GDT: 10/25/19 Sabres at Red Wings, 7:30pm ET, MSG, WGR

darksabre

You can't win em all, and the Sabres proved that last night.

They'll look to bounce-back tonight on better ice in Detroit.

The Red Wings are decidedly average so far this season, but they have just enough talent to give you some problems.

The Sabres took 3 of 4 games against Detroit last season, including a 7-1 win in Detroit for the season finale.

While I wasn't rooting for this kind of loss, I was expecting it to happen eventually. Now I want to seem them come out motivated to not let that happen again, or at least not lose twice in a row.

I think games like these: back to back after a bad loss will make or break the season. Time to get a better idea if the 10 game start was a fluke like last year, or the start of our first playoff season in forever.

Let's Go!

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The problem with coming in to Detroit tonight is that they've lost 6 in a row. Just by the odds they are well over-due for a win. Never a good situation for a team looking to bounce back from a drubbing the previous night.

This could be a wild one.

I kinda figured we were gonna lose one honestly; we were really riding that high after San Jose. We got punched in the mouth, and it might be a good thing for us, as long as we get back right here 

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I kinda figured we were gonna lose one honestly; we were really riding that high after San Jose. We got punched in the mouth, and it might be a good thing for us, as long as we get back right here 

Against any other team I would consider this game money in the bank. But man, a 6 game losing streak is just dying to end against us lol

Andreas Athanasiou had 30 goals last year and has none so far this season and is playing the worst hockey of his life by a large margin. I can't imagine that continues. I'd be watching him tonight.

Detroit is the Atlantic Division definition of the Rangers.

They are going to be just as desperate to stop the losing as the Rangers.

Buffalo is traveling from NYC to Detroit to play.  Not far, but not insignificant either.

All in all, this has all the makings of another bad game for Buffalo.

Let's hope the team comes out fired up to show that last night was an anomaly.  Let's hope the ice is better than it was at MSG.  There's no doubt the crowd size will be similar!

Go Buffalo... and seriously this time.  Go.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

You can't win em all, and the Sabres proved that last night.

They'll look to bounce-back tonight on better ice in Detroit.

The Red Wings are decidedly average so far this season, but they have just enough talent to give you some problems.

The Sabres took 3 of 4 games against Detroit last season, including a 7-1 win in Detroit for the season finale.

I really wonder if the Rags make ***** ice on purpose to help their low talent team compete.  All game I couldn't help but notice the Sabres looked half a step off, something ice could be directly attributed to.  Just a thought, probably more conspiracy theory than reality but nothing would surprise me.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I really wonder if the Rags make ***** ice on purpose to help their low talent team compete.  All game I couldn't help but notice the Sabres looked half a step off, something ice could be directly attributed to.  Just a thought, probably more conspiracy theory than reality but nothing would surprise me.  

Same. That place is so bad to play in. I would bet because it's an old building and they use it for basketball 

I expect a win tonight. This team will be engaged and won't sit back after being frustrated and sloppy last night. Their goaltending is bad and their defense is questionable. That said, just like the Rangers they can pounce on mistakes. We need to be aggressive early and often. 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Detroit is the Atlantic Division definition of the Rangers.

They are going to be just as desperate to stop the losing as the Rangers.

Buffalo is traveling from NYC to Detroit to play.  Not far, but not insignificant either.

All in all, this has all the makings of another bad game for Buffalo.

Let's hope the team comes out fired up to show that last night was an anomaly.  Let's hope the ice is better than it was at MSG.  There's no doubt the crowd size will be similar!

Go Buffalo... and seriously this time.  Go.

It does.  But it is also an opportunity for them to demonstrate to themselves that they aren't the same frail team that stumbled through the 2nd half of last season.

The '06-'07 team had several goals, the 1st of which was to never lose 2 games in a row.  Doubt this team is talented enough to do that as long as that other team did (1st 2 games vs the Otters was the 1st time it happened all year) but it should be a goal of theirs to not lose 2 in a row any more (and considering that they haven't done so yet, to never let it happen at present).

Expecting Scandella will be out with whatever upper lower body injury (hammy or groin) he suffered last night and Vesey could also miss.  So, they'll be facing some adversity which will help keep the overconfidence to a minimum.  Don't know how it'll work out but know they'll be much more focused tonight.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It does.  But it is also an opportunity for them to demonstrate to themselves that they aren't the same frail team that stumbled through the 2nd half of last season.

