GDT: 10/22/19 Sharks at Buffalo, 7pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

They played h&h with a team expected to be in the mix for the a Stanley Cup and took 4 points and only let that team come away with 1.  It was a very good team effort both games.  Yes, there were tough moments, but nobody is going to dominate for 60 minutes against good teams that are on their game.  (And since Marleau came back, these guys are on their game.)

And now, courtesy of being 5 points ahead of where they need to be at the 10 game mark, should they get a mere 80 points in their next 72, they're at 97 which would almost always get a team in the dance.  (Basically a smidge over 11 points every 10 games which is typically a DeLuca 0.500.).  Granted, that's not an absolute given they'll do that, but there's a REALLY good chance (should they stay reasonably healthy) they will.)

And how expensive must Sabres - Bolts in November be now on the 2ndary market?  Those lucky Swedes that have tix to those 2 games are going to get to see 2 highly relevant teams (at least by the time the games are played, hopefully far longer than that).

Krueger Kool-aid - yum.

And some of us lucky Yanks?  I wonder if i could sell the ticket and my authentic 50th sweater to cover the cost of the trip to Sweden.  Then again.. why would I be going?

Sabres 50th weren't even listed on shop.nhl.com yesterday.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I get the feeling that in games where an opponent is really shifty we're going to see less of the LOG line. They're perfectly useful against most teams, but San Jose was giving them fits with their speed and stick work. A game like that means the more talented lines get most of the work even if they aren't typically defensive shutdown lines. Sometimes you just need the talent to turn the tables quickly on an aggressive opponent.

This is why there's no 4th line.  ?

35 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I love seeing games at MSG, I've also had the pleasure of playing a game there. I would not describe it as a hell hole. 

It's been a LONG time since I was there.  Almost 20 years.  It was a hellhole.  Maybe it's different now?  But I find it difficult to believe that one could drop anything on top of Penn Station and have it not be a hellhole.

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

And some of us lucky Yanks?  I wonder if i could sell the ticket and my authentic 50th sweater to cover the cost of the trip to Sweden. [/b] Then again.. why would I be going?

Sabres 50th weren't even listed on shop.nhl.com yesterday.

This is why there's no 4th line.  ?

The 2nd bolded is why the group of the 1st bolded wasn't included. ?

Yes, you get to see 2 relevant teams, but you could've bought a ticket for last night's game as well and done the same.  It's good to see that Modo and his countrymen SHOULD get 2 good games in their back yard and have reasons to go to the games from the Sabres side at least in addition to merely seeing fellow countrymen Dahlin, Johansson, Olofsson, and Ullmark (Jokiharju, too, right?) in person and just the novelty of it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Another win is a good thing... Sharks brought it and Sabres responded.  Shark goals were tough, double triple deflection and Girgenson losing sight of Carlson... still Sabres hung in there and controlled OT.  Sabres need another physical forward with some skill but team is playing as a team.  Cozens and TT next  year should be able to fill in those gaps.  Still hope Sabres can find a trade partner for a 2C with all the extra D.

Johansson doesn't fit the bill? He's not good enough? 

• Like (+1) 1

Idk what you guys are talking about, those tickets in Stockholm were expensive af. I don't think I've ever paid more for a ticket to anything in my life (minus airplane tickets) but it'll be worth it, and as I've always said, experiences over things, all day, every day. 

As for the Sabres, this experience is awesome and it was not fully expected. I did expect some improvement, but this is something else. Keep it up boys, I want buffalo to feel like how it did when I was a kid and before cynicism took over. Parties in the plaza, smiles, hope! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Idk what you guys are talking about, those tickets in Stockholm were expensive af. I don't think I've ever paid more for a ticket to anything in my life (minus airplane tickets) but it'll be worth it, and as I've always said, experiences over things, all day, every day. 

As for the Sabres, this experience is awesome and it was not fully expected. I did expect some improvement, but this is something else. Keep it up boys, I want buffalo to feel like how it did when I was a kid and before cynicism took over. Parties in the plaza, smiles, hope! 

How much were they?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Couple other game notes:

- Mitts’ line looks like it has moved ahead of Larsson’s line in the rotation.

- What a great play by Mitts in the OT to hustle back on D, intercept the SJ pass and then find Risto to set up the GWG.

- I know some were criticizing VO upthread but I thought he had a nice bounce back game, with good strength on the puck and better decisions..

- At one point in the 2nd (I think), Risto tried to hit Marleau and Marleau braced himself and sent Risto the other way.

- Scandella is a large dude. 

- The Sabres are on pace for 65 wins. 

Maybe Casey has been reading Sabrespace and how we almost unanimously downgraded his line to FL#4 and that provided the proper motivation.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pretty impressed with how the PP has adjusted to teams taking away Oloffsson

As a 2c we can do better

This really isn't a reason, there are more troubling spots to upgrade. Besides that, we "could" be better at every position. Is Crosby better than Jack? Is Price better than Hutton? Is Burns better than Risto? Is Ovie better than Skinner?

