OT Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Brawndo

I enjoyed ROS... I guess I'm a sucker for giving the fans what they want and the movie itself was non-stop action.  Yes there was a couple of eye-roll moments but overall IMO it was better than TLJ.  That said, I think Rogue One is the best SW movie since Empire and better than all three "sequels"   If they had given the keys to the place to Jon Favrue then we wouldn't be in this predicament. He's  a far better director and STORYTELLER than JJ and Rian or Kathleen. The guy made Ironman and created the MCU universe.  Which is why Mandalorian is so damn good, because it's his baby.  I love it and love where it's going. It gives you just enough to keep reminding you that you're in the same universe as Luke, Han and Lei without pandering. It's a western in the SW world.

• Like (+1) 2

Put it this way.  When ESB came out  ( for those of us who are old enough experience this) and we all found out Vader was Lukes father. We didn't have the internet and instant forum to express our confusion or hate of the turn of events.  I never once sat back and questioned why we were never given a back story who is wife  was etc....   we just took it for what it was and move on and enjoyed it.   I feel like people now (because of instant access to info) want an explanation for everything and mapped for them and can't suspend their reality  to just enjoy some fiction.  In the end that;'s all it is... a story about wizards with laser swords. ?

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, LouBrawls said:

can't suspend their reality  to just enjoy some fiction. 

It gets difficult for someone that spent the last 40 years reading books/comics and playing EVERY SW game ever made. That particular fan’s reality is completely different from the casual fan that eventually saw all the movies. Before Disney, SW was sooooo much more than just the movies. I was heartbroken to learn the EU was now in the trash can. That whole Force Unleashed set of games did a beautiful job painting the scene of how Vader inadvertently(or he knew damn well what he was doing and was trying to atone for his sins) gathered the rebels and spawned the rebellion. I spent MONTHS and YEARS in that reality. Now it isn’t real anymore. For me personally Star Wars is the trail of breadcrumbs that takes me back to the sweet little boy that grew up in the very large, very poor family. Somehow Dad scraped up enough money to take all of us to the New Hope when it was first out. The one and only time I went to a movie until I was a teen and could drive myself there. So I guess I’m saying it’s as much a fault of Disney as it is the fan if they get beaten over the head because of the decisions they’ve made. Actually, it’s all their fault if the movie sucks and I don’t like it. Star Wars is mine. Always has been. Always will be.

Edited by Ogre

Was 10 when A New Hope was released in ‘77.  Saw every new release in the theaters.  Got my son hooked on the franchise early.  No casual fan here.  However, It was a spaghetti western in ‘77.  They are still spaghetti westerns today.  LOL at the “why so serious”.  

These movies have been simple popcorn flicks from day 1, the equivalent of the Die Hard franchise. Or more appropriately, A Fistful of Dollars.  Yet noone decries plot holes and asymmetry there.

Relax and enjoy the ride, man.  *****’s fun if you let it. It’s fantasy for crying out loud.

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Weave said:

Was 10 when A New Hope was released in ‘77.  Saw every new release in the theaters.  Got my son hooked on the franchise early.  No casual fan here.  However, It was a spaghetti western in ‘77.  They are still spaghetti westerns today.  LOL at the “why so serious”.  

These movies have been simple popcorn flicks from day 1, the equivalent of the Die Hard franchise. Or more appropriately, A Fistful of Dollars.  Yet noone decries plot holes and asymmetry there.

Relax and enjoy the ride, man.  *****’s fun if you let it. It’s fantasy for crying out loud.

Die Hard!? Whatchewtalkinbout? I’ve never seen anyone spend countless hours and dollars replicating costumes of John McClane. It takes some special suspending of reality to build your own Darth Maul costume!? If I were to go full on nerd and build a costume it would be Darth Malgus all day long! I’m muscled, pale and bald with permanent resting mean face so I have half the look already ?

I’ll see the movie. I‘m not anti-Disney. The way that the old and new Star Wars was tied together in Battlefront 2 was great. I very much enjoyed being Kylo Ren invading Del Meeko’s mind. I loved running around on Jakku in the same wrecked star destroyer as Iden Versio that Rey is later in. It was great how they first get you thinking that Rey may be the daughter of Iden and Del. Very entertaining and compelling. I probably won’t love the movie but I have too strong of a notion how this was all suppose to shake out. And Disney could have left the EU intact. I think that’s where a lot of fan anger comes from. We didn’t follow our own wisdom and loved the extra stuff too much. The fear of loss lead to anger which lead to hate and now...the suffering.

I’m not trying to poop in anyone’s cornflakes. If you like the new stuff then cool. I just want people to understand why so many people don’t like it...as much...we’re SW fans so we’ll always like it....just not as much? 

Nothing personal. Now of y’all excuse me, I need to start a parts list for my Malgus costume. 

Edited by Ogre
Auto correct mind tricked me

On 12/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, StuckinFL said:

It's just a bad as the Phantom Menace but for totally different reasons. The film is just a pacing nightmare with plot holes galore that spends it's entire run reconning TLJ and even reconning itself. The only points that were worthy of praise were the score, Frick, and Adam Driver's performance. He killed it. 

