Great October but..... What Does November Hold?

GASabresIUFAN

This team has much to be done.  We aren't playing 60 minutes and bad habits are re-surfacing.  It's twice now we opened with two goal leads against good teams and then turned of the gas.  Not good.  That said there is much to like so far but November is going to be very hard.

14 games, 5 back to backs, a trip to Sweden and 11 games against legit playoff teams.  Brutal.

3 games with TB (2 in Sweden)

Back to back with Toronto to end the month

First game with Boston, plus plus plus.

I'm going to be optimistic and say 7-5-2 for the month. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Regression to the mean" is a big expectation with Sabres fans.  I think many (most maybe?) expect at the first sign of them losing 2 out of 3...or any other losing streak..that the team is on the way back to being as good as last years team.  Possible? Yes, Likely, I don't think so and hope not.

Teams ebb and flow in the NHL, seemingly more than any other league.  We all know last year...later than we are now..the Sabres were the top team in the league...and early in the year the Champ Blues were at or near the bottom of the standings.  

What I think is possible and what I hope for each and every month...it to NOT have a calendar month where the team gets LESS than 1/2 the available points...and has a negative goal differential.  If they can stay on the positive side of those two measures every month....some months will be better than the others and I think that will put them in a good place by the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm still of the opinion that we underachieved last season. I think we should be better significantly this year but I entered the season thinking challenge but miss playoffs and still feel that way. Our schedule for the next month is challenging and we should see by mid December pretty much where this team is in it's development. Happy with the coaching.

TB and Toronto are both underachieving a bit, although both will likely bring their A games vs the Sabres.

The Sabres will definitely have to keep their feet on the gas.  Mitts' line needs to start contributing again and the goalies need to remain solid.

I can't say I'd be shocked if the Sabres come in well below DeLuca .500 in November, but I wouldn't be shocked if they come in well above, either.

Certainly the month will be a good test for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team has much to be done.  We aren't playing 60 minutes and bad habits are re-surfacing.  It's twice now we opened with two goal leads against good teams and then turned of the gas.  Not good.  That said there is much to like so far but November is going to be very hard.

14 games, 5 back to backs, a trip to Sweden and 11 games against legit playoff teams.  Brutal.

3 games with TB (2 in Sweden)

Back to back with Toronto to end the month

First game with Boston, plus plus plus.

I'm going to be optimistic and say 7-5-2 for the month. 

I would love to play 500 hockey and survive the month. I think that is the absolute best they can hope for and I am bracing for a freefall....

1 minute ago, ... said:

Whatever happens, this month defines the team for the rest of the season.

I agree.  A good November is something to really built on.  It will prove to pundits, fans and mostimportantly the team that they can compete and win against the big boys.  A bad November could do the opposite. 

However, although I’m expecting a small step back, I think Montour’s return could give the squad a shot in the arm.  

• Like (+1) 1

One of the biggest concerns is the fact that the 55-19 Pairing is regressing back to what they have always been and there really is not a pairing that has proven capable of taking a large amount of minutes from them. 6-10 would have been a good choice to do so, but with Scandella being out, the other pairs will need to step up for the time being. 

Also this doesn’t take into account that Scandella maybe traded shortly after he returns from injury. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

IHowever, although I’m expecting a small step back, I think Montour’s return could give the squad a shot in the arm.  

Not to argue, but, rather, to discuss...

I don't see how Montour could change the makeup of the D as it's presently being used.  He's no 24 minute a night guy and we already have plenty of puck-moving D.  No one on the team seems disinterested at this point, so "healthy internal competition" isn't going to factor in.

If anything, I'm a little concerned that inserting Montour will create the step back rather than address the slow-slippage in play we've seen creep into the team since the first few games.

• Like (+1) 1

Colorado started the season at 6-1-2 last year, then promptly lost 6 of their next 7. Pittsburgh went 1-7-2 early, reeled off an 8-game win streak in mid-season, then a run of 3-8. Both teams made the playoffs.

It is the unusual team that fails to have ebbs and flows over the course of the season.

Our fan base is not equipped to handle them, but hopefully the team is, or at least better equipped than they were last year. Certainly their coach understands that just like 8-1-1 over 10 games is no reason to plan the parade, 1-1-1 is no reason to panic either. It’s a marathon, with hills, and we just have to be prepared to keep running.

No one believes this is a first-place team, but it has looked like a competitive one. Keep the inevitable low to 3-6-1 instead of 3-11 and we might get the 76 points in the final 69 games we need to get playoffs.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

59 minutes ago, ... said:

Whatever happens, this month defines the team for the rest of the season.

If the team is still near the top of the standings by the end of November it will be impossible for them to miss the playoffs. I can't think of a single instance of a team being first in the league in december and completely missing out on the post-season. This drought ends this year!

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If the team is still near the top of the standings by the end of November it will be impossible for them to miss the playoffs. I can't think of a single instance of a team being first in the league in december and completely missing out on the post-season. This drought ends this year!

I’m almost 100% positive I heard this last season about Thanksgiving

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.