GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Sat. 11/2/19, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

OK, the Sabres got dusted last night and are back on their heels a bit after an unexpected and thrilling start to the season.  Let's see how they respond.  So far this year, they've followed each of their two prior regulation losses with shutout wins the following night. 

Your humble mod is making my annual pilgrimage back home this weekend and will be in attendance tonight as well as at the Ralph tomorrow.  It's my first Sabres game in Buffalo since game 3 of the 2006 ECF vs Carolina, which they won (and which was one of the loudest and most exciting live sporting events I've ever attended), but in which Tallinder broke his arm, beginning the crushing run of injuries to the D that ultimately robbed that fantastic team of a Cup.

I'm hoping for a much better outcome than last week's debacle vs the Rangers in NYC, which I also attended.

It's 70s night, baby!  Shagadelic!

image.thumb.png.8441623f6dedfe22c27c14cd5a00dda8.png

The Islanders beat Tampa last night and have won 8 in a row. 

Following the loss of John Tavares to Toronto, the Isles managed 103 points last season and swept Pittsburgh in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs in April before falling in four games in the next round to Carolina.

They opened this season by dropping three of their first four games, but their eight consecutive wins thereafter represent their longest streak since taking nine straight from Dec. 1989 through Jan. 1990.

The Islanders' leading scorers are Josh Bailey and Matthew Barzal, with 11 pts each, and Brock Nelson with 10.  Defensemen Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock are the ice time leaders with 21 min per game.

LW C RW Forwards
Anders Lee
Anders Lee

Rating: 73.8#45 LW

Mathew Barzal
Mathew Barzal

Rating: 76.8#25 C

Josh Bailey
Josh Bailey

Rating: 73.8#38 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 74.79#22 FL1
Anthony Beauvillier
Anthony Beauvillier

Rating: 72.1#75 LW

Brock Nelson
Brock Nelson

Rating: 74.7#46 C

Derick Brassard
Derick Brassard

Rating: 70.1#105 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 72.31#26 FL2
Michael Dal Colle
Michael Dal Colle

Rating: 71.0#108 LW

Casey Cizikas
Casey Cizikas

Rating: 71.4#123 C

Cal Clutterbuck
Cal Clutterbuck

Rating: 70.1#106 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 70.83#30 FL3
Ross Johnston
Ross Johnston

Rating: 71.5#93 LW

Cole Bardreau
Cole Bardreau

Rating: 73.2#71 C

Oliver Wahlstrom
Oliver Wahlstrom

Rating: 73.3#49 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 72.64#2 FL4

Defensive Pairings Defense
Adam Pelech
Adam Pelech

Rating: 73.9#41 LD

Ryan Pulock
Ryan Pulock

Rating: 75.4#21 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 74.66#15 DL1
Nick Leddy
Nick Leddy

Rating: 75.1#19 LD

Johnny Boychuk
Johnny Boychuk

Rating: 74.0#31 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 74.55#7 DL2
Devon Toews
Devon Toews

Rating: 75.5#13 LD

Scott Mayfield
Scott Mayfield

Rating: 73.1#51 RD

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Last year they were the far better team.   Yet, I look at their line up and just wonder how they can be better than us?  

The isles are a team team we have to pass to make the playoff.  Let’s start tonight.   

This team needs to play their hardest and avoid losing 3 straight.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Last year they were the far better team.   Yet, I look at their line up and just wonder how they can be better than us?  

The isles are a team team we have to pass to make the playoff.  Let’s start tonight.   

This team needs to play their hardest and avoid losing 3 straight.  

They have Barry Trotz who is an amazing coach 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Bounce back game, be the ball....

Go out there and give a hundred and ten percent, work hard both ways, hope to get a few bounces and finish the night with a W.

End the Isles streak, shut the critics up and get on that plane with some confidence. Get Dahlin some home cooking and have some family reunions for our Euros.

Let’s go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

Last game before Sweden... hope they fare better than the Lightning did in their last game.  Which.. ummm coincidentally? was against the Islanders.

Anyway.. I'll break out the 50th anniversary sweater for this game tonight.  My son is insanely jealous of me going to Sweden for the game.  He'll be even more jealous when he sees my in my 50th sweater... he'll be slightly less jealous when I hand it to him to keep instead...

Gonna be a great day full of hockey.  He plays for his league championship today and then we're home for the Sabres game tonight.  I love days like this.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I dropped my wife off for work near the Brooklyn Navy Yards this morning and decided to check out the new Wegmans that just opened. I saw two Bills fans and was disappointed that they didn't have a Dibellas or similar sandwich station and I probably won't be back. Sifting through the tea-leaves of this experience means SABRES WIN, 7-3.

Won't be able to watch as I have a 7pm game myself.

Don't know about replacing Gilmour. I haven't watched the Islanders yet, so I can't guess what kind of game-play matching is required tonight, but they do need a spark. Is Montour the guy who can do that?

I say no, because the active D approach last night is part of what killed them.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What do they do for that?

And what do they do for 2010s night?  Wailing and gnashing of teeth?

2020 night would be hella confusing what with the 20 or so genders.

Oh yeah. To keep this on point, Go Sabres !

Edited by bunomatic

21 minutes ago, ... said:

Don't know about replacing Gilmour. I haven't watched the Islanders yet, so I can't guess what kind of game-play matching is required tonight, but they do need a spark. Is Montour the guy who can do that?

I say no, because the active D approach last night is part of what killed them.

I don't think the "active-D approach" was as much a problem last night  as the "inactive-F approach" was, as evidenced with the 4-on-1. Forwards are supposed to cover for the D when they press. Last night we had the added need to press because we were behind the whole game, which complicated things even more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.