Jimmy Vesey's play to date

LGR4GM

I seem to remember the internal competition mantra from the preseason. I’m not sure if any of that is being applied or if it was a feel good story to make us believe this team operated like every other team in the league. Jimmy Vesey to me seems like every other average to below average fringe player. Its hindsight but I’m not thrilled with what he brings. Change my mind Jimmy.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So he can float there too waiting to cash in on someone elses work? I wish they had never traded for him. 

I agree. But you can criticise his linemates for the same stuff. They're not getting anything done either. The lack of NHL players in general is a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I seem to remember the internal competition mantra from the preseason. I’m not sure if any of that is being applied or if it was a feel good story to make us believe this team operated like every other team in the league. Jimmy Vesey to me seems like every other average to below average fringe player. Its hindsight but I’m not thrilled with what he brings. Change my mind Jimmy.

Internal competition to me implies that lack of success means losing your spot to the next guy.

Have seen no evidence yet that is the case here.

54 minutes ago, Curt said:

We need two threads purely about Vesey?

20 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Eventually I think one of the mods will merge the new one into this one.  It may take some time, as being a mod here is not a full time gig.

I need to pay closer attention.  The new Vesey thread had been merged about an hour ago. Watching this site is not my full time gig.

Sorry about that mix up.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I agree. But you can criticise his linemates for the same stuff. They're not getting anything done either. The lack of NHL players in general is a problem.

What player, other than Lazar who is a tweener, that dressed last night isn't an NHLer?

The issue is, only 3 forwards dressed last night are true top 6 guys.  (And a cynic would say that's also how many top 9 dressed as well.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What player, other than Lazar who is a tweener, that dressed last night isn't an NHLer?

The issue is, only 3 forwards dressed last night are true top 6 guys.  (And a cynic would say that's also how many top 9 dressed as well.)

Vesey, Rodrigues, and Mittelstadt could all be in the A right now. Even Olofsson is questionable given his lack of 5 v 5 production and how much the PP has cooled off.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Vesey, Rodrigues, and Mittelstadt could all be in the A right now. Even Olofsson is questionable given his lack of 5 v 5 production and how much the PP has cooled off.

Well heck, had Montour not broken his hand in training camp Jokiharju WOULD be in Ra-cha-cha right now.  Doesn't make him an AHLer.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Well heck, had Montour not broken his hand in training camp Jokiharju WOULD be in Ra-cha-cha right now.  Doesn't make him an AHLer.

It kinda does. Luckily for him, and us, it looks like he's actually a real hockey player, and not just masquerading as one.

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Third round picks in the NHL are worth slightly more than my dingleberrys

Cap space, however...

- - - 

Vesey has been bad. Not invisible, just bad. More concerning is what he was brought in to do. Botterill was counting on him to provide depth scoring? Come on, Botts. 

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, inkman said:

Isn't Vesey's lack of scoring directly tied to Mittlestadt?  Jimmy isn't going to create much on his own. He needs a set up man, has Casey done a good job of that? 

Or ... if Casey had a real finisher he would be contributing more.   Vessey does not seem to keep up with NHL speed.     

Wasn’t Vessey a garbage collector goal scorer?   Picked up loose pucks and such?    He cannot finish or shoot like a top 6 goal scorer, maybe not even a top 9.  The Rangers traded his 15 goals per season for not much.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

Isn't Vesey's lack of scoring directly tied to Mittlestadt?  Jimmy isn't going to create much on his own. He needs a set up man, has Casey done a good job of that? 

This touches on a key point: not everyone can play with Jack Eichel. As much a Botterill’s strategy of Eichel needing to Be Crosby has holes in it’s conception, even if we did slap an 87 on his back he can’t play on every line. 

Too few impact players. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Or ... if Casey had a real finisher he would be contributing more.   Vessey does not seem to keep up with NHL speed.     

Wasn’t Vessey a garbage collector goal scorer?   Picked up loose pucks and such?    He cannot finish or shoot like a top 6 goal scorer, maybe not even a top 9.  The Rangers traded his 15 goals per season for not much.  

Scoring garbage goals is still a goal scoring skill.  It requires a willingness to go hard to the net, strength and proper timing.  Also requires someone to create danger/chaos around the net that they can take advantage of.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.