GDT: 10/28/19 Arizona at Buffalo, 7pm ET, MSG, NHL and WGR550

jsb

11 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I literally quoted the rulebook explaining simultaneous contact is not tripping.  I don't care who the hell you are, that's the rulebook.

Yes, that is what the rulebook states.  And, as I wrote, the rule is subject to interpretation, as all rules are.  According to a current NHL analyst who actually played the game, the current interpretation is what I wrote above.  I'm going to go ahead and trust his opinion.  Best of luck to you.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I wasn't wrong either.

I'm afraid I didn't see what you had written on the topic.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes, that is what the rulebook states.  And, as I wrote, the rule is subject to interpretation, as all rules are.  According to a current NHL analyst who actually played the game, the current interpretation is what I wrote above.  I'm going to go ahead and trust his opinion.  Best of luck to you.

It's a BS interpretation and was a bad call.  Especially as it was the guy at center ice who called it, not the ref right in front of the incident.  And that same ref refused to call the blatant hooks and grabs on his own side of the ice.  Bad reffing, even if Marty thinks Hutton deserves to be penalized for his sweeps more, it's an 'interpretation' of the rules that ignores the wording of the rule itself.

Just now, ... said:

Well, this kind of helps to explain a little of last night:

It was clear from the eye test that Buffalo's chances were great, and had way too many open net wide shots and posts stopping them from running away with the game.

33 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

it's an 'interpretation' of the rules that ignores the wording of the rule itself.

That may be, but that's not really uncommon in life, in my experience.  I can direct you to thousands of volumes of bad interpretations of statutes and regulations.  If that's how the league is interpreting it at present, well, that's that.  Other blown calls on the ice don't mean that this one was bad.

And I'm not even sure that it's a bad interpretation; it's been this way for a long time, and there's a good reason for it.  It's more a case of the rulebook not keeping up with current practices.

I can agree that the ref at the net should have primary responsibility for policing that area, though.

Edited by Eleven

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You just don't listen to me anymore. At the beginning, you hung on every word. And as for the other stuff you don't do anymore, well, let's not get into that.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I literally quoted the rulebook explaining simultaneous contact is not tripping.  I don't care who the hell you are, that's the rulebook.

You quoted USA Hockey rules.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I don't get how people are down on Dahlin after this game?  Some of the things he did this game you don't see from any other player in the league.  Yes, he gets worked in the d-zone sometimes, but he's only 19 and it's just a size thing.  Give him a break.

The bolded is the kind of stuff that drives some of the Dahlin snark. Which isn't right or fair, because who should care what another fan thinks? It's just that the Greatness of Dahlin has been jammed down people's throats. I felt the same way about The Eliteness of Ryan Miller. I am going to try really hard to not do it again with Dahlin. Dahlin's really good and might (edit: some day) be great, but at this point, I'm pretty sure he's well behind big parts of Jokiharju's game, and Jokiharju is 20.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am impressed with how they forecheck deep and hard. 

They can loosey Goosey in their end.  We just have not shot enough.  

Well we all are impressed with how Larsson - Girgensons - Okposo play the same way.   

I wasn't impressed with the coyotes  bad angle shots and hoping for lucky bounces.   They shoot like we have been doing for 7 years, I like how we go for quality over quantity.   And we had enough chances to finish out the game.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The bolded is the kind of stuff that drives some of the Dahlin snark. Which isn't right or fair, because who should care what another fan thinks? It's just that the Greatness of Dahlin has been jammed down people's throats. I felt the same way about The Eliteness of Ryan Miller. I am going to try really hard to not do it again with Dahlin. Dahlin's really good and might (edit: some day) be great, but at this point, I'm pretty sure he's well behind big parts of Jokiharju's game, and Jokiharju is 20.

Dahlin catching a pass thrown at his hip with the blade of his stick choked down on, dropping the puck to the ice, without a step lost on a rush out of the zone creating a 3 on 1 is an ELITE TALENT. You don't go to a player like that and tell him to play conservative at all costs because sometimes it doesn't work.  That's only what you teach guys who can't dazzle and make plays.  Dahlin may have some stinker moments, but when a team is averaging 3 goals per game, and the player in sheltered minutes is averaging a PPG, you take those trades.

Jokiharju plays things safe and is rarely on the rush.  Of course he's going to look out of place less.  The size/muscle gap from age 19 to 20 is also pretty large.  Give it a break.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We need to find a way to upgrade Erod, Vesey, and Sobotka. 

After last night's debacle of a performance by Rodrigues (he doesn't deserve E-Rod anymore), he's shot up to #1 on the upgrade list.  Luckily we already have a proven upgrade who also happens to be on your list. ?

Some disagree with Vesey's inclusion on the list to begin with, however.

12 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

After last night's debacle of a performance by Rodrigues (he doesn't deserve E-Rod anymore), he's shot up to #1 on the upgrade list.  Luckily we already have a proven upgrade who also happens to be on your list. ?

Some disagree with Vesey's inclusion on the list to begin with, however.

I would note that a player can upgrade themselves. So if Vesey starts adding more, I have no problem with him. 

Amazing to read this but despite all the possession time, zone time, and shot attempts, we did not get a SOG on the OT last night.  Clanging a few off of the post does not count as a SOG. 

For the game we were outshot by a wide margin.  So despite having the better snipers and the pretty goals we just do not test the goalie enough.  Sometimes we overpass and it is starting to become a problem. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:36 AM, #freejame said:

Kessel looked great last night for Phoenix. Not sure why people don’t like him. 

I will always remember him as the guy who swatted John Scott away with his stick, then continue to do so once reinforcements  arrived. 

Good player that acts like a jerk. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We need to find a way to upgrade Erod, Vesey, and Sobotka. 

upgrade Sobotka with a real top 6 forward, then Sobie can be moved down a line and Erod can be packaged in a deal.   

Sobie has some value as the 2nd PK guy. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Amazing to read this but despite all the possession time, zone time, and shot attempts, we did not get a SOG on the OT last night.  Clanging a few off of the post does not count as a SOG. 

For the game we were outshot by a wide margin.  So despite having the better snipers and the pretty goals we just do not test the goalie enough.  Sometimes we overpass and it is starting to become a problem. 

You point out the reasons various statistics are not telling of what happened, but then go on to ignore that and hold those statistics against them?  Not sure how their OT could’ve been better other than scoring. The goalie getting a save means a potential lost possession.  They tried picking corners and were less than an inch from scoring multiple times. 

16 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I will always remember him as the guy who swatted John Scott away with his stick, then continue to do so once reinforcement arrived. 

Good player that acts like e jerk. 

John Scott is about a foot taller than Kessel.  I hate Phil's face more than anyone but it's not like he was gonna go toe to toe with John. 

13 hours ago, inkman said:

John Scott is about a foot taller than Kessel.  I hate Phil's face more than anyone but it's not like he was gonna go toe to toe with John. 

Sure, he is in fighter and Scott is taller than most anyone in the game.    

Its the stick swinging, even after he was “safe” and Scott was engaged with others, but Kessel kept swinging.  Not a fan, sorry.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.