OT Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

It’s set after ROTJ I believe. 

I wonder if there will be references to the Battle of Jakuu. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

The Mandalorian is set after ROTJ and before Force Awakens. And it is not about Boba Fett.

Ahhh ok.  I was wondering which revolution they were mentioning in that trailer, either the birth of the Empire or its death.  That answers that.

2 hours ago, sabills said:

Love that its TOTALLY NOT BOBA FETT, and also TOTALLY NOT IG-88, and probably TOTALLY NOT BOSSK but they all end up randomly in the same place anyways.

It really does feel like they just took the KW Jeter "Bounty Hunter Trilogy" and turned it sideways a little bit to make it canon.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, miles said:

I think with the last two movies being generally disliked that they need this to be a success. I believe if its another failure, Kathleen Kennedy will be working elsewhere. 

I think that they need to start over after this. Do a different timeline like the Old republic or something 1000 years in the future. 

Rehashing the emperor feels like a poor attempt at regaining the original trilogy fans that they lost.

They truly need a new idea during a different timeline. as long as you can compare new characters old to new as being a  1 to 1, it will be called a rehash.

At this point, I wont pay to see this movie in the theater. after the few movies, I am honestly over star wars at this point. it's a shame because it was truly a passion of mine before Disney bought it.

This isn't true. The Last Jedi is polarizing, but if anything it's a 50/50 split. It also got great critical reviews. Calling it generally disliked I don't think is fair. 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:25 PM, ... said:

This is Hollywood, they butcher everything.  I mean, how do you screw up The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?  Leave it to Hollywood to show you how.  Personally, I don't get caught up trying to reconcile the messes they make in the story details.  If I'm entertained at the end, then I'm entertained.  The only outrageous moment was the Princess Leia in outer space thing.  It was so bad, it distracted me from the rest of the movie.  I'll watch it again before SW:RoS, and at least this time I'll be prepared for it. 

What?

On 10/22/2019 at 4:05 PM, DarthEbriate said:

I don't think LOTR was screwed up... I really think they just about nailed it as well as could be (particularly if you watch the Extended Editions) with the exception of maybe adding too much Elves (personified by Arwen and Legolas playing on "god" mode) and turning Gimli into just comic relief in the 2nd two films. But yes, The Hobbit. They butchered The Hobbit by trying to make it into LOTR and the content just doesn't support that. And it was total global economics 101 fun, too. Check out Lindsay Ellis' 2- or 3-part YouTube hobbit autopsy effort.

As to Leia...  she was barely conscious and Force-pulled herself back to the door handle. Perhaps she needed to move an arm or show more agency, but otherwise -- