GDT: 10/22/19 Sharks at Buffalo, 7pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

53 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

My wife and I will be going to this barn burner.

Gonna try the new Chef’s on the go restaurant in Williamsville before we go.

I hope Chefs isn’t the highlight of the night.

3-2 Sabres

Larsson, Olofsson or Risto with a goal.

I've never been to Chef's but I know where their sauce is bottled. If the in restaurant experience is anything like the jar stuff, yikes.  

7 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Another Hockey night in Buffalo..

Solid work JSB getting this thing started. 

Lets keep the home streak going. 

Interesting comment  ‘“We got all four lines that have been very stable in terms of combinations,” Vesey said. “We stayed patient and we’re finally getting rewarded.”‘  

I hadn't thought much about it before I saw this but I haven't seen a lot of switching up during games most other coaches do and a reflection on I believe a RK vs. PH difference. 

I am digging the RK viva la difference.

This is what RK said he was going to do before the season started. He likes to leave lines together so that guys learn each other's habits and get comfortable with knowing where they are going to be on the ice. Less chemistry and more habit.

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Won't see many while Krueger is HC.

11 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Interesting comment  ‘“We got all four lines that have been very stable in terms of combinations,” Vesey said. “We stayed patient and we’re finally getting rewarded.”‘  

I hadn't thought much about it before I saw this but I haven't seen a lot of switching up during games most other coaches do and a reflection on I believe a RK vs. PH difference. 

Ralph, to this point in the season, seems like quite the revelation.  Being cerebral but not over thinking it.  That was Housley's downfall, too much thinking. Just let these guys get after it. Refreshing, isn't it?

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ralph, to this point in the season, seems like quite the revelation.  Being cerebral but not over thinking it.  That was Housley's downfall, too much thinking. Just let these guys get after it. Refreshing, isn't it?

VERY

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ralph has spoken a lot about understanding his side of it (coaching and underlying numbers/fundamentals) and then finding a good way to explain that to the players. Thus far it seems to be working. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

I've never been to Chef's but I know where their sauce is bottled. If the in restaurant experience is anything like the jar stuff, yikes.  

If you mean “Sauce” when you typed “experience”, the restaurant sauce is better. And No preservatives.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Let's hope the crowd brings the energy level that the team has been bringing.  No excuses for those in attendance these days.

Let's Go Buffalo.

Why wouldn't they?  They were very loud the 2 I was at (even though 1 only had about 15k in the barn), and they sounded loud on the TV the other 2.

As long as the Sabres give something to cheer for; the fans will back them.  We've waited a long time to have a team that consistently deserved cheers; the fans will hold up their end.

38 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Actually, during games he changes stuff up fairly often situationally up front.  Skinner usually takes the last Eichel line shift of the period and Okposo, Olofsson, and the 3rd scoring line tend to lose a lot of ice time with a lead in the 3rd.  Sobotka finds himself on the ice when a critical face off comes up. 

(The D pairings have been more consistent.)

But, to start the game and for the majority of each game, the lines & pairings have only been altered to account for Sheary's injury.  Which is an amazing level of consistency and apparently how he handled lines in his short stint in Edmonton.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Let's hope the crowd brings the energy level that the team has been bringing.  No excuses for those in attendance these days.

Let's Go Buffalo.

Since opening night, average attendance is under 16k, which has to be a little disappointing to the business folks. Although crowd noise and enthusiasm have been noticably better than previous years, opening night was the high water mark in that regard as well. We shall see how things unfold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

If you mean “Sauce” when you typed “experience”, the restaurant sauce is better. And No preservatives.

I practically grew up at Chef's. My mom used to work with Lou Billittier on the board of ECC.  We went there for family gatherings, for dinner before Sabres games or whenever we were downtown.  I always loved Spaghetti Parm.  

Their sauce is great if you like a meat flavored but sweet sauce.  If that isn't your thing, I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it.

I've been away from Buffalo for 30 years and while I knew it was a sweet sauce, my taste buds had forgotten how sweet when I went back a few years ago.  It took a few minutes to get acquainted with it again.  

So many great memories there.  I miss it.

