where it ruined my night or weekend or week? Hahaha ... hell no. Water off a ducks back. Go at it again on Thursday. 

Edited by Zamboni

They played even better, yet they lost even worse

Hutton was bad.  Refs were pitiful yet again-- pretty much stole the game on their own. 

Sabres all of a sudden tried to make plays to the net.  Just didn't get bounces their way.  Vesey looked great.  Mittelstadt looked good on wing.  We need a 3C in a trade.  Dahlin mistakes cost us the game when our players can't score anything.

Skinner is also useless on that third line.  Swap him with Oloffson now please.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

What is wrong with this entire organization in a nutshell: a year after making the single worst most destructive trade in hockey history (a trade so bad it literally killed my Whalers) Ed Johnson was fired by Rich Gordon because even though he was among the worst NHL owners of all time even he knew Ed had to go. Botts makes among the most disastrous trades of all time that crushes his team and a year later faces no consequences whatsoever for his complete and total failure. And if we have yet another disaster I would not be shocked in the least if nobody is held accountable.

go back to hfboards with your whining

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They played even better, yet they lost even worse

Hutton was bad.  Refs were pitiful yet again-- pretty much stole the game on their own. 

Sabres all of a sudden tried to make plays to the net.  Just didn't get bounces their way.  Vesey looked great.  Mittelstadt looked good on wing.  We need a 3C in a trade.  Dahlin mistakes cost us the game when our players can't score anything.

Skinner is also useless on that third line.  Swap him with Oloffson now please.

go back to hfboards with your whining

Nah, I'm good thanks ? 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pretty negative but I can’t dispute it.   I don’t understand how Kucherov does not get harassed all f game 2.  At every turn.  Only Montour made any effort to mix up with him.  Montour was one of the few that played hard   

Maroon wanted to stay in St Louis and likely would not consider Buffalo, given his age and his role.   He is a desired commodity for a contender.   A big, strong, tough forward with good hands, perfect for playoff hockey.   Tampa is a great fit for him. 

If things don’t change, and the losing continues then sadly  Ristolainen has about a month before he goes spastic and drops to -20.  

Of course a trade or two - or a call up, if effective, could turn things around  my first Sabres team started getting bounced around I brought in reinforcements.  

When my first year Sabres hit tough times I made trades and coaxed some decent hockey out of old Dickie Duff and Crazy Eddie Shack.  After all, you have to kill any possible chance of a losing culture creeping in.  I had to bring in tough old Larry Hillman to help the young kids and add some toughness.  A year later I picked up a perennial all star right winger for good old Shack.  You need to know your players and make a move.   Incremental steps are needed for course correction   

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pretty negative but I can’t dispute it.   I don’t understand how Kucherov does not get harassed all f game 2.  At every turn.  Only Montour made any effort to mix up with him.  Montour was one of the few that played hard   

Maroon wanted to stay in St Louis and likely would not consider Buffalo, given his age and his role.   He is a desired commodity for a contender.   A big, strong, tough forward with good hands, perfect for playoff hockey.   Tampa is a great fit for him. 

If things don’t change, and the losing continues then sadly  Ristolainen has about a month before he goes spastic and drops to -20.  

Of course a trade or two - or a call up, if effective, could turn things around  my first Sabres team started getting bounced around I brought in reinforcements.  

When my first year Sabres hit tough times I made trades and coaxed some decent hockey out of old Dickie Duff and Crazy Eddie Shack.  After all, you have to kill any possible chance of a losing culture creeping in.  I had to bring in tough old Larry Hillman to help the young kids and add some toughness.  A year later I picked up a perennial all star right winger for good old Shack.  You need to know your players and make a move.   Incremental steps are needed for course correction   

Remember that bag skate you ordered when you looked out your hotel window in Buffalo and saw a bunch of your boys drunk on the sidewalk below?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Outside of a few years the past twenty have been down right awful.  When will we have good times again? 

Edited by Gatorman0519

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So.   Ristolainen was clearing the net, so was Tampa ‘s player. Both guys knocked someone down at the whistle.  One got called , one did not.  I couldn’t care less what Stamkos was doing.  Mitts was also trying to play the puck looking for a rebound.  He was decked after the whistle.   

If if you think the officiating has been consistent today that is great. I don’t think so. I’ve seen replays enough to form my opinion.  

Just two very different plays. You'd put one in the dictionary under Interference and one in the dictionary under Hockey.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Cernak with a flagrantly illegal play 

Why do you think the call wasn't made?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.