GDT: 11/1/19 Buffalo at Washington, 7:00 pm ET, MSG, NHL & WGR 550

That Aud Smell

I very much appreciate the incredibly detailed, labour-intensive GDT's that posters like @jsb create, but we shouldn't let that level of work be mandatory to get one of these rolling.

The Sabres are rested. Are they ready? The sledding gets a LOT tougher for them in November.

Let's go, Buffalo!

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Both teams should be up and ready for this one. Probably the most anticipated game for the Sabres since Tampa stopped the streak last  year in a terrific hockey game.

Expecting a burnburner full of Risto versus Ovi and fireworks from both PPs.

Yes, the Sabres best be prepared. This will be, perhaps, the first good test of where we're at.  

This month will be telling on where we are. I don't expect the points to be like October but I hope to see a team playing hard and maybe coming out around .500 .

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Weird to say, but I would damn near rather see them lose and look good doing it, than win against the odds.

Agree with this. Winning ugly is still ugly.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Both teams should be up and ready for this one. Probably the most anticipated game for the Sabres since Tampa stopped the streak last  year in a terrific hockey game.

Expecting a burnburner full of Risto versus Ovi and fireworks from both PPs.

24 minutes ago, ... said:

Yes, the Sabres best be prepared. This will be, perhaps, the first good test of where we're at.  

Biggest test of the season so far.  Should be a great game.  Somehow I feel good about it, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Weird to say, but I would damn near rather see them lose and look good doing it, than win against the odds.

Analytics have ruined people...

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Agree with this. Winning ugly is still ugly.

...or maybe it’s just too many years of false hope.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I know I opened myself to that. But, really. I'm done being happy with just whistling past the graveyard. Luck is fickle. I want to see a team that is good.

We all do. But good should be defined by winning, full stop.

To me as a fan, there is no difference between an analytically bad team losing the Stanley Cup final despite Dominik Hasek’s heroics and an analytically great team losing the Stanley Cup final due to Bernie Parent’s heroics.

The joy of following either team came from the art of their performance and the drama of the game stories that unfolded. Not from seeing dots congregate in the upper right corner of the chart.

Basing your enjoyment of the team on the charts is like judging your child’s happiness or success by the job they get or the partner they choose. Such things are indicators, not goals in and of themselves.

Hockey is entertainment. Live in the moment and let the games tell the story. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

And I am the negative nancy? This is a great test for Washington.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I know I opened myself to that. But, really. I'm done being happy with just whistling past the graveyard. Luck is fickle. I want to see a team that is good.

But a team that demonstrates how good it is by scoring on more shots than "expected" or allowing fewer shots to go in than "expected" is considered lucky. It's madness.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.