The '06-'07 team had several goals, the 1st of which was to never lose 2 games in a row.  Doubt this team is talented enough to do that as long as that other team did (1st 2 games vs the Otters was the 1st time it happened all year) but it should be a goal of theirs to not lose 2 in a row any more (and considering that they haven't done so yet, to never let it happen at present).

Expecting Scandella will be out with whatever upper lower body injury (hammy or groin) he suffered last night and Vesey could also miss.  So, they'll be facing some adversity which will help keep the overconfidence to a minimum.  Don't know how it'll work out but know they'll be much more focused tonight.

I think Gilmour subbing in is a good fit against a speedy Detroit team anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

cut.jpg

The Sabres were unable to overcome an early deficit in a 6-2 loss to the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden last night. 

They have a chance to rebound tonight. The Sabres will visit the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena for the first time this season, with coverage on MSG beginning at 7 p.m. The puck drops at 7:30.

Here's what you need to know. 

About last night

The Rangers built a 3-0 lead in the first period on the strength of goals from Artemi Panarin, Brett Howden, and Ryan Strome. From that point on, every time the Sabres inched back, the Rangers responded.

Marco Scandella and Vladimir Sobotka scored the two Sabres goals. Carter Hutton made 18 saves in his first loss of the season. 

Scandella and Jimmy Vesey both left the game with injuries in the second period. Scandella returned to the bench for the third, though he did not skate another shift. Vesey did not return. 

The team was traveling with a 13th forward in Evan Rodrigues and a seventh defenseman in John Gilmour. They added an eighth by recalling William Borgen from Rochester this morning. 

Read the Lexus Postgame Reportfrom New York for full highlights and reactions. Here's an excerpt:

Overall, the Sabres are now 8-2-1 on the season and despite the mistakes, they know they're trending in the right direction. 

"The growth process doesn't change depending on the score of a game. We are still making mistakes. We made mistakes in past games that we were able to find ways to win," Sabres coach Ralph Krueger said. "And today, we just couldn't recover from the hole that we dug ourselves into. This is not a big problem. These guys are trying and sometimes it's because they're trying a little too hard that the mistakes are happening. We need to get that balance better. 

"We're not OK with the puck management we had today. None of us are," he continued. "We didn't show the Rangers enough respect and they punished us for it. We will learn from that. We're not OK with that. 

"Again, we have to find that balance and we're working on it. We want to play on our toes. We want to play hockey that pushes us forward. We still need to work on some things to get that right."

Tonight's matchup

As was the case with the Rangers, the Red Wings enter the contest amid a prolonged losing streak. Detroit's skid hit six games with a 5-2 loss in Ottawa on Wednesday. 

Also like the Rangers, the Red Wings have struggled to keep opponents off the board. They have allowed exactly five goals in five of their last six losses. Their average of 3.80 goals against per game is the second-highest mark in the NHL. 

Anthony Mantha leads the Red Wings with seven goals and 11 points in 10 games. Tyler Bertuzzi enters the contest riding a three-game point streak, during which he's tallied a goal and two assists.

Here are tonight's top notes from Sabres PR: 

•   The Sabres are 8-2-2 against the Red Wings since the beginning of the 2016-17 season, including a 5-1-0 record on the road and a 3-0-1 record last season.

•   The Sabres enter tonight's game with wins in three consecutive visits to Detroit for just the second time in franchise history, joining Buffalo's five-game road winning streak against the Red Wings from Oct. 25, 1979 to Dec. 12, 1981.

•   Rasmus Ristolainen has totaled 16 points (1+15) in 15 games against Detroit since the beginning of the 2015-16 season, including points in each of his last five (1+6) and at least a point in all eight road games during that span (1+11).

•   Marcus Johansson is expected to appear in his 600th NHL game tonight

This is a big game.  If they lose to two cellar dwellers back-to-back it will undo the early season success and optimism.  They looked flat out bad last night.  Please wash this taste from my mouth and dominate the Wings.

Need a bounce back from many but Dahlin seemed to have his worst game last night.  Sabres need a strong showing from he and Miller.  I'll throw Skinner into the uncharacteristically bad game catagory too.  His penalties were very untimely.  He's got something to prove tonight.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I expect a win tonight. This team will be engaged and won't sit back after being frustrated and sloppy last night. Their goaltending is bad and their defense is questionable. That said, just like the Rangers they can pounce on mistakes. We need to be aggressive early and often. 

We also need to pay attention when Larkin and Mantha  are on the ice and not just hand them the puck with bad decision making.

Looking forward to Borgen  making his presence known, if he gets to play.

Let's show Detroit who has the best wings.

Go Sabres!!!

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.