GDT: 10/24/19 Sabres @ Rangers, 7pm ET, MSG and WGR550

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You know what I mean yet you continue to discuss it.  

Winning by one goal, wining by ten goals, both give you the same result in the standings.  A win in regulation in 2 points.  Losing by one goal In regulation, or by ten goals is still zero points in the standings   

So goal differential is important but to worry about leading the league in such a stat seems premature after 11 games.  

I’d say it’s about dissecting the goal differential to see what it might mean for the future while at the same time not allowing how much they win by to affect my ability to enjoy wins in the moment. 

7-6 OT Drury would be much the worse for as 7-1 EN Drury. Future implications be damned. 

But caring in the macro makes sense. But it’s not required reading. 

Edited by Thorny
Don’t ask me how there are 7 goals in an empty net situation
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Whatever. 

They outplayed the Rangers for most of the game. Bounces weren’t going their way. They were being a little too cute and the rebounds were there but not the clean up.

They had a couple of bad shifts and got penalized on each one. 

I didn’t see anything other than a few breakdowns being punished where the Rangers were getting lucky to not be bleeding goals. 82 game season go next. 

No. 

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is not far off.  They weren’t outplayed by much tonight.  Just had a bit of an off night.  Goals are fickle.

They were outplayed 10x worse in the 2nd/3rd of the Kings game.

This is much more accurate IMHO.  

How we feel about this game might vary hugely depending on what our record was heading in. Imagine if this was game 1 this year. 

They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt though, to me. So I felt like I was watching a lot of the players all playing a pretty poor game at the same time, rather than a pretty poor collection of talent. 

For whatever reason I feel no less certain we are a pretty good team than before the game started, and that’s something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bad game but I'm not going to get too worried too fast, just one game. I think maybe a few guys got their heads full of their own press and forgot you need to work every night to win in this league. Dahlin played like a 19 year old. Made a few plays but was also a trainwreck at times. Skinner off his game and he needs to focus more on his hockey and less on his whining. Team was sloppy and made some big gaffs from Eichel on down. Lundquist was much better than Hutton. Overall, a game to forget.

If the coaches get them back to disciplined basics and we beat Detroit it'll be easily moved on from. If we do this again next game there might be a little cause for worry. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bad game but I'm not going to get too worried too fast, just one game. I think maybe a few guys got their heads full of their own press and forgot you need to work every night to win in this league. Dahlin played like a 19 year old. Made a few plays but was also a trainwreck at times. Skinner off his game and he needs to focus more on his hockey and less on his whining. Team was sloppy and made some big gaffs from Eichel on down. Lundquist was much better than Hutton. Overall, a game to forget.

If the coaches get them back to disciplined basics and we beat Detroit it'll be easily moved on from. If we do this again next game there might be a little cause for worry. 

Yeah I’m not sure Skinny has that reputation but it’ll happen soon if he continues to laugh at the refs and shake his head after every penalty call against him. Especially when they are obvious infractions. I don’t like that part of his game.

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Give the Rangers some credit. They took it to the Sabres.

6 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah I’m not sure Skinny has that reputation but it’ll happen soon if he continues to laugh at the refs and shake his head after every penalty call against him. Especially when they are obvious infractions. I don’t like that part of his game.

I'm in the local market. so I have no clip, but I would guarantee that Skinner never high sticked him and that was a total acting job (good on that guy).

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Give the Rangers some credit. They took it to the Sabres.

Then there's that.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm in the local market. so I have no clip, but I would guarantee that Skinner never high sticked him and that was a total acting job (good on that guy).

Then there's that.

Skinner’s stick hit him in the face and visor.  Almost took his helmet off.  I don’t think it was intentional though.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I am officially concerned about Dahlin’s abilities in his own zone.  He totally sucked tonight.  There have been several games like that this year.  Sorry.  Kill the messenger.

Yes, he was bad tonight. Obvious is obvious.

I’m not worried at all about a 19 year old (all season long) 2nd year in the NHL kid who will continue to develop and get better (and have peaks and valleys) over the next several years.
Looking at the long game (as one should with young players), this game or even this season, is just a snapshot in time and not the definitive end all be all on this 19 year old.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Skinner’s stick hit him in the face and visor.  Almost took his helmet off.  I don’t think it was intentional though.

Intentional doesn't matter. If he hit him, he hit him. 

I'm glad there is hockey tommorrow.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good time to play the enforcers.  Oh wait, no one does that anymore. 

There are no enforcers to play.

What a crap game.  

Holy cow did Dahlin have a rough night....again.  But I feel bad singling him out.  So much suck to point a finger at in this one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

OK, here's 1 for you 'fancy stats" guys.  The Sabres are 8-1-1 in games Sobotka DOESN'T score and 0-1-0 in games he does.

Not reading anything into it, but just sayin'...

And here's one for the non fancy stat guys....Sobotka sucks and we will be better when he's gone, which should have happened a long time ago.

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’d say it’s about dissecting the goal differential to see what it might mean for the future while at the same time not allowing how much they win by to affect my ability to enjoy wins in the moment. 

7-6 OT Drury would be much the worse for as 7-1 EN Drury. Future implications be damned. 

But caring in the macro makes sense. But it’s not required reading. 

In all seriousness, why? You're a fan correct?, if you think that what they're doing is unsustainable-fine. But, why do the numbers impact your enjoyment. Remember, the numbers aren't 100% predictive, not by a long shot, as a matter of fact, the correlations are nowhere near that level. So, at the end of the day you have wins/losses that teams get that don't match the model. The world is way more random and predicting is really difficult. At the end of the day, who wins and loses will be impacted by bounces, officiating and numerous other random events.

9 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Really?  They were HORRIBLE.  They lost every battle.  Eichel played like he barely cared.  Hutton seemed to be in a fugue state. 

They had more shots and shot attempts and had several point blank chances that they typicly score on. The ice also looked kinda crappy because the puck was bouncing a lot but the Rangers dealt with it a lot better than we did.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Curt said:

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Intentional doesn't matter. If he hit him, he hit him. 

I'm glad there is hockey tommorrow.

The part I don't like about the call and why Skinner was upset was that Skinner was going to the net looking for a deflection.  Zibanejad lifts Skinners stick which then clips his own visor.  I get players are supposed to be in control of their stick but when someone else hits your stick I think all bets are off.  There are two refs on the ice now and they still miss the obvious calls right in front of them and then call the reaction penalties where they don't even see what really happened.  I would have been upset too if I was Skinner. Dumb call.

Rasmus Dahlin was the worst I have ever seen and that goes back to SHL games. 

Jack Eichel made one of the dumbest plays I have seen. No look pass to the other team to set up a 2-1 down 4-2 what a ***** moron. 

Sobotka scored so props to him for chipping in. 

Sheary was decent last night but overall not effective. 

Jokiharju and Scandella were probably our best defenders.

Risto was meh. 

Hutton was meh. 

No urgency, lazy plays, sloppy plays, no net crashing. Just overall I completely trash performance. I am never starting a GDT again. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

The part I don't like about the call and why Skinner was upset was that Skinner was going to the net looking for a deflection.  Zibanejad lifts Skinners stick which then clips his own visor.  I get players are supposed to be in control of their stick but when someone else hits your stick I think all bets are off.  There are two refs on the ice now and they still miss the obvious calls right in front of them and then call the reaction penalties where they don't even see what really happened.  I would have been upset too if I was Skinner. Dumb call.

And hadn't they just called a non-existent trip on Skinner a few minutes prior?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.