The curious case of Geordie Robertson (82-83 Sabre)

PASabreFan

YouTube gets to know what you like, so it recommended the following Sabres-Oilers video from February 1983. At first I thought it was the Gretzky 77th goal game, but it wasn't. One year off. But I kept hearing this name being called for a Sabres player — Geordie Robertson. No clue who he was, but he was all over the ice. I thought I was losing it. 82-83 was the height of my early fandom. I felt better after discovering he played only five games for the Sabres in his career, all in the 82-83 season. He had three points, which shouldn't be surprising given the way he lit it up in the AHL for the Amerks and Adirondack. Still, those five games in Buffalo were the only games he ever saw in the big league. I wonder why.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I bet @Taro T will have some thoughts on this. My only takeaway was that he was super soft.  That was the impression from 10-12 year old me. 

Not really. 

He was another in the Jody Gage, Gates Orlando mold.  Too good for the AHL, and not good enough for the NHL because although they had good enough speed and hands for the A, they just weren't good enough for the show.

Always wondered why they couldn't package a couple of those guys together to send to a Colorado/ NJ or TO (teams they probably could've made because they REALLY did not have a full complement of NHL forwards (or D for that matter, maybe they could've added a Jim Hofford type to that as well)) for something that might be NHL caliber in a couple of years on an actual NHL team.  Those guys were never going to get more than a cup of coffee in Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

But then he didn't even get a sniff on the woeful 85-86 Dead Things, who finished with 40 points (and were coached by Brad Park @New Scotland (NS)).

Which demonstrates he was even less of a tweener than those others.  And likely answered the Q as to why the Sabres couldn't pull off a quantity for quality deal.  Though those GMs were dumb, they weren't (complete) morons. 

He was the leading scorer on two Calder Cup teams (82-83 Amerks and 85-86 in Adirondack — thank you Wikipedia), so maybe he was deemed to be too valuable to his AHL team. I'm hardly interested enough to delve into it, but I wonder how many players who produced the way he did didn't even get sniffs at the NHL. It looks like he's a financial advisor in Rochester. Taro, could you drop by under the guise of having some money you want to invest, then casually bring up the (probably sore) topic? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

You know, I'm trying to not swear as much, but ***** Brad Park.

There have been many punchable Bruin faces over the years, but Park might lead the way.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So what we've determined is he'd probably have a regular NHL gig if he played today, post expansions.

Good point. But there were 21 teams in 85-86. It's not like it was the Original Six days.

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

But then he didn't even get a sniff on the woeful 85-86 Dead Things, who finished with 40 points (and were coached by Brad Park @New Scotland (NS)).

I gave you a sad thingie for this post.

You seem bound and determined to bring out Angry NS by mentioning that unmentionable most dastardly of those dastardly Bruins.

Well, Mr. Smarty Pants … IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!! Ha!!

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So there are 10 more now x 23 roster spots so there are 230 more NHL players today than there were in 1985.  I think it's fair to assume that a 2 time leading scorer in the AHL would be among the next 230 players called up to duty, even accounting for the increased Europeans and Russians.

saturday night live snl GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.