As for tonight's game; this should be a real test of their character.  SJ wants revenge for losing to us in their building and wants to get their East Coast roadie off on the right foot.  

Sabres pull it out in OT. 4-3.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That was his reputation coming in, Duds.  Some people were concerned that if things didn't click Krueger would be hesitant to make changes, that it was up to the lines to work it out and that's that.

It seems like that is in fact the case, and the lines are working it out. 

It's all new and fresh right now though.  Will there come a time in the season when changing up the lines will be warranted?

Yeah, now that you mention that I do recall some threads, posts and trepidation sprinkled around the angst over the line combinations themselves.

Still when you have a young team and new combinations it makes sense to me anyways to let them work together to develop and establish a level you can work from. (Sabres Hockey?)

I suspect or rather hope when he feels they have that level across the lines and pairings then you can make adjustments to the model w/o upsetting the whole dynamic.

That I am hoping is playoff time ...    

Certainly right now it looks like Krueger is doing a far better job than Housley. I wasn't sad to see him go, but Housley was the coach when they had a 10 game winning streak. Tonight makes our 10th game. How do we do in the next 10? And the 10 after that.

I do think the way we've won most of our games this season looks more sustainable than the way we won most of those 10 games last year though (one of which I was present for). I've also like how we've bounced back from our 2 losses so far, although that LA game was far too many shots allowed despite the shutout win.

But It's a lot easier to teach guys about mistakes when they are winning than when they are losing. Something Krueger has already mentioned in one of the interviews I watched with him.

I'll be curious to see how he handles when we lose 2-3 games in a row. Does he tinker more then, or just let them work it out. What is 2-3 games becomes 5-6 games?

I think more than Krueger, I'm even more suprised/pleased at how well Johansson has worked out so far. He's producing and so is Skinner. Even Sobotka seems better this year (not that it's hard after last year) and Skinner is still producing despite being split from Jack and Sam.

And last 2 games Middlestat's line finally got going. I think that means Rodriguez is probably a healthy scratch for the foreseeable future, although I'd be curious to see him play with Mitts and Sheary over Vesey at least once or twice when that line cools off.

For now (much like last season) I'll enjoy the ride and hope it keeps going though.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Why wouldn't they?  They were very loud the 2 I was at (even though 1 only had about 15k in the barn), and they sounded loud on the TV the other 2.

As long as the Sabres give something to cheer for; the fans will back them.  We've waited a long time to have a team that consistently deserved cheers; the fans will hold up their end.

Actually, during games he changes stuff up fairly often situationally up front.  Skinner usually takes the last Eichel line shift of the period and Okposo, Olofsson, and the 3rd scoring line tend to lose a lot of ice time with a lead in the 3rd.  Sobotka finds himself on the ice when a critical face off comes up. 

(The D pairings have been more consistent.)

But, to start the game and for the majority of each game, the lines & pairings have only been altered to account for Sheary's injury.  Which is an amazing level of consistency and apparently how he handled lines in his short stint in Edmonton.

Good observations as always may i say to the "T". 

What I see as well.

I think the small amount of variation except situation-ally helps playing fast. 

Less thinking needed to adjust what you are asked to do.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

The sauce they serve in the restaurant is prepared on premises. The "Chef's" sauce that gets jarred elsewhere is sold at retail. In my experience, the two sauces have very little in common. The stuff you get on-site is, imo, excellent, but tastes vary. The stuff you buy in a grocery store is pretty bland.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The sauce they serve in the restaurant is prepared on premises. The "Chef's" sauce that gets jarred elsewhere is sold at retail. In my experience, the two sauces have very little in common. The stuff you get on-site is, imo, excellent, but tastes vary. The stuff you buy in a grocery store is pretty bland.

Yeah, the grocery store stuff is just a ton of tomato paste.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, the grocery store stuff is just a ton of tomato paste.

My sense is that a private label food manufacturer makes it, markets it, distributes it, etc., after having lightly consulted with Chef's as to what goes into their sauce and having secured a license to use the restaurant's name, etc.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

My sense is that a private label food manufacturer makes it, markets it, distributes it, etc., after having lightly consulted with Chef's as to what goes into their sauce and having secured a license to use the restaurant's name, etc.

This is correct.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.