Pilut called up, Scandella on IR

Brawndo

14 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Do all teams bring a third goalie on the trip?  Is there an exemption for it?

There has to be.  There's too much potential by disaster if they don't let them bring someone.  I could see there even being some crazy local law that would stop them from grabbing a random local emergency goalie, depending on which country they're playing in.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

An exemption is not needed for Hammond as he has not been added to the the Sabres Active Roster. 

I am surprised they did not do the same thing with a forward

They have 23 active on the roster with Rodrigues, Gilmour, and Pilut (presumably) the 3 inactives.  There isn't exactly room for another forward and the CBA doesn't let teams stash "emergency skaters" on the roster.

Will be interesting to see if Pilut supplants anybody for 1 or both of the 2 games.  Barring injury, my guess is he doesn't.   (Maybe they "work Montour in slowly" and sit him 1.  But can't see them sitting Dahlin (and wouldn't myself) and none of the other 4 have come close to working their way to a benching; so IMHO seeing Larry this weekend is a long shot.  (And before Doohickie or someone else chimes in with "of course Larsson will play" you know darn well that the Larry in question is the small D-man.)

This team has 1 point out of their last 6.  Unless Krueger thinks a D change doesn't hurt their chances of getting out of this slump; Larry doesn't see the ice but does get to skate in the warm-ups like Gilmour does.   (Which is actually something cool about Gilmour.  He knows he won't play, but still goes through the pregame warm-ups just in case.  Can't recall anyone else doing that.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They have 23 active on the roster with Rodrigues, Gilmour, and Pilut (presumably) the 3 inactives.  There isn't exactly room for another forward and the CBA doesn't let teams stash "emergency skaters" on the roster.

Will be interesting to see if Pilut supplants anybody for 1 or both of the 2 games.  Barring injury, my guess is he doesn't.   (Maybe they "work Montour in slowly" and sit him 1.  But can't see them sitting Dahlin (and wouldn't myself) and none of the other 4 have come close to working their way to a benching; so IMHO seeing Larry this weekend is a long shot.  (And before Doohickie or someone else chimes in with "of course Larsson will play" you know darn well that the Larry in question is the small D-man.)

This team has 1 point out of their last 6.  Unless Krueger thinks a D change doesn't hurt their chances of getting out of this slump; Larry doesn't see the ice but does get to skate in the warm-ups like Gilmour does.   (Which is actually something cool about Gilmour.  He knows he won't play, but still goes through the pregame warm-ups just in case.  Can't recall anyone else doing that.)

Brawndo was talking about Hammond who is going to Sweden, but hasn’t been called up to the Sabres, and how it’s surprising that they maybe didn’t do the same with an extra forward.  They could have had someone like Wilson travel to Sweden, but not call them up to the Sabres unless needed, like they are doing with Hammond.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Brawndo was talking about Hammond who is going to Sweden, but hasn’t been called up to the Sabres, and how it’s surprising that they maybe didn’t do the same with an extra forward.  They could have had someone like Wilson travel to Sweden, but not call them up to the Sabres unless needed, like they are doing with Hammond.

Or.. Asplund.. a Swede. ?

Honestly, I think they'll play him one game.  This is one of those things that goes outside the numbers and falls squarely into the psychology of the game. You start your Swedish players, in Sweden, and the team bonds better, they have more faith in leadership, etc. Maybe it translates into better odds of winning down the road, maybe not.  

I'm not saying it will happen, but I can certainly see it happening.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Brawndo was talking about Hammond who is going to Sweden, but hasn’t been called up to the Sabres, and how it’s surprising that they maybe didn’t do the same with an extra forward.  They could have had someone like Wilson travel to Sweden, but not call them up to the Sabres unless needed, like they are doing with Hammond.

To the bolded - no Schlitz, Sherlock; what you bolded directly addressed that.

The CBA won't let them stash an extra skater that is on the farm team up with the parent team.  They can only have an emergency skater along in very limited circumstances.  Should 2 forwards get bad lutefiske (sp?) then Pilut or somebody else takes a shift up there.  Just like if they got bad sushi in Anaheim before the game.

Edited by Taro T

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The CBA won't let them stash an extra skater that is on the farm team up with the parent team.  They can only have an emergency skater along in very limited circumstances.  Should 2 forwards get bad lutefiske (sp?) then Pilut or somebody else takes a shift up there.  Just like if they got bad sushi in Anaheim before the game.

I'd suspect that these european trips are one case where they allow for those non-roster emergency bodies.  I'm too lazy to go digging that up, but it makes sense given the circumstances.  But then again, even with that emergency body, if you're already at 23, you can't really IR those 2 forwards who have "the flu" and make room to add the emergency guy to the roster.

