Jimmy Vesey's play to date

LGR4GM

He sucked first 5 games.  Was slow, always lost the puck, never in position to do anything, shot lame pucks wide on his few opportunities. 

Then he started to get in gear during west coast trip, and right now is looking good, often in position, making great passes, actually hitting the net.  I think most of it was mental, and he's starting to believe in Krueger now and change the pace that he plays at.

As long as the latter keeps up, he's a great 3LW for the team.

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 2

Watching Vesey live in person and on TV, I come away with ... well, he has some bright spots, and it may take him some time to gel and build chemistry with someone. Looking at a bigger sample size in a month would be wise. Too early for me personally to make all encompassing, generalizing, definitive decisions on him. 

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

JBot went after him for his 5v5 goal scoring......he has 0g. Those flashes of light must be at the end of the tunnel.

Not for lack of chances. He was also known as a defensive liability. He hasn't been that either.

Vesey will eventually start scoring.  Scorers tend to be a little streaky.  Go look at Skinner last season for your proof.

Vesey is finding other ways to contribute.  He is forechecking hard and playing extremely well on the PK and defensively.  Compare his attitude and effort to Sobotka's last year.  

It's just a matter of time until he starts scoring.  I thought he almost had one on that tight angle shot last night.  Maybe a fluke goal will get him going.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Vesey will eventually start scoring.  Scorers tend to be a little streaky.  Go look at Skinner last season for your proof.

Vesey is finding other ways to contribute.  He is forechecking hard and playing extremely well on the PK and defensively.  Compare his attitude and effort to Sobotka's last year.  

It's just a matter of time until he starts scoring.  I thought he almost had one on that titght angle shot last night.  Maybe a fluke goal will get him going.  

I agree but are we looking at another Stafford rather than Skinner?

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I agree but are we looking at another Stafford rather than Skinner?

Yes, which is fine.  We are looking for him to add depth scoring from the "3rd" line and to kill penalties.  VO is the next Skinner as he learns to play below the dots 5 on 5.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Was happy with his effort and game since they went on the 3 game road trip.

He's been quite solid in his own end and seems to be getting better at the PK.  And he definitely has Krueger's trust as he's the guy that subs for Olofsson when protecting a lead late.

He also seems to be doing a good job winning board battles and moving the puck to his linemates.  That behind the net pass to nobody WILL connect at some point now that his linemates know he can do that.  Pretty sure he's normally in the high teens for goals historically and wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up there especially if the chemistry he finally seems to have with Mittelstadt and Sheary holds.

So far, it looks like he'll have been worth the 3rd rounder.  (Next year's, not the one from 4 years ago. ? ). And it will be interesting to see whether Botterill tries to re-sign him and if he does, if Vesey does re-up.  His value / price tag will be pretty well established by the time it comes to work on a deal.  (He is a 3rd liner that at least at present is far better in his own end than had been advertised.)

• Like (+1) 1

I too have been reasonably happy with Vesey.  He was ineffective along with Mitts until Sheary returned from injury, but since then has pulled his weight on that line as it has raised its game considerably.

He's not scoring yet, but as @Taro T noted, he's winning board battles and being quite defensively responsible -- probably best on his line in those categories.  I wouldn't be surprised if RK, in keeping with his balanced offense/defense line construction philosophy, has instructed Vesey to focus on defensive responsibilities and free up Mitts and Sheary a bit on O. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I too have been reasonably happy with Vesey.  He was ineffective along with Mitts until Sheary returned from injury, but since then has pulled his weight on that line as it has raised its game considerably.

He's not scoring yet, but as @Taro T noted, he's winning board battles and being quite defensively responsible -- probably best on his line in those categories.  I wouldn't be surprised if RK, in keeping with his balanced offense/defense line construction philosophy, has instructed Vesey to focus on defensive responsibilities and free up Mitts and Sheary a bit on O. 

A very interesting thought.  Someone has to do the dirty work.  Although I'd suggest knowing what a positive person RK is that he likely said I love the work you are doing down low and if you keep up that work, everything will fall into place.  

Disappointed with his production and his first five games. Liked his defence and his second five games.

Looks nothing like the player I was told to expect. His role has been more Curtis Brown (minus the effort) than Donald Audette.

it’s interesting to note that he started one of his Ranger years pointless in his first 8.

• Like (+1) 2

I look at it like this, who's minutes is he taking from last year's roster?  The best I can come up with is Tage Thompson.  To this point in the season, he's making better use of those minutes than Tage. That isn't saying much since Thompson was clearly in over his head last season and a net negative. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Disappointed with his production and his first five games. Liked his defence and his second five games.

Looks nothing like the player I was told to expect. His role has been more Curtis Brown (minus the effort) than Donald Audette.

it’s interesting to note that he started one of his Ranger years pointless in his first 8.

Well played Sabre history analogy....

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

in other words...be Sobotka?

I thought he played very slow and tentative for awhile.  He has started to see some life on the West Coast trip but overall i am not yet impressed with him at all.  I am surprised by two things. 

First surprise is I thought he got most of his goals by hanging around the net but i never see him there and he does not shot from the outer perimeter. 

His defensive play has been decent, which is the second surprise.

Unless he can score 14 -18 goals as a 3rd line winger, I do not see him fitting on a Stanley Cup team - which is our goal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.