GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Sat. 11/2/19, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

Ralph said they had bought in. Apparently not or maybe they have and the system they’ve bought into is flawed. Or maybe they are flawed ? Anyways it’ll take a winning streak a lot more substantial than any I’ve seen for me to buy in again. I will enjoy the wins if they come but we all know this team as its presently constructed will go through some losses. They are what they are.

at least I saw some effort tonight. 

Really, it was 2 dead equal hockey teams, neither one of them good enough to be a serious contender, they won on a fluke luck play otherwise it's a tie into OT. 

Some players are showing their weaknesses already and as such it's obvious this team, although better than last year, is still thin on talent and simply not good enough. 

Hope in Tage? lol, ya, I mean he was so good last year...............maybe we should resign Pommer too, lol. 

Tage is not a savior, I think we all get that.  What he is is a young player with tremendous size and some offensive skill.  He could possibly be a top 6 but more like a top 9.  If he can just improve the Mitts line that would be helpful.  Hoping that time in AHL helps him get his game in order, get meaner, and get hungry.  

Cozens will likely make this team next year too so we may finally get a forward with both size and skill with his presence.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LTS said:

Much ado about nothing.  Surely didn't read the whole thread, but that game was awful, top to bottom.  One seriously fluke goal.  Both teams had chances.

The Sabres are much improved over last year, but they aren't where they need to be. I've no illusions.  The only thing that is messing with the plan is that Tampa and Toronto have been absolute disasters this year.  This leads people to believe the Sabres are something more than they are...

I thought Toronto would be better.. I would have never imagined the situation happening in Tampa. 

I dunno... I'm fine with tonight. I wanted them to win, but that was one of those absolute shite games that happen in a season. Last night was far worse. The Isles are on a tear of 9 straight now, so they've been rolling. Oh well, move on.  Crush Tampa in Sweden and people will feel better... maybe.

A shot at the fans, cool. Of course people will feel better if they beat the Bolts twice, except for the analytics crowd if the Sabres haven't won #GrouchoCloseDZone. Just when can fans be frustrated that they aren't where they need to be, here on the verge of 2020, without being criticized?

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

He's certainly not where it goes to survive.

I was referencing an Eichel rush late in the game where he seemed to have an alleyway to burst through at the Isles line yet passed to his right, to Olofosson I think. Olofsson's pass toward the slot to Reinhart, Reinhart would have needed a roofing ladder to accept. Now, it was one on three, though the Isles were spaced out a little. I thought it was worth a shot in a game where the Sabres were looking for a hero. But, sure, let's continue to act disappointed that Sobotka isn't the offensive juggernaut of this team.

Edited by PASabreFan

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A shot at the fans, cool. Of course people will feel better if they beat the Bolts twice, except for the analytics crowd if the Sabres haven't won #GrouchoCloseDZone. Just when can fans be frustrated that they aren't where they need to be, here on the verge of 2020, without being criticized?

As with most things in the world, you are free to feel any way you would like. This does not spare your viewpoint from being analyzed by those who feel differently. As you have just criticized my stance that people should adjust their viewpoint and realize the team for what it is.  It's fair.

My goal is not to take a shot at the fans but rather to provide a viewpoint wherein setting appropriate expectations based on the composition of the team relative to the rest of the league provides a way to reduce the stress people feel over the team. 

Was at the game...mainly because I grew up with the Sabres in the 70's and wanted to see them honored.   What a train wreck of a presentation. 

- The twenty or so players that were there from the 70's were rushed out on the ice.

- The camera that showed the players on the scoreboard either couldn't keep up or didn't know who was who.

-  At a few points, they were showing the crowd while the players were being introduced.

-  Several of the players almost tripped or slipped on the carpet because it wasn't layed down right.

- Between the 1st and 2nd periods they interviewed Schony.  Between the 2nd and 3rd, Rip.  I believe that was it, but I did step out for part of the 2nd intermission.  That being said, I did get a healthy dose of the same boring arena crap that goes on during commercials and intermissions.

- To the former players who were there, thank you.  After they were introduced haphazardly, they played "you know we're goin' to win that cup...", and all of a sudden the air got a little dusty around me, and I was tearing up.  Truly, the golden era of Sabres hockey.

- I'm not sure why I am surprised at any of this as the pre-game/in-game arena presentations has been garbage for many years now.  I could have put together a better program with about 5 minutes of thought.

