Jimmy Vesey's play to date

LGR4GM

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk if he is. 

He didn't beat out Rodrigues, Tage was not adequate last season, Lazar is a giant?? 

I'm not a stats/metrics guy, but eye test shows me Vesey is OK, not good, not awful. As soon as anyone else can push him out, I'll take it. 

At 8-1-1 it's really really hard to want to make any change yet 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He didn't beat out Rodrigues, Tage was not adequate last season, Lazar is a giant?? 

I'm not a stats/metrics guy, but eye test shows me Vesey is OK, not good, not awful. As soon as anyone else can push him out, I'll take it. 

At 8-1-1 it's really really hard to want to make any change yet 

No I am with you on that, but I think we should consider that he can be upgraded. Maybe Tage will be ready this season. 

I think anytime your bottom six is largely invisible except when they're making plays it’s a good thing. That’s where Vesey is right now. He’s not making the glaring mistakes he was in the first five and when he isn’t creating he’s not noticed at all. He’ll still get close to his twenty goals but I wouldn’t expect anyone to remember them. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I am with you on that, but I think we should consider that he can be upgraded. Maybe Tage will be ready this season. 

Sobotka and Vesey certainly don't scream cup contender to me, I'm just as shocked as everyone that were owning the season with them in a top 9 role. 

And Tage won't be ready, he was slumming my neighborhood last night... Slacker 

(please see 19-20) lineup thread for the joke ??

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Hot take of the day: if you take away the power play, Jimmy Vesey has been a more effective player than Victor Olofsson this year.

Show me why I’m wrong.

Actually I totally agree with this. I have been a little concerned over Olofsson 5 on 5 but with things going well didn't want to rain on parades and all that. I get the distribution of Skinner on line 2 so that we are not a one line team, but the top line right now is not as good as last year even with Eichel at peak performance. Even on the PP, Olofsson is a little predictable and at times unsure of himself. I think he can still grow into a top role, but he is not all that just yet.

Vesey on the other hand has performed his defense first role very well and does all the little things well. Covers for Mitts  lapses and gives that line balance.  

Tage might be the player next year (later this year?) but not unless his game develops a lot imo. If Krueger wants a defense first guy on every line that's not going to be Tage unless his game has changed. Larsson and Zemgus are kind of a combo, but I wouldn't be surprised if Krueger tried Zemgus on that line and somebody else on the 4th if Vesey was out for any length of time.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Even on the PP, Olofsson is a little predictable and at times unsure of himself. I think he can still grow into a top role, but he is not all that just yet.

Well he looked good on the feed to Reinhart tonight.  He could have taken the shot, and it likely would have been blocked.  Instead he fed Reino at the goalmouth.

Olofsson has been improving markedly game-to-game, particularly with his puck handling/puck management.  Earlier this year he was easy to knock off the puck; he's getting progressively more tenacious.  I think he'll be "there" by Christmas.  And really, would the Johansson line be any threat attall with Olofsson there instead of Skins?  I don't think so.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Well he looked good on the feed to Reinhart tonight.  He could have taken the shot, and it likely would have been blocked.  Instead he fed Reino at the goalmouth.

I took note of that very same play. Yes, it was very nice to see the quick pass rather than the shot. Very good to see. 

18 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Olofsson has been improving markedly game-to-game, particularly with his puck handling/puck management.  Earlier this year he was easy to knock off the puck; he's getting progressively more tenacious.  I think he'll be "there" by Christmas.  And really, would the Johansson line be any threat attall with Olofsson there instead of Skins?  I don't think so.

Last year it took him time to learn to create space for himself on the ice during 5 v 5 play in Rochester, I think it will be a similar situation this season in the NHL.  

If VO was to move off the top line, putting him with Sheary and Mitts would be the best place for him. Mitts is a good passer and that line does not see the same level of competition 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My best best argument in support of Vesey's play:

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Jimmy come back soon!  Rodrigues is awful.  He blew several very good opportunities and that line has lost any mojo they had.  They were by far the worst line last night and Rodrigues was the main reason as far as I could tell.  There's no hope of that line winning a game or two for us, as it has already this season, with E-Rod in there.

I think Vesey does things that don't show up on the stat sheet and that line is visibly better offensively and defensively with him in there.  If Vesey is in there instead of E-Rod last night, there's a much better chance one of those good opportunities results in a goal.   Plus, maybe they're not stuck in their own end as much.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

My best best argument in support of Vesey's play:

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Jimmy come back soon!  Rodrigues is awful.  He blew several very good opportunities and that line has lost any mojo they had.  They were by far the worst line last night and Rodrigues was the main reason as far as I could tell.  There's no hope of that line winning a game or two for us, as it has already this season, with E-Rod in there.

I think Vesey does things that don't show up on the stat sheet and that line is visibly better offensively and defensively with him in there.  If Vesey is in there instead of E-Rod last night, there's a much better chance one of those good opportunities results in a goal.   Plus, maybe they're not stuck in their own end as much.

Rodrigues is not making anyone wish he'd stick around. At least Vesey shows some flashes.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rodrigues is not making anyone wish he'd stick around. At least Vesey shows some flashes.

Which is strange as he was quite the darling among fans last season and his fancy stats bore that out.  He seems to be the only player markedly worse under Ra'Kruuuuuuuuuuuu.  

He's been ok, fine defensively somewhat surprisingly, but the bar is too low if this version of him is what we are looking for in our middle 6 wingers. He's pacing for 15 points. 

Still time for him to pick it up, but no interest in re-signing him as things currently stand. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a question on here but couldn't respond. I am not sure what it says about the Sabres strategy and Vesey. He looks bad for the eye test and his advanced stats are bad too. Can't help but wonder if a guy who didn't want to come to Buffalo, really doesn't want to be in Buffalo. His play is lacking any urgency and is meh. He's of course only a minor problem on a problem full team. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I saw a question on here but couldn't respond. I am not sure what it says about the Sabres strategy and Vesey. He looks bad for the eye test and his advanced stats are bad too. Can't help but wonder if a guy who didn't want to come to Buffalo, really doesn't want to be in Buffalo. His play is lacking any urgency and is meh. He's of course only a minor problem on a problem full team. 

I think ice time is part of it. He was getting a lot more in NY which means he was probably playing with better players. He's on the 4th line here and his numbers seem to reflect that.

If they want to get him going they might need to put him on the second line or something.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think ice time is part of it. He was getting a lot more in NY which means he was probably playing with better players. He's on the 4th line here and his numbers seem to reflect that.

If they want to get him going they might need to put him on the second line or something.

So he can float there too waiting to cash in on someone elses work? I wish they had never traded for him. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.