Pretty much my take exactly.  It was insanely paced.  They tried to do too much in one film.  

For me, it was not a bad movie. But it was also not a great movie.

They clearly did not plan the trilogy out, so much of the movie should have been setup better in the previous 2 movies.

Even thou the movie felt like a lot of fan service I liked most of it. Also adam driver was the best he has been in the 3 movies.

So you can properly rate the above opinions, I think TLJ is the best Disney star wars media and either the 3rd or 4th best star wars movie

I don't have any quotes from TROS yet. Well, I have one, but I won't play it until it's appropriate in a hockey sense.

It met my low expectations and I had fun watching it. But goodness golly, in a series where suspension of disbelief and writing-by-the-seat-of-your-pants is a badge of honor, this one...  It is so very retconned and disjointed and is wearing the biggest pants ever. Everyone can say what they will about the The Last Jedi, but it did sweep the decks clean for a Rey-Kylo story to close it out. That story is in TROS sort of (with some very good and some... well, some not so good).

I guess my summary is this: this is what happens when you don't have source material and three different people write different sections. George Lucas made up the original and he made Leia and Luke siblings after Empire and so it's a bit messy. Then the prequels were pre-ordained, just oddly crafted. But this sequel trilogy just doesn't have an end-to-end cohesive story. And that's sad, since Star Wars was once the simplest story of... ever.

I enjoyed the movie.  I avoiding watching any trailers or reading any reviews so that I went into the movie cold and with an open mind.  I think that made it more enjoyable.  

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.  After seeing the movie, I went back and read the reviews and understand the criticisms but I think they miss the broader point.  They were trying to tie up the loose ends and succeeded. 

• Like (+1) 1

Overall, the movie was OK.  Pretty sure none of the rest of this is spoiler, but not positive of that.

The 1st nearly 2 hours were enjoyable as 5 minute vignettes but really had no cohesion with each other.  (Suppose that's from trying to tie the hodge podge that VIII turned into together with VII, but not positive.)

There was a turning point in the cohesion level of the movie and after that it was good, though there were still parts that didn't quite fit together.

As others said, Favreau probably would've done a better job with it.  Thought Abrams would've done better getting everything to work together as VII was actually a good homage to IV.

It was better than VIII, not as good as VII (though the last 1/3 or so was as good as that), and no where near the quality of Rouge One.

It was looking like they might have done something well for the first 5/8, where I could go along with what they were feeding us, but after that it went down hill fast and I just was like whatever. I can't remember the specific point in the story at the moment. I was hoping to like the characters in this latest trilogy but I really just don't feel a thing for them.  I have some comments to make when we can do spoilers, but for now two thoughts:

1. The latest trilogy of Star Wars movies, actually, a lot of larger profile sci-fi and fantasy lately, makes me appreciate more and more the brilliance of the Harry Potter world.
  2. It's probably best that they put a fork in the original Skywalker narrative, no matter how poorly they did it.

The problem they faced was the second movie.  They’d have needed two more films showing the first the rebuilding rebels and deteriorating Kylo Ren and then this movie second.  

They also had to tie up 8 films of loose ends.

The best article I read was they needed a show runner to run all three films regardless of script or director to make sure the story arcs worked from script to script.  

Interesting - Different sources are saying before the reshoots, an explanation of how the Emperor survived was included.  After Vader  threw him down a shaft to the Death Star reactor in Episode 6, there was a sudden wave of energy.  It was the Emperor creating a worm hole to the Sith planet Exogol. However, to do this the Emperor had to die.  It was his spirit that made it to Exogol, and it was the Sith Eternal that were able to make a clone body for him.  
This portion of the movie was directed by George Lucas.  It was removed to keep the length of the film down, and to keep the story very simple.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

The last three sequels were pretty much the exact opposite of the Prequels:

Prequels: Great stories that obeyed the laws of the SW universe; spoiled by bad characters, bad directing, and bad scripts. 

Last three films: Great characters, solid directing and scripts; spoiled by terrible storylines that repeatedly violated the laws of the SW universe.

If only George Lucas could have provided the essential narrative and turned it over to a director with vision and chops. That's the formula that helped make Empire the best of the whole franchise.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t expect much when I went into the theater today but I actually liked the movie. I still despise the way Disney has handled the franchise but I like how this movie unfolded. It had a classic SW video game feel. 
  Have we all seen it? Has it been a reasonable amount of time to hold off from spoilers? There’s a few things on my mind.

I think if you say SPOILER ...

skip a few lines (leave space) 

followed by what you want to talk about, that’s fair .... that way if someone wants to read reactions or people grading the movie, and not accidentally start reading spoiler stuff ... 

I think if EVERYONE did that it would respect those who haven’t gotten the chance to see it yet. 

just a thought 

7 hours ago, Ogre said:

I didn’t expect much when I went into the theater today but I actually liked the movie. I still despise the way Disney has handled the franchise but I like how this movie unfolded. It had a classic SW video game feel. 
  Have we all seen it? Has it been a reasonable amount of time to hold off from spoilers? There’s a few things on my mind.

I’m going to see it today.

I think the most respectful thing to do is at least wait until its no longer in theaters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.