Live or DVR

Broken Ankles

On 11/3/2019 at 2:50 PM, Broken Ankles said:

Just curious.  Where do you stand on watching the Sabres?   I’ve seen comments under the Game day thread alluding to being late for a game and catching only the last period.  Why not record and watch the game in it’s entirety?   As a left coaster for about half my life I rely on recording eastern time zone games and watching after work.   I know not everyone has traditional cable, and streaming has limitations but if you do have a DVR option, do you use it? 

Yes, I DVR everything.  Once in a while it backfires as I look at something on my iPad or iPhone and catch a score by accident of a game I recorded but that’s my fault.  I can’t stand commercials.  I can also fast forward thru down times in a game, like replay review and showing replays from a dozen different angles.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hawerchuk said:

I'm on the West Coast as well. I start the game on time (4pm Pacific) and stream it thru REDDIT NHL STREAMS. Watch the first period on my computer, listen to the second period on that horrible Radio.com (formerly WGR app) during the car ride home. Get home and log in on my desktop computer for the third period (Reddit as well). Works out pretty well for me, plus its free using Reddit streams! 

So, did the big quake happen and Vegas is now the West Coast?  IMHO, to officially qualify as on either coast, one has to be able to see the ocean form their living room.

?  (I'm on Windows 7 right now, so that is the winkie thingie, I think.  At least, it should be).

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, did the big quake happen and Vegas is now the West Coast?  IMHO, to officially qualify as on either coast, one has to be able to see the ocean form their living room.

?  (I'm on Windows 7 right now, so that is the winkie thingie, I think.  At least, it should be).

South or West of the 405 (aka OJ ?) Freeway is how I determine if your coastal.  Vegas misses by a few miles.  

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm too busy to watch full games sometimes due to my kids, especially while out of town at their tournaments so I'll often tune in late or catch only parts of the game.    I would love to watch every game in it's entirety, but I just don't have the time.     

My kids have practice or off-ice every single day, often 4 or 5 games between the two of them every Fri-Sun including the high school games.... and traveling at least 1 weekend a month with my kid playing AAA.     We're out the door everyday between 4 and 6 PT... so most of the time I'm lying in bed after we get home trying to watch but can't keep my eyes open sometimes.  

I still haven't paid for NHL.tv yet after I wasted my money last year but when I do have access to see all the games, I definitely wait 30-45 minutes so I can fast forward through pregame, anthems, commercials, and intermissions. I usually catch up to live somewhere towards the end of the 3rd period and I much prefer that to sitting through all the non game parts of the program. I just disable all notifications from the NHL app before the game starts and then watch something else saved on the DVR until enough time has passed.  

I watch on DVR probably 90% of the time -- work and family obligations generally prevent me from being on my couch at 7:00 pm.  I definitely enjoy skipping the commercials and intermissions, and if the Sabres fall behind by 3, I'll fast forward to see if they get back in the game.  I probably "catch up" to live time by the end of the game for about 1/3 of the games.

(I will say that both football and basketball are better uses than hockey for the DVR due to the higher number of play stoppages that can be fast-forwarded through.)

Having said that, when I have the chance to watch a game live, I enjoy doing so and hanging out here for real-time game commentary.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

You're hilarious. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone. How's that? Satisfied?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.