Dale Hawerchuk battling Stomach Cancer

matter2003

Very sad to hear. Read the article and it sounds like a terrible ordeal to go through. Love his positive attitude and hope he indeed does live to tell the story of this. I can still hear RJs call from almost three decades ago, “Hawerchuk,, Day-Ill  Hawerchuk! And the game is tied at one!” 

On a a related note, it’s just good to learn from from situations like this. Salt has been linked closely to stomach cancer. A few years ago I started watching my sodium intake and my goodness is it hard to avoid. If you are not watching how much you take in then you are mostly likely taking in too much. It’s in almost everything. 

Here is is an article on it: https://www.wcrf.org/int/blog/articles/2016/04/salt-shaking-link-stomach-cancer

16 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Very sad to hear. Read the article and it sounds like a terrible ordeal to go through. Love his positive attitude and hope he indeed does live to tell the story of this. I can still hear RJs call from almost three decades ago, “Hawerchuk,, Day-Ill  Hawerchuk! And the game is tied at one!” 

On a a related note, it’s just good to learn from from situations like this. Salt has been linked closely to stomach cancer. A few years ago I started watching my sodium intake and my goodness is it hard to avoid. If you are not watching how much you take in then you are mostly likely taking in too much. It’s in almost everything. 

Here is is an article on it: https://www.wcrf.org/int/blog/articles/2016/04/salt-shaking-link-stomach-cancer

Sodium is found in high amounts in many processed foods...the easiest way to avoid it is to avoid processed foods and cook your own meals.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Salt intake has been linked to stomach cancer? Show me the study, otherwise that's absurd. Besides, the salt you are referring to,  industrial "table salt", has been heated to 500 degrees when processed for consumption.. Other than added iodine, it has no nutritional value. The human body needs salt(sea salt or pink Himalayan will do) for electrolytes, for proper nerve signaling. Not only that; in terms of  pre-diabetes or insulin resistance, too low a salt intake is just as bad, if not worse than too much sugar. On average, you need about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons a day per gallon of water.

7 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Salt intake has been linked to stomach cancer? Show me the study, otherwise that's absurd. Besides, the salt you are referring to,  industrial "table salt", has been heated to 500 degrees when processed for consumption.. Other than added iodine, it has no nutritional value. The human body needs salt(sea salt or pink Himalayan will do) for electrolytes, for proper nerve signaling. Not only that; in terms of  pre-diabetes or insulin resistance, too low a salt intake is just as bad, if not worse than too much sugar. On average, you need about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons a day per gallon of water.

A link to an article penned by a doctor on a legit world cancer research organization website doesn't instill confidence in credibility?  Sure, I'll bet you'd have a better background for interpreting the study results. 

The world has gone haywire.  We doubt legitimate scientists because we don't like what they tell us. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The article says salt preserved foods.  How many of us even eat salt preserved foods anymore? 

It's in my repertoire.

Then again, my plan to not outlive my retirement savings includes, butter, bacon, and bourbon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Weave said:

A link to an article penned by a doctor on a legit world cancer research organization website doesn't instill confidence in credibility?  Sure, I'll bet you'd have a better background for interpreting the study results. 

The world has gone haywire.  We doubt legitimate scientists because we don't like what they tell us. 

I doubt scientist because 2 legitimate scientists,  often say 2 different things. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.