I'd be much more inclined to make a change elsewhere than the 2C. However, in your defense, that 2c upgrade would push Johansson to take maybe either Vlad's or Vesey's spot in which case it would be an upgrade that I would consider. But if your intention is to replace Johansson by getting a better 2C then I don't see (in other words trading him+ for another 2C) it worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Johansson doesn't fit the bill? He's not good enough? 

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pretty impressed with how the PP has adjusted to teams taking away Oloffsson

As a 2c we can do better

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm glad you put that last quote in their WC, because I think MoJo is a temporary fix until Mitts is ready and if you've watched Casey's last few games he's slowly but surely starting to look like our future 2C. He's leading his line right now and they are looking more dangerous each and every game. Unlike d4rksabre, I don't think the GLO line was demoted per se but Casey's line was promoted with their recent play.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

This really isn't a reason, there are more troubling spots to upgrade. Besides that, we "could" be better at every position. Is Crosby better than Jack? Is Price better than Hutton? Is Burns better than Risto? Is Ovie better than Skinner?

I'd be much more inclined to make a change elsewhere than the 2C. However, in your defense, that 2c upgrade would push Johansson to take maybe either Vlad's or Vesey's spot in which case it would be an upgrade that I would consider. But if your intention is to replace Johansson by getting a better 2C then I don't see (in other words trading him+ for another 2C) it worth it. 

I mean you can't just make my argument into a hyperbole to refute it lol

Johanssen is a reasonable spot to upgrade at 2C because a) he can play wing and usually does and b) 2C is a extremely valuable position to your team

9 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'm glad you put that last quote in their WC, because I think MoJo is a temporary fix until Mitts is ready and if you've watched Casey's last few games he's slowly but surely starting to look like our future 2C. He's leading his line right now and they are looking more dangerous each and every game. Unlike d4rksabre, I don't think the GLO line was demoted per se but Casey's line was promoted with their recent play.

I think this is Botterill's plan as well. I think a lot of his moves are based around Mittelstadt and Cozens, as well as the Seattle expansion draft

Just now, WildCard said:

I mean you can't just make my argument into a hyperbole to refute it lol

Johanssen is a reasonable spot to upgrade at 2C because a) he can play wing and usually does and b) 2C is a extremely valuable position to your team

That's why I included the part "in your defense". But it's not hyperbole when it's the truth....there are better and easier positions to upgrade. I just don't see the urgency at that position.

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That's why I included the part "in your defense". But it's not hyperbole when it's the truth....there are better and easier positions to upgrade. I just don't see the urgency at that position.

Are there easier positions to upgrade? 

"Besides that, we "could" be better at every position. Is Crosby better than Jack? Is Price better than Hutton? Is Burns better than Risto? Is Ovie better than Skinner?"

All of those are much harder positions to upgrade than finding a 2C, or at the least a 2RW. I legitimately think a 2 RW is by far the best position to upgrade in terms of possibility and bang for your buck

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Are there easier positions to upgrade? 

"Besides that, we "could" be better at every position. Is Crosby better than Jack? Is Price better than Hutton? Is Burns better than Risto? Is Ovie better than Skinner?"

All of those are much harder positions to upgrade than finding a 2C, or at the least a 2RW. I legitimately think a 2 RW is by far the best position to upgrade in terms of possibility and bang for your buck

I wasn't even suggesting making any changes in those positions, just conveying that every position could be upgraded is all. And to a point I agree with where you're at as far as 2RW being an easier place to start. But how about Vesey's spot? Things are working currently and until there is adversity that clearly shows where a problem there is no real urgency. Sure, if something becomes available that upgrades you have to consider it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's great to see Mitts getting some love from the national NHL media, but I'll note that Marty had a better breakdown (and the MSG crew had a better camera angle) of the same play on the Sabres' post-game show last night. 

Was there anything he said that should be of note?? Missed most of the post game because of the World Series.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

That was a great hockey game.

I hope I look half as cool as Rick Dudley looks when I’m his age.

Eichel made a few mistakes, but he still made about 20 amazing plays in that game even without the scoring plays.   The skill with which he (and Dahlin) controls the puck is really something.

Reino and Skinner also played very well and created a ton of chances.

I don’t blame the fans for not selling out the building after this long in the desert, but I hope they start soon. The Sabres are finally putting out a product worth the price.

Say it loud:  Ra-Kruuuuuuuuuuu!!!

I think enough people have now noticed the ban on Ra Kru that you us owe an explanation, especially since you are flouting the ban. A weird situation. @That Aud Smell @inkman @Doohickie

Just now, jsb said:

Was there anything he said that should be of note?? Missed most of the post game because of the World Series.

The main point he made that the NHL Network guys missed was that Mitts recognized that SJ was changing, which would leave Risto open, sold SJ that he (Mitts) was just going to change as well, and then made a quick pass to Risto to spring him for the GWG.  It was a really good breakdown.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I think enough people have now noticed the ban on Ra Kru that you us owe an explanation, especially since you are flouting the ban. A weird situation. @That Aud Smell @inkman @Doohickie

Fight the power!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.