GDT: 11/9/2019 1pm ET Buffalo Sabres at Tampa in ModoLand

Mustache of God

Botterill has populated this roster with guys who have no grit.  Too many mental mistakes.  That last goal was about the face off, grind it out along to boards,  physical and smart defense.  Sabres failed on all accounts.  IMO Jack should lose the C to shake him up.  His defensive lapses are glaring.  This team could make the play offs but they have played badly for the month of November.  They need to make a move to get a body in here to fill in the short comings. 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Defense mechanism: Krueger isn't a magic man, and so we must take swipes at posters in a GDT which by definition is emotional and irrational posting 

Rick, it was Cernak. That's a goal if it's Stamkos shooting it

Also Rick called Johansson Eichel a couple minutes ago 

Low blow, my friend!

As for Rick, he's 77 and watching on a tube TV left over from Adelphia.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Defense mechanism: Sabres can't score, it must be the officiating.

You know, I hate blame-the-refs whining as much as you do, and I think Montour’s penalty was a selfish flare of temper.

But it’s not wrong to point out that all three Sabres penalties were things that aren’t called just as often as they are, or that none of them took away scoring chances, or put the safety of a player at risk, i.e. calls that have to be made.

They inhabited the vast grey area of arbitrary decisions refs make against all teams on a regular basis, and today they have likely had a direct impact on a Tampa victory in a game where Tampa has been outplayed.

It doesn’t indicate some kind of conspiracy, but it does happen

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I just don't understand how this team doesn't change; we change players, coaches, and managers  and yet the same problems always persist. Player always seem to regress when coming to Buffalo. We have no power forward and it shows.

Tampa is getting away with mugging and slashing to an extent only seen in the playoffs yet we get called for defending our goalie.....

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I just don't understand how this team doesn't change; we change players, coaches, and managers  and yet the same problems always persist. Player always seem to regress when coming to Buffalo. We have no power forward and it shows.

Tampa is getting away with mugging and slashing to an extent only seen in the playoffs yet we get called for defending our goalie.....

Bad roster decisions that are pretty easy to see for what they are when they happen certainly play a role

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You know, I hate blame-the-refs whining as much as you do, and I think Montour’s penalty was a selfish flare of temper.

But it’s not wrong to point out that all three Sabres penalties were things that aren’t called just as often as they are, or that none of them took away scoring chances, or put the safety of a player at risk, i.e. calls that have to be made.

They inhabited the vast grey area of arbitrary decisions refs make against all teams on a regular basis, and today they have likely had a direct impact on a Tampa victory in a game where Tampa has been outplayed.

I'm pretty sure you just described every hockey game ever. And your analysis surely ignores the dozens of other penalties that could have been called but were let go. Much ado about nothing. We're all mad that the Sabres franchise still can't score goals.

P.S. If I had to guess, Montour's penalty is called 60% of the time, Risto's 40% of the time and Johansson's is a near slam dunk.

Edited by PASabreFan

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with everything you said except the part about Tampa being outplayed.  

Maybe the ES  Corsi chart will prove me wrong but I don’t think we are outplaying them or had any better chances.  

My “eye test” sees the body language and the mistakes of a team that  expects to lose against a much better team that is playing just good enough to beat us.  Tampa has two more gears, not sure we have even one.  

We are facing 5 losses in a row, playoff teams just don’t lose 5 in a row, let’s see if we have any response at all. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Botterill has populated this roster with guys who have no grit.  Too many mental mistakes.  That last goal was about the face off, grind it out along to boards,  physical and smart defense.  Sabres failed on all accounts.  IMO Jack should lose the C to shake him up.  His defensive lapses are glaring.  This team could make the play offs but they have played badly for the month of November.  They need to make a move to get a body in here to fill in the short comings. 

Seriously? Botterill has at least 7 slugs playing forward (8 if you count Olofsson's 5x5 play), but blame Eichel.

Botterill has built a mess here, and Eichel has been one of the few players who has been able to cut through JBott's reign of mediocrity.

But let's lose Jack too, while Botterill keeps icing guys like Sobotka, Sheary, and Vesey on the 2nd line.

Jack is the captain, but the captain doesn't coach the team (a soccer guy does that) and he doesn't build the roster.  

There's more than a dozen things wrong with this team.  Eichel's not one of them.

What gnaws at me is if this is the Jack we get on a world stage with the season starting to circle like it did last year, what do we get in the playoffs (playoffs?!)? It's Year Five. Maybe this is who Jack is. #jackjuju

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Anyone on this team have some talent they want to show off? 

You were saying?

Vesey is amazing at getting 2 on 1s and is horrific at doing anything on them.

The first one he shot when the goalie only had to twitch his blocker to make a save, while a GLORIOUS seam was available for Johansson to have half an open net.

The second one he passed into a player that was already sprawled on the ice in the passing lane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.