GDT: 10/25/19 Sabres at Red Wings, 7:30pm ET, MSG, WGR

darksabre

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Watching the games makes me wonder if we need an upgrade of personnel or more commitment to defending in their own end. We go through periods of backing off and allowing teams too much time and space. That's why opponents shot totals climb. Fortunately our goaltending has been very good. 

Yes to both.  Both are a work in progress.

10 hours ago, inkman said:

This is ?

Is that a set play? It’s almost like Skinner is being used as an added distraction. He had a chance to intercept both of those cross ice passes. Doohickie mentioned it, but it’s hilarious to hear the Detroit color guy mutter,”Oh, my God. What a play.” While the PBP guy is still making the call.

i liked that game. 

It’s amazing to me how much Detroit held and interfered. It’s funny to me that we got the only interference call.

Miller’s got a helluva shot. The fact that Samson was able to tip it to try and score 5hole was even more impressive.

Risto played a great game.

Good to see Dahlin bounce back.

Even though he played great game, I wasn’t thrilled in seeing Jack’s old habit of making his line mates go offsides make a return. Trust your line mates, Jack. They’re pretty good.

(Long time reader, don’t usually post)

Compelled to echo sentiments I read earlier in the thread.

McCabe played out of his mind last night. Sabres have a nice mix of offensive minded and defensive minded D-men. McCabe is leading the NHL in blocked shots, and to get a goal from him is an added bonus. He’s really blossomed into the D-man everyone here was clamoring about 4-5 years ago.

Sooo, I see some people being kind of negative about the team after last nights game.  As if the clouds of gloom and inevitable failure are sweeping overhead.

I just want to point out a few things.  That was their 6th game in 10 days.  5 of those 6 were on the road.  3 of those 5 were on a west coast road trip.  Also it was the 2nd of back to back road games.

Situations like this can help to result in uneven play.  Especially for this team, which is not some powerhouse stacked with top talent, despite the early season results.  Few even thought this was a playoff team before the season started.

A couple games ago, after beating San Jose at home everything was hunky dorrey, and now the sky is falling?  After a 2-0 win no less?

Its going to be ok everyone.  Deep breaths.  This team isn’t going to win 65 games, they never were, but they still have a high chance of making the playoffs.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I just want to point out a few things.  That was their 6th game in 10 days.  5 of those 6 were on the road.  3 of those 5 were on a west coast road trip.  Also it was the 2nd of back to back road games.

Situations like this can help to result in uneven play.  Especially for this team, which is not some powerhouse stacked with top talent, despite the early season results.  Few even thought this was a playoff team before the season started.

I agree with this portion, we just played 2 straight 3 games in 4 days, 5 of them on the road which although we had 1 game at home with the travel it almost was a 6 game road trip and they won 4 of them. Their not getting in morning skates which is probably a good thing but what seems like it's getting missed here is that they are not getting any practice days in to correct whatever the coaching staff thinks they are doing wrong. The one thing I think HCRK has done that has showed dividends this year is put together an experienced and knowledgeable staff. The GK coach has them playing with confidence, the defense is on a completely different page although Steve Smith was here last year and Taylor has given the young guys someone they already know to talk to. 

Mistakes happen in games but what I see are much less instances of the opposition attacking with 3 on 1 and 3 on 2 advantages and even when there's a  3 on 3 everyone seems to instinctively know who to take to minimize problems unlike last year where they looked like a discombobulated mess. Perfect no but this team is light years from the 2nd half team we saw last year.

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Tic tac toe.  Beautiful.  But you know if that puck goes off a leg or isn’t completed perfectly everyone on here is crying because they didn’t just shoot it.

They couldn't shoot it, Eichel and oloffson were being blocked.  That is the beauty of this powerplay, they can block their shooting lanes but they can pass it to skinner and Reinhart. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn't able to watch last night but was happy to see a win.

Arizona is going to be a tough game, that team doens't look like a push-over this year and from what i've read they make you work to score and don't give up a lot. We'll need a strong game from out goalie and my early prediction is Oloffsson getting one on the peeper.

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

Last night to me just looked like your typical Blysma-coached game - the middle of the ice was crowded, Jack was doubled or tripled and the more talented team eventually prevailed in a slog fest.  Boring hockey that Blysma’s system forces upon NHL fans.  Whatever

Well, he was behind the Red Wings bench...

On 10/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, Cascade Youth said:

Last night to me just looked like your typical Blysma-coached game - the middle of the ice was crowded, Jack was doubled or tripled and the more talented team eventually prevailed in a slog fest.  Boring hockey that Blysma’s system forces upon NHL fans.  Whatever

Is Dan banging your mom?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.