GDT: 11/1/19 Buffalo at Washington, 7:00 pm ET, MSG, NHL & WGR 550

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's the kind of crap that makes me question my sanity in paying for an NHL tv package to see the Sabres.

They blew us out in the first half a period and then coasted to an easy win. Doubt any of them even broke a sweat. Absolute rubbish and now I am no longer sure Kruger has any magic at all. Where'd the work ethic go? Where's the leadership? This is a quick return to the quitting Sabres and makes one wonder if the "culture" can ever be really changed here.

I hope for a surprising bounce back tomorrow, but if it's more of the same........

4 on 1 ...... I've been watching hockey for over 45 years and although I'm sure I've seen one sometime somewhere I can't remember one, and definitely not one so clearly 4 on 1. Embarrassing to say the least. 

Weren't you absolutely gushing about these very same players and coaches like 10 days ago?

It's a loooooooooooooong season my friend. It happens

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's the kind of crap that makes me question my sanity in paying for an NHL tv package to see the Sabres.

They blew us out in the first half a period and then coasted to an easy win. Doubt any of them even broke a sweat. Absolute rubbish and now I am no longer sure Kruger has any magic at all. Where'd the work ethic go? Where's the leadership? This is a quick return to the quitting Sabres and makes one wonder if the "culture" can ever be really changed here.

I hope for a surprising bounce back tomorrow, but if it's more of the same........

4 on 1 ...... I've been watching hockey for over 45 years and although I'm sure I've seen one sometime somewhere I can't remember one, and definitely not one so clearly 4 on 1. Embarrassing to say the least. 

We got blown out by the best team in the league on the road. Relax we are much improved and very young and have a chance to make the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 3

Maybe I'm nuts, but I didn't think it was as bad as the score indicated. The Sabres had a ton of chances in the 1st, and 30 shots on the game, but they just couldn't put any of them home. It didn't seem like they were "on their heels" at any point. They just played atrocious defense for a grand total of about 40 seconds, and the Caps took full advantage of every little lapse. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We had it in spades for the first two games. And the Montreal game. But it’s slowly leaked out of our game.

I was hopeful the break this week might give us a chance to reset. Instead it’s just reinforced the slide.

Yep.  They were working the puck up ice as a 5 man unit. 

Since, there has been a lot more separation of the forwards from the D and they are having a tougher time transitioning out to the other end.

But tonight, the issue was coverage, not the breakout (excepting perhaps the 5th goal against).

But get Montour back tomorrow and Scandella back soon and hopefully that gets them back on the right track.  They're whipping boys that the team is missing (Vesey and Marco) but counting the game they went out the Sabres are 1-2-1.  Far and away their worst stretch of hockey.  And the 2 guys that are missing were playing pretty well in their own zone.

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Weren't you absolutely gushing about these very same players and coaches like 10 days ago?

It's a loooooooooooooong season my friend. It happens

I was indeed. Optimistically hoping it wasn't a temporary blip but........NYR, Detroit, Arizona.....all poor games despite a win in there....a few days off to practice and get things sorted, but after that an even worse effort. and that's the operative word - effort. I didn't expect them to blow Washington out, or even win, but I did expect them to play tighter defensively and to give it a solid effort. What I saw instead was quit, just like previous years. No leadership. A weak and easily defeated team. It brings out the cynicism.

Bounce back (effort wise, win or lose) next game and my optimism will return, but another clunker and the cynicism (based on history with most of these players) will return until proven otherwise. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

9 hours ago, Skibum said:

Maybe I'm nuts, but I didn't think it was as bad as the score indicated. The Sabres had a ton of chances in the 1st, and 30 shots on the game, but they just couldn't put any of them home. It didn't seem like they were "on their heels" at any point. They just played atrocious defense for a grand total of about 40 seconds, and the Caps took full advantage of every little lapse. 

That's the game I watched. They got caught 3 times in the first flat footed and all 3 were goals. They hit at least 3 posts. Had a couple great deflections. They weren't good enough, but they were better than some of what i've read here. 

There's been a bad 4 game stretch. Most teams have a few in the season. I'd personally shake the lines a little. How they respond today matters. A bad showing, let's us know if they are soft or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've thought that these streaks cause more frustration than anything because it raises our expectations beyond where this team is. The team is improved talent wise but for me I'm looking at it over the whole season not one month or even two. Never thought we would be a playoff team and still don't. The Washington game score wise was not indicative of the game overall. Still we got beat by clearly a better team. We're not ready yet to consistently play with the big boys. Our top players are still not at a consistent level of play matching their talent level but it's too early to say they won't. Let's let this play out trying hard not get too up one game and too down after one.

10 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Reinhart sucks

Totally disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Over a full season this team would lose more games than it wins given the performance of this wonky and non-ideal top line to date 

I am of the same mind. You’re putting lipstick on a pig until your top line can be a net positive 5v5.

[John Mellencamp voice]

Little sh1tty ... are Jack and Sa-aaam. They get real confused, in their own end.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.