Risto to Right Wing??

John Tucker

8 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I could see Dahlin there too, but we need him on the blue line.  His defense will eventually come around.  Maybe a return to Sweden will help him out.  Ristolainen is who he is at this point.

But do we? Right now Joker and Gilmour look better and our depth at D has brought this conversation to the fore-front. Dahlin is most suited to make that move than any of our D. It could temporarily solve a position of need and not likely hurt the D as much. Risto's size and strength are needed more on D. Dahlin would still get time on the PP.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Maybe instead of size, I should've said physicality.  Size doesn't translate into strength/physicality.  Larsson, Girgensons and occasionally Okposo will throw their weight around.  Our lack of physicality up front will eventually catch up with us.  We didn't respond well to Anaheim's physical presence and will face more of it as the season rolls on.  All I'm saying is with the surplus of NHL defenseman we have, and if they are not traded, why not use one of them up front for an extended period of time until we can make moves to address it.  It doesn't necessarily have to be Ristolainen.  Again, this is all one guy thinking outside of the box a little!!

How often have you seen this kind of move made around the league, particularly with a 6+ year vet?  There's a reason for that.  The only ones I can think of come either very early in the career or with the most marginal of players.  Doohicke earlier mentioned Federov, but that was both temporary and also a hall of famer who was one of the best defensive forward who ever lived.  Ristolainen does not fall into any of those categories.

6 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But do we? Right now Joker and Gilmour look better and our depth at D has brought this conversation to the fore-front. Dahlin is most suited to make that move than any of our D. It could temporarily solve a position of need and not likely hurt the D as much. Risto's size and strength are needed more on D. Dahlin would still get time on the PP.

I'm very confused by the logic (not yours) that Dahlin is needed on the blue line yet your top minute guy is not.  The coaches seem to think otherwise as well.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

The only thing I can say is.....how often does the possible need for this kind of move happen and the team has the ability to do it?

On an emergency basis, sure, we see that and will continue to see that forever.

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm fine with it. Threads like this are dumb. Players like Risto don't switch positions. He's not Dustin Byfuglien or Brent Burns. 

And it's interesting to note that both of your guys went from F to D.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm fine with it. Threads like this are dumb. Players like Risto don't switch positions. He's not Dustin Byfuglien or Brent Burns. 

Thanks, I appreciate it!  It's pretty simple actually, don't read this thread, don't comment on it, and move on to the next one.  You'll live longer.  All I'm doing is tossing an idea out there.  It's not any less crazy than the idea of bringing in a coach from the soccer ranks!

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, shrader said:

How often have you seen this kind of move made around the league, particularly with a 6+ year vet?

How long did Lindy play before he moved from D to F?

46 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Eh, I think it's kind of a thought experiment as much as a serious proposal.  No games for three days, need something to talk about.

Another example was Mathieu Dandenault from the Red Wings.  He moved back and forth between D and RW, eventually settling in at D.  In contrast to Federov, he was a less talented player that made the transition from F to D.

Edited by Doohickie

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Another example was Mathieu Dandenault from the Red Wings.  He moved back and forth between D and RW, eventually settling in at D.  In contrast to Federov, he was a less talented player that made the transition from F to D.

Didn't Pominville start out as a D-man as well?  Jean-Luc Grand Pierre went back and forth too.  

Not unprecedented, and obviously not likely with Risto.

Edited by John Tucker

33 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Didn't Pominville start out as a D-man as well?  Jean-Luc Grand Pierre went back and forth too.  

Not unprecedented, and obviously not likely with Risto.

Pominville played the point on the PP now and then. I don't think he was ever a straight up Dman. As far as Jean Luc goes, I don't think he was ever good enough at either position to lock down a position. Tremendous athlete, not very good at the hockey. 

14 hours ago, John Tucker said:

I know it's been tossed around before, but with all the D-men in the system, what are the thoughts about moving Risto to the wing?  It's looking unlikely that JBots will get anything of worth for him at this point other than useless mid to late round picks.  With how awful Rodrigues has been and with Montour looking to return, why not give him a regular shot up front.  It's not like we couldn't use some size up front anyway.

Has it really been 'tossed around before'? I must have missed it.

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Pominville played the point on the PP now and then. I don't think he was ever a straight up Dman. As far as Jean Luc goes, I don't think he was ever good enough at either position to lock down a position. Tremendous athlete, not very good at the hockey. 

I thought he had played D in juniors, but I could be wrong.  As a scrapper, Jean-Luc was entertaining!!

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think that lately Dahlin's defense has been more suspect than anyone's.

He played center before and is very offensive minded......move Mitts to wing in Vesey's spot and try Dahlin at C. Out of all our D he would be the one I'd like to see at a forward position. You could probably put him on the wing as Sheary can play either side and leave Mitts at C.

Knowing from the time he was drafted that he was a C before he became a D has made me want to see him tried at a forward position, more or less just for s***ts and giggles.

Why should they move anyone anywhere?  They're 9-2-2 with the current setup.

There is nothing in Ristos game that I’ve noticed that screamed winger.

He seems to do his best work in open ice, with room, and on the rush.  IMO his worst work is down low and when he’s confined.  I don’t see that translating well to the wing.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

True, but they were 8-1-1 three games ago.  Is a 1-1-1 stretch enough to want to freshen things up?

No.

1 hour ago, John Tucker said:

Why wait til the ship is sinking to start tinkering?  Again, all just a thought

I'm coming more from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, John Tucker said:

Worse than Rodrigues?  Now that’s laughable!!  He’s a big body, something that we lack up front.  If we can’t trade him, may as well keep him off the blue line and at least throw his weight around

Then bring up Tage. I don't agree this is lacking. What is lacking is 1 more scoring forward, of any size. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.