The Krueger Effect

WildCard

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Ryan O’Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, and the 31st pick in the draft.

Reasonable

Rental with no guarantees of signing

It was confirmed by Murray he had no conversations with ROR until after the deal

Cant factor in hindsight

Edited by triumph_communes

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Rental with no guarantees of signing

It was confirmed by Murray he had no conversations with ROR until after the deal

Cant factor in hindsight

Oh, I suppose it’s possible.  I don’t buy it though.  I feel like they had a good idea of what it would take to sign ROR before making the trade.

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Plus the Cal Oreilly saga?

They had to sign Cal to appease ROR.  Is that what you are implying?

Again, it’s possible.  Or perhaps GMTM just really liked the O’Reillys’ work ethic and thought Cal would be a good addition to the organization.

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you are trying to say something, you are going to have to just come out and say it.  I’m not getting it from your 5 word snippets.

Overpaying for rental ROR impressive.  They could have done that for no assets.  Here’s a blast from the past of reporters mocking ROR for asking for 6.5:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/06/17/ryan-oreilly-agent-now-preparing-arbitration-case-didnt-think-wed-attend/18548/

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Overpaying for rental ROR impressive.  They could have done that for no assets.  Here’s a blast from the past of reporters mocking ROR for asking for 6.5:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/06/17/ryan-oreilly-agent-now-preparing-arbitration-case-didnt-think-wed-attend/18548/

Ok, but what were you talking about with Cal and agent Dad?  What is the relevance to whether or not to ROR Trade was an overpayment?

4 hours ago, Curt said:

Ryan O’Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, and the 31st pick in the draft.

Reasonable

Not my debate here, but happy to offer my opinion on this topic.   While to O'Reilly trade proved the ROR deserved the contract he signed, it was still not a good trade for the Sabres.   The inherent value of a trade-able asset who is about to become a UFA is to provide immediate help to a team vying for a playoff run.   No team up to that point, nor since then, ranking in the bottom 5 of the league (let alone an all-time tank bad) has traded a first round pick or the equivalent for a UFA.  The Sabres gave up three times this. The Sabres then had to over-pay to get ROR to sign the extension.  They could have easily waited through the 2015 season and made the same offer and kept all those assets.   Zadorov & Compher have become valuable assets for COL, and while the Av's traded the 31st overall, the 2015 was stocked with amazing talent that could have yielded many names bantered about in many other posts.   This unit, with Kane, Lehner, ROR and Jack over-achieved in 2015, dropping their selection in 2016 to #8.  Had they allowed an organic growth to occur ,the 2016 draft might have resulted Matthews instead of Nylander.  Worst case, Matthew Tkachuk.   Now could ROR have been traded at the deadline in 2015 and signed an extension with another team?  Maybe.   Only a few times had cap space to make that offer, so it was limited.   Hindsight is over course 20/20, but the fact no GM  of a last place team would ever consider trading 3 solid assets to then overpay for an extension is foresight.  Similarly we were told on how TM was a draft Svengali, and he should have known how strong the 2015 draft was, so to trade not one, but three picks in the top 31 overall is  just unforgivable. 

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, Randall Flagg said:

It could happen. We all hate GMTM, but even he was capable of adding a 2C for a reasonable cost. It happens, we just have to be the ones there and ready when one shakes loose, or have to be the ones to use our offer to convince a team they can shake him loose, or we have to be the ones to identify a soon-to-be 2C correctly

I'd say, "must" happen. It's the biggest glaring hole on this roster and I think a lot falls into place with that move. We are short on top 6 talent, we are thin at C, and it's of paramount importance that Cozens is brought along with proper insulation. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, PASabreFan said:

I can't get there with you this time. Unlike fans, Botterill can't be fooled by a few games. This team went 4-4-1 in the homestand. Not nearly enough. I doubt the GM is up for sacrificing anything of the future for this team.

It's not about sacrificing the future. It's about creating one. Botterill must be on the lookout for adding key pieces, not rentals but players that have the potential to be here for the long haul. 

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

His line stubborness needs to end with how this season has gone.  The Skinner-Eichel line was the only thing that wasn't a problem last season.  And now you can plug in Oloffson at RW and let Reinhart help elsewhere.

Except Ollie and Skinner are both LW.

I feel Skinner held Jack back because of his shoot mentality.  

Skinner and Reinhart seem to be a better pairing on wings.  I'd even put Lazar to center this line with his physical play could open up space for Reinhart and Skinner.

I think Olofsson, Eichel and Vesey would have been a good first line. Vesey adds a bigger body along boards and more responsible in own end then Reinhart.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I was going to post this and was listening at the time. I was like....FINALLY!!!!!! It was so perfect and really screamed the tone of.....you guys still basically suck so stop dancing around this ridiculous point of improvement. I was so happy when Howard said the not making the playoffs part.....relief.

28 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Skinner and Reinhart seem to be a better pairing on wings.  I'd even put Lazar to center this line with his physical play could open up space for Reinhart and Skinner.

I think Olofsson, Eichel and Vesey would have been a good first line. Vesey adds a bigger body along boards and more responsible in own end then Reinhart.

Try something different for crying out loud. Most coaches will shuffle things up when they are not going well. I wish someone would ask Ralph where we would be in the playoff race if we showed up to beat Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit et al. I'll tell you, right in the thick of things. Where the hell is the desperation needed by a coach and team.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I was going to post this and was listening at the time. I was like....FINALLY!!!!!! It was so perfect and really screamed the tone of.....you guys still basically suck so stop dancing around this ridiculous point of improvement. I was so happy when Howard said the not making the playoffs part.....relief.

Finally, someone points out that the emperor is not wearing any clothes.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Say what now?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.