GDT: 10/25/19 Sabres at Red Wings, 7:30pm ET, MSG, WGR

darksabre

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Gotta start Linus next game.   

Still a lot of questions after this one.  Yeah it's a win but they looked like ass against an ass team.

It was a back to back 3 games in 4 nights and all 3 games were in different cities. Give the boys some credit pi.

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Still a lot of questions after this one.  Yeah it's a win but they looked like ass against an ass team.

Isn’t that the issue though? They play down to the level of lesser competition. I remember that being a point of discussion last year. 

Last season after the streak the losing became a way of life.

The Sabres have lost two games in regulation.  Both games were blow outs that the "good" Sabres could have won.  Both in the front end of the back to back and both games after they were feeling pretty good about the themselves.

Score on the back end? 3-0 Sabres win and 2-0 Sabres win.  Neither games was perfect and that was a reflection partly of tired legs.  But the Sabres worked hard, stuck with the system and got excellent goaltending and won games that they easily would have lost last year.

Bottomline:  This is a good young hockey team that is still learning the system and learning how to win.  Shutout wins after the regulation losses is what good teams do.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Isn’t that the issue though? They play down to the level of lesser competition. I remember that being a point of discussion last year. 

Correct.   You won't find sustained success playing that way.

Saw only parts of the game.  But getting outshot 12-6 and 21-5 in periods is not a good sign.

Teams have learned how to defend the Sabres and they are starting to press the team.  There are some bad habits starting to appear and they need to correct those.

Most notably?  Teams are getting the Sabres to focus on a low puck carrier while a guy drops in behind the play and has a clear shot at the goal.  I've seen it in a few games now... the Sharks were able to execute on it as were the Rangers.  The Red Wings not so much.

They need to pick it up.  They are much slower moving the puck out of their zone and almost look like they are beginning to think out there... and thinking is the enemy of being good.

I'll take the win.. but against better competition.. that's not a win.

I just rewatched the McCabe goal. 

The Twitter feed doesn't really capture the whole play.  The Facebook video goes back further.  The Sabres D are in control, with McCabe passing across to Risto.  Risto launches a long pass from his own zone to the Detroit blue line where Eichel skates into it.  He takes the puck around the boards, behind the net, with Larkin mugging him.  He skates through it though, drawing three Red Wings toward him before Bertuzzi finally lays a check on him.  With most of the Red Wings thus distracted, Reinhart is there to control the puck and pass it to a wide open McCabe who skates it in toward the top of the circle while Olofsson sets up a screen, before letting the shot go. 

All five Sabres were in on the play, four of them handling the puck, one setting the screen.  The speed and strength of Jack and the playmaking ability of Sam are on full display.  They complement each other well.  McCabe isn't known for his scoring, but give him some time and space and he knows what to do. 

Edited by Doohickie

I agree with those who said they came out still in the funk from the Rangers game, but took over against a crappy team in the 2nd and 3rd.  Overall a good grind-it-out win of the type that playoff teams get, especially after a loss. 

Linus was excellent and probably their best player tonight.  

• Like (+1) 3

I recorded this one and just finished it. They played like rubbish, just as bad as the night before if not worse. Only difference was Ullmark had a good game and held it scoreless early and Detroit is kind of like us last year (and the year before), lots of speed and skating around paired with a complete inability to finish a play and score a goal. We play ANY decent team like that and we lose big time again.

makes me start to wonder, can a Buffalo hockey team only manage 10 good games a year and we've had ours? I sure hope they get it together soon, but if this is the way it keeps going it'll get ugly again really fast.

my fingers are crossed that Krueger can fix this.

(Detroit may just beat Ottawa in the race to the bottom)

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I missed the game, in Chicago taking the wife out. 

I see we won 2-0, and I went to the last page of GDT.   This is the first thing I read on the game   

Hard to believe a shutout win on the road on a back to back road trip can get a bad review. 

In a way, I'm a little glad Botterill didn't move right away to add a second liner.  It may have been hasty in retrospect without first knowing what this team is.  I still can't put my finger on what this team is and what the appropriate upgrade should be.  Not like scoring is a stand-out issue right now, or goaltending, or defense. However, it's clear this team needs an upgrade somewhere.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hard to believe a shutout win on the road on a back to back road trip can get a bad review. 

I'm noticing Buffalo sports fans are a bit salty this season. Maybe a defense mechanism as the organizations enjoy some early season success? Maybe now, with more talented rosters, there is finally something to lose? Or maybe it's something else.

Went to last week's Bills game, and boy-oh-boy were Bills fans cranky. Like suddenly we should immediately out-class the bad teams, just roll them from the start and there's nothing they--the Dolphins (or insert Rangers here)--can do about it that isn't our own fault(s). Which is bonkers in the context of 2019, and where Buffalo teams have been recently. 

Buffalo fans are at a strange crossroads. At least some of them. The short-sighted masses, maybe. The I-Told-You-So-ers of the world. The impatient, intolerant, on-demand consumers of modern sports. No patience for process...

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'm noticing Buffalo sports fans are a bit salty this season. Maybe a defense mechanism as the organizations enjoy some early season success? Maybe now, with more talented rosters, there is finally something to lose? Or maybe it's something else.

Went to last week's Bills game, and boy-oh-boy were Bills fans cranky. Like suddenly we should immediately out-class the bad teams, just roll them from the start and there's nothing they--the Dolphins (or insert Rangers here)--can do about it that isn't our own fault(s). Which is bonkers in the context of 2019, and where Buffalo teams have been recently. 

Buffalo fans are at a strange crossroads. At least some of them. The short-sighted masses, maybe. The I-Told-You-So-ers of the world. The impatient, intolerant, on-demand consumers of modern sports. No patience for process...

Murica! Your either with us or a Leafs fan. We will not bow to the Milbury and Edwards Axis of Evil. Surprised Toby Keith hasn’t already made a song about how awesome the Sabres and Bills are. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Ehh...they looked OK in the 1st, the better team in the 2nd and then kind of got complacent in the 3rd. Detroit literally could have played 10 periods last night and wouldn't have scored.

5 hours ago, ... said:

In a way, I'm a little glad Botterill didn't move right away to add a second liner.  It may have been hasty in retrospect without first knowing what this team is.  I still can't put my finger on what this team is and what the appropriate upgrade should be.  Not like scoring is a stand-out issue right now, or goaltending, or defense. However, it's clear this team needs an upgrade somewhere.

Watching the games makes me wonder if we need an upgrade of personnel or more commitment to defending in their own end. We go through periods of backing off and allowing teams too much time and space. That's why opponents shot totals climb. Fortunately our goaltending has been very good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.