...and oh by the way, the game confirmed that my decision to give up STH after almost 20 years, was a correct one.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was at the game...mainly because I grew up with the Sabres in the 70's and wanted to see them honored.   What a train wreck of a presentation. 

- The twenty or so players that were there from the 70's were rushed out on the ice.

- The camera that showed the players on the scoreboard either couldn't keep up or didn't know who was who.

-  At a few points, they were showing the crowd while the players were being introduced.

-  Several of the players almost tripped or slipped on the carpet because it wasn't layed down right.

- Between the 1st and 2nd periods they interviewed Schony.  Between the 2nd and 3rd, Rip.  I believe that was it, but I did step out for part of the 2nd intermission.  That being said, I did get a healthy dose of the same boring arena crap that goes on during commercials and intermissions.

- To the former players who were there, thank you.  After they were introduced haphazardly, they played "you know we're goin' to win that cup...", and all of a sudden the air got a little dusty around me, and I was tearing up.  Truly, the golden era of Sabres hockey.

- I'm not sure why I am surprised at any of this as the pre-game/in-game arena presentations has been garbage for many years now.  I could have put together a better program with about 5 minutes of thought.

...and oh by the way, the game confirmed that my decision to give up STH after almost 20 years, was a correct one.

The carpet thing is maddening. A veteran fell last year. So did the man who brought his therapy dog out. I suspect the problem is laying the carpets at 90 degree angles. People don't walk and turn like robots. Just a theory. I wonder why they didn't have the alumni come out the way the former captains did. People get a longer look and it spaces things out. And there are no turns to make.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

As with most things in the world, you are free to feel any way you would like. This does not spare your viewpoint from being analyzed by those who feel differently. As you have just criticized my stance that people should adjust their viewpoint and realize the team for what it is.  It's fair.

My goal is not to take a shot at the fans but rather to provide a viewpoint wherein setting appropriate expectations based on the composition of the team relative to the rest of the league provides a way to reduce the stress people feel over the team. 

I'm back to "you are your record." The Sabres are thus a very good hockey team. Expectations should be high. Fans should be stressed out over a few recent losses. Because that's not who they are or should be with the talent we have and improved coaching. Lowering your expectations over Corsi or PDO or whatever and "reducing stress" is leftover tank psycho mumbo jumbo. I never want to be unstressed during a game. The St. Louis Blues were in last place in the league in January.

One more big FU to Cliff, Joe, Ted, Ken and Terry for what they did to this franchise and fanbase. We're almost all the way back, yet after a little dip, some fans still want to expect to lose for some future gain, I guess, or delay joy until some distant point in the future where "it's all going to pay off." Nuts to that.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Tage is not a savior, I think we all get that.  What he is is a young player with tremendous size and some offensive skill.  He could possibly be a top 6 but more like a top 9.  If he can just improve the Mitts line that would be helpful.  Hoping that time in AHL helps him get his game in order, get meaner, and get hungry.  

Cozens will likely make this team next year too so we may finally get a forward with both size and skill with his presence.  

Nice post! Rational thoughts

• SDS unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

No, insanity is to keep repeating playing guys like Sobotka, and expecting a better result.

Just to get this off my chest.  The definition of insanity is not repeating something and expecting different results.  It's a lot of things but insanity isn't one of them. As someone who has to deal with mental health isuses daily, trust me, everyone in my shoes wishes it was just someone doing the same thing expecting different results. 

Instead, we have to deal with depression, bipolar disorder, self harm, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm back to "you are your record." The Sabres are thus a very good hockey team. Expectations should be high. Fans should be stressed out over a few recent losses. Because that's not who they are or should be with the talent we have and improved coaching. Lowering your expectations over Corsi or PDO or whatever and "reducing stress" is leftover tank psycho mumbo jumbo. I never want to be unstressed during a game. The St. Louis Blues were in last place in the league in January.

One more big FU to Cliff, Joe, Ted, Ken and Terry for what they did to this franchise and fanbase. We're almost all the way back, yet after a little dip, some fans still want to expect to lose for some future gain, I guess, or delay joy until some distant point in the future where "it's all going to pay off." Nuts to that.

You are your record. I would say that if you are bound to be a top 20 team and you've only played bottom 5 teams your record might not accurately reflect the end outcome.

