GDT: 11/8/2019 2pm ET Tampa at Buffalo Sabres in ModoLand, NBCSN and WGR550

jsb

I’m still waiting for our small talented guys to punish Tampa for that hit on Sob by scoring a goal or two. Or not. I suppose if you could rely on the officials to make the call and our powerplay to actually punish the other team then all would be good in whoville. But in a league where those outcomes are far from guaranteed perhaps it would be nice to have a couple gritty types sprinkled throughout the lineup that could put the fear of god in dinks like Kucharovovich who take liberties. I’m not talking thugs I’m thinking along the lines of hockey players with heart that can throw down if necessary. 

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Never gonna see that type of hockey again.  Not even in the AHL.  

This is true, the Barnaby-May-Ray days are over. The Rays and Barnabys are over, but we could still use a May. He could play and score as well as dishing out the rough stuff. St. Louis was more physical than the Bruins and won a cup for it. Without that physicality, they'd never have been in the final. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

I’m still waiting for our small talented guys to punish Tampa for that hit on Sob by scoring a goal or two. Or not. I suppose if you could rely on the officials to make the call and our powerplay to actually punish the other team then all would be good in whoville. But in a league where those outcomes are far from guaranteed perhaps it would be nice to have a couple gritty types sprinkled throughout the lineup that could put the fear of god in dinks like Kucharovovich who take liberties. I’m not talking thugs I’m thinking along the lines of hockey players with heart that can throw down if necessary. 

Who is small on the Sabres besides Sheary and Skinner?

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Who is small on the Sabres besides Sheary and Skinner?

We play small. There’s a difference. This team turns the other cheek. I’ve watched that hit countless times and even the officials disrespect this teams players. I heard last season when I mentioned that we need grit that our skilled guys will make teams pay by scoring goals while guys that take liberties are sitting in the sin bin. Well guess what. It rarely works that way. Someone needs to step up and we basically look the other way. Its embarassing. We don’t need thugs we need more guys that are skilled but have that fire. You see it on other teams. Why not here ? 

• Like (+1) 3

When we fall behind we lose focus.  In a number of games, including this one, we forecheck hard early on and put pressure on the other team.  The early shots on goal numbers exemplify this.  If we fall behind, the forecheck disappears and we basically start running around (losing focus) and allow the opposing team to begin and continue to dominate.  That's probably a coaching thing more than anything else.  Aside from that, we're a very soft team.  Gritty teams make it difficult for the other team to dominate.  For example, teams think twice before they toy with the Caps.  A primary reason is Tom Wilson.  He'll make them pay big time.  It's quite possible we're too dependent on Scandinavian players in this regard.  They're generally finesse players.  I guess what I'm saying is this team lacks consistency, toughness, and balance. 

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

Last year's win steak is seared into my brain, the team is doing the same exact thing this year. 

At this rate the tickets will be, 8$ each soon, and I'll get some cheap date nights out of it, to recoup some of what I spent here in Scandanavia (F'n expensive place) 

This team needs to show me more than it has. 

Eichel is trying to do it all himself (again) 

Risto taking stupid penalties (again) 

Olofasson has no business on the top line (he has next to zero compete/battle) 

37, looks to be mediocre 

And our fast skating D, doesn't actually play D all that well 

Lastly, Dahlin is looking pretty bad, idk what's happening here, but it's becoming a cause for concern.

I hope we can turn this thing around before it's too late, but If November continues like this then we are doomed for the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Never gonna see that type of hockey again.  Not even in the AHL.  

We can hope we do!  What a freaking boring hockey game today.  

29 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

No way in hell they win tomorrow. Enjoy the top 8 for one more day because they won't see it again until 2020 earliest. 

This group has not changed one bit....

This has been my fear since the early wins started.  

I think it is possible we win tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.  

33 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

When we fall behind we lose focus.  In a number of games, including this one, we forecheck hard early on and put pressure on the other team.  The early shots on goal numbers exemplify this.  If we fall behind, the forecheck disappears and we basically start running around (losing focus) and allow the opposing team to begin and continue to dominate.  That's probably a coaching thing more than anything else.  Aside from that, we're a very soft team.  Gritty teams make it difficult for the other team to dominate.  For example, teams think twice before they toy with the Caps.  A primary reason is Tom Wilson.  He'll make them pay big time.  It's quite possible we're too dependent on Scandinavian players in this regard.  They're generally finesse players.  I guess what I'm saying is this team lacks consistency, toughness, and balance. 

Man, you aren't kidding.  The only player on the team that does anything physically is Risto.

We are soft.  It was never more apparent than during the last 1:30 or so after we pulled the goalie.  We never really got a decent shot attempt and when the puck ended up against the wall on several occasions, Tampa just physically controlled play and the puck.

This team would be in serious trouble in the playoffs when boring, crap regular season hockey ends and real, amped-up hockey begins.  Too many kids on the team too who are giving something up physically simply due to age.

Botterill is not going to seek to add "toughness" because it's not a part of the game as he envisions it.  

Let's see how things go in the next stretch of games.

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Can you imagine the Boston Bruins, at any point in the last 30 years, responding as this team did tonight?

Not only would they kill us playing hockey in a 7 game series, they jump on guys like pack wolves when crap like that happens, and always have.