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd suspect that these european trips are one case where they allow for those non-roster emergency bodies.  I'm too lazy to go digging that up, but it makes sense given the circumstances.  But then again, even with that emergency body, if you're already at 23, you can't really IR those 2 forwards who have "the flu" and make room to add the emergency guy to the roster.

Can't find anything in the CBA regarding Emergency recalls for international games.  But, it makes sense to allow teams Emergency goalies as teams don't have an extra goalie to dress in regular circumstances.  (There are even league rules allowing teams greater flexibility with Emergency goalies rather than Emergency skaters.  (Adam Vink wouldn't have sat on the bench if Ristolainen and another D-man got food poisoning at the prefame meal.))

But teams DO regularly carry spare skaters (up to 3) that don't dress on any given game night.  Am having a hard time seeing how simply being in Europe for all of 2 games makes that much of a difference than being out West for 3 or 4 games.  Especially when it's a 45 minute flight from Ra-cha-cha to JFK and then just an extra hour or 2 from there to Sweden relative to LA or Vancouver.

They might allow it; but considering Asplund wasn't called up; doubt it.

And out of curiosity, just what sort of an emergency shortage of skaters situation are you trying to accommodate anyway?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

They don’t need to call him up or do anything that violates the CBA in order to have a player get on a plane and fly to Sweden.  That’s my point.  

Thanks for the polite reply.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Can't find anything in the CBA regarding Emergency recalls for international games.  But, it makes sense to allow teams Emergency goalies as teams don't have an extra goalie to dress in regular circumstances.  (There are even league rules allowing teams greater flexibility with Emergency goalies rather than Emergency skaters.  (Adam Vink wouldn't have sat on the bench if Ristolainen and another D-man got food poisoning at the prefame meal.))

But teams DO regularly carry spare skaters (up to 3) that don't dress on any given game night.  Am having a hard time seeing how simply being in Europe for all of 2 games makes that much of a difference than being out West for 3 or 4 games.  Especially when it's a 45 minute flight from Ra-cha-cha to JFK and then just an extra hour or 2 from there to Sweden relative to LA or Vancouver.

They might allow it; but considering Asplund wasn't called up; doubt it.

And out of curiosity, just what sort of an emergency shortage of skaters situation are you trying to accommodate anyway?

I have no idea how the distance works out, but flying to Sweden would be a different animal because you're losing time as you go that way.  You're heading towards a 2PM eastern staring time as opposed to a 10PM starting time on the west coast.

I'm mostly thinking here about what what classify as a catastrophic situation.  Yeah, you're not going to have 5 guys fall to injury in one game, but I would expect the league to provide a little leeway for these international series to account for it.  These are marquee events for the league, so I'd fully expect the league and the PA to work together to make sure the product is maximized.  It doesn't even need to be explicitly stated in the CBA, just that the league/PA could agree in case of extraordinary circumstances.  I thought there were some restrictions on non-rostered players traveling with the team, but it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I have no idea how the distance works out, but flying to Sweden would be a different animal because you're losing time as you go that way.  You're heading towards a 2PM eastern staring time as opposed to a 10PM starting time on the west coast.

I'm mostly thinking here about what what classify as a catastrophic situation.  Yeah, you're not going to have 5 guys fall to injury in one game, but I would expect the league to provide a little leeway for these international series to account for it.  These are marquee events for the league, so I'd fully expect the league and the PA to work together to make sure the product is maximized.  It doesn't even need to be explicitly stated in the CBA, just that the league/PA could agree in case of extraordinary circumstances.  I thought there were some restrictions on non-rostered players traveling with the team, but it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics.

So, if 3 spare players aren't enough, how many are?  Should they have 4?  A complete F & D unit?  Maybe 2 of them?  Should the Amerks and Crunch both shut down over the weekend just in case?

Sending a spare goalie completely makes sense.  Sending an entire bus worth of backups because 22 hours MAY not be enough time to get a 15th forward into the lineup on a team that hasn't had more than 1 F that was on the Oct 3 roster out for any given game seems excessive.  ?

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, if 3 spare players aren't enough, how many are?  Should they have 4?  A complete F & D unit?  Maybe 2 of them?  Should the Amerks and Crunch both shut down over the weekend just in case?

Sending a spare goalie completely makes sense.  Sending an entire bus worth of backups because 22 hours MAY not be enough time to get a 15th forward into the lineup on a team that hasn't had more than 1 F that was on the Oct 3 roster out for any given game seems excessive.  ?

I've never been looking at this from a Sabre-only prospective.  Me personally, I have no issue if a team wants to fly over a spare skater when they're already at 23, particularly if one or two of those 23 are banged up a bit, but not necessarily IR-worthy banged up.  If the league does have restrictions on that kind of travel (if if if if if), I'd hope they have the ability to be a bit more lenient for these international series.

See, I'm not trying to suggest something completely unreasonable, like a busload of reserves.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Maybe they could have the AHL teams play in Sweden Too.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.