I don't go in for all the metrics. I can appreciate them, but I still maintain the eye test.  This team has played better than last year. At the same time, this team needs to beat teams in its division who were seemingly going to be better than them.  The league is shaking out and yes the Blues are the best example of ANYTHING can happen. This team is shaking off the last year of crap that was piled on it.  I'm looking for a solid finish that sets up nicely for the next 5-7 years.  Bad decisions are not easily overcome all the time.

As for the stress?  I dunno. I've lived through stressful moments and I'm just not keen on letting a hockey team bring me back there. I would imagine it's different for everyone and so be it. 

But, stress is bad for you.  That 's all.

54 minutes ago, LTS said:

You are your record. I would say that if you are bound to be a top 20 team and you've only played bottom 5 teams your record might not accurately reflect the end outcome.

I don't go in for all the metrics. I can appreciate them, but I still maintain the eye test.  This team has played better than last year. At the same time, this team needs to beat teams in its division who were seemingly going to be better than them.  The league is shaking out and yes the Blues are the best example of ANYTHING can happen. This team is shaking off the last year of crap that was piled on it.  I'm looking for a solid finish that sets up nicely for the next 5-7 years.  Bad decisions are not easily overcome all the time.

As for the stress?  I dunno. I've lived through stressful moments and I'm just not keen on letting a hockey team bring me back there. I would imagine it's different for everyone and so be it. 

But, stress is bad for you.  That 's all.

I think it's awfully early in the season to be looking at bottom five teams. Not to mention that the losses the Sabres have handed to those teams have contributed to making them bottom tier teams. It's almost like this way of thinking punishes the Sabres for having beaten those teams.

As for stress, there's the "stress" of watching a Sabres game and the stress of real life. They are so far apart, or should be. But as you say, everyone's mileage may vary.

Just got home.  I was at the game, and then I had to move around a bit.  Somehow I'm traveling a lot lately.

The Sabres played well, but lost.  One thing I found to be interesting:  The Isles didn't use a box against the power play.  They lined up three in the center and used the other as some sort of rover?  It deserves consideration.

18 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

When Trump said we’d get tired of winning I didn’t think he meant this. 

Per @nfreeman. who is a mod and who dictates that we not talk politics since the day the Celebrisent was elected, please do not post anything about him here.  Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Just got home.  I was at the game, and then I had to move around a bit.  Somehow I'm traveling a lot lately.

The Sabres played well, but lost.  One thing I found to be interesting:  The Isles didn't use a box against the power play.  They lined up three in the center and used the other as some sort of rover?  It deserves consideration.

Per @nfreeman. who is a mod and who dictates that we not talk politics since the day the Celebrisent was elected, please do not post anything about him here.  Thank you.

Not talking politics. It was a joke. But I’m confident @nfreeman can speak for himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I think it's awfully early in the season to be looking at bottom five teams. Not to mention that the losses the Sabres have handed to those teams have contributed to making them bottom tier teams. It's almost like this way of thinking punishes the Sabres for having beaten those teams.

As for stress, there's the "stress" of watching a Sabres game and the stress of real life. They are so far apart, or should be. But as you say, everyone's mileage may vary.

The comment about bottom 5 really is meant in an overall tone.  Truth is, any team can be struggling at any time, and when you play them, you should beat them unless you are in the same boat.  It's similar to getting worked up that the Sabres just lost to a team that has won 9 games in a row.  The Islanders may very well not end the season at the top of the league, but right now, they are the hottest team in the league.  It's clicking and losing to them 1-0 on a fluke goal isn't something to get all worked up over.  Which is how we started this discussion isn't it? Now, the Capitals loss, sure.  That was a colossal screw up.  They happen, but you hope they don't happen often.

Discussions like these are exactly why analytics get brought up. They attempt to define the debate.  But as we all know, it doesn't get fully defined to the end.  It's all probabilities until it happens.

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Just to get this off my chest.  The definition of insanity is not repeating something and expecting different results.  It's a lot of things but insanity isn't one of them. As someone who has to deal with mental health isuses daily, trust me, everyone in my shoes wishes it was just someone doing the same thing expecting different results. 

Instead, we have to deal with depression, bipolar disorder, self harm, etc.  

You realize I was responding to a post right?

On 11/3/2019 at 12:45 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

When Trump said we’d get tired of winning I didn’t think he meant this. 

20 hours ago, Eleven said:

20 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not talking politics. It was a joke. But I’m confident @nfreeman can speak for himself. 

Well, @Eleven's hands are far from clean in this area, but he's right that this kind of little dig doesn't belong here.  Keep it in the club, please.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.