WE have such a long way to go around here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Man, you aren't kidding.  The only player on the team that does anything physically is Risto.

We are soft.  It was never more apparent than during the last 1:30 or so after we pulled the goalie.  We never really got a decent shot attempt and when the puck ended up against the wall on several occasions, Tampa just physically controlled play and the puck.

This team would be in serious trouble in the playoffs when boring, crap regular season hockey ends and real, amped-up hockey begins.  Too many kids on the team too who are giving something up physically simply due to age.

Botterill is not going to seek to add "toughness" because it's not a part of the game as he envisions it.  

Can you imagine the Boston Bruins, at any point in the last 30 years, responding as this team did tonight?

Not only would they kill us playing hockey in a 7 game series, they jump on guys like pack wolves when crap like that happens, and always have.

Amen

57 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

We are soft.[ ]

You are right about the Bruins, and they aren't even that tough any more. Washington and St. Louis are both more physical than Boston by far. Tampa realized they have a physicality problem and have tried to address it now. 

I think Krueger and JBot might not see eye to eye on this. Krueger uses what he has, but you can see he favours defensive responsibility and has tried to balance physicality on each line. I'm sure he'd rather have a tough scorer in Sobotka's spot. For me it's about balance. You need skill guys, and you need them on a good PP, but you also need toughness to go with that skill. Without it, you go nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest thing I see is that they no longer have confidence.  They are letting other teams dictate play.  There were numerous times last night where a puck could have been contested but they backed away.

they are also thinking too much...their plays are slow to develop and teams are on them before they can make them.

finally, they are out of position, a lot. There were numerous times last night where all 5 players were on one half off the ice and Tampa just threw the puck to the open wing and away they went. It results in the Sabres skating more than they should and throughout the game their legs are going to wear down quicker.

Lots to fix and at the same time I don’t see any reason it won’t get fixed..thought it might take a trade to shake things up a bit.

one last thing.. they need to stop deferring to Eichel on the ice.  Other teams know they only have to defend him because he’s going to be the one getting the puck to bring up ice. Oh, and stop dumping it in if you aren’t going to have a player who can get to the puck...

yeah..lots to fix.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bunomatic said:

This is where us old timers wax poetic about the Danny Gares and Mike Folignos of days past.  Dying (dead?) breed.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

26-62

10-33

24/58-55

I would sit McCabe 

Appreciate the response, not saying I would do the same. Honest question, the Sabres have an analytics group, undoubtedly the coaching staff has access to the numbers, why do they choose to deploy the personnel almost diametrically opposed to how you would?

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The Boston Bruins have been playing that way since I can remember.  They had a guy named Eddie Shore back in the 30’s that was a nasty SOB.   

I drafted Jim Schoenfeld, as a rookie, he fought Wayne Cashman, Bobby Orr, and Carol Vadnais all in one game ... that helped put us on their level and was part of our transformation to a contending playoff team.  Today’s game is different but there are players that have the presence to keep things in check when the refs don’t. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Boston Bruins have been playing that way since I can remember.  They had a guy named Eddie Shore back in the 30’s that was a nasty SOB.   

I drafted Jim Schoenfeld, as a rookie, he fought Wayne Cashman, Bobby Orr, and Carol Vadnais all in one game ... that helped put us on their level and was part of our transformation to a contending playoff team.  Today’s game is different but there are players that have the presence to keep things in check the refs don’t. 

EddieShore30 was my telegram name.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, where is that @jsb character?

Dude retires and kind of is asleep at the GDT OP switch.  Does he not realize that there is another game against those quickly becoming dastardly Lightning in a few hours?

Paging @jsb ...

(insert a thingie here)

We occasionally sleep late too, actually we're redoing master bath so I've been busy

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

We play small. There’s a difference. This team turns the other cheek. I’ve watched that hit countless times and even the officials disrespect this teams players. I heard last season when I mentioned that we need grit that our skilled guys will make teams pay by scoring goals while guys that take liberties are sitting in the sin bin. Well guess what. It rarely works that way. Someone needs to step up and we basically look the other way. Its embarassing. We don’t need thugs we need more guys that are skilled but have that fire. You see it on other teams. Why not here ? 

I agree.  We just don't have a lot of small players which has been a misnomer for about a decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, inkman said:

I agree.  We just don't have a lot of small players which has been a misnomer for about a decade. 

Our smallest player is who Skinner?   He has more sandpaper in his game than the rest of them.  

Larry can get angry, Kyle and Zemgus can follow suit but they have all been pretty silent during this losing streak. 

We are not the only team in this boat, our talent is s-l-o-w-l-y improving but it looks like right now we are building a one round playoff team.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Our smallest player is who Skinner?   He has more sandpaper in his game than the rest of them.  

Larry can get angry, Kyle and Zemgus can follow suit but they have all been pretty silent during this losing streak. 

We are not the only team in this boat, our talent is s-l-o-w-l-y improving but it looks like right now we are building a one round playoff team.  

The smallest guy is Sheary but yes Skinner has some sandpaper in his game but not nearly enough.

14 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I believe it's because we're a team led by kids and what you are calling for are what men do.  Look at the faces of our guys - they aren't gritty.  We need a couple scarred up, bearded, long haired guys that are just a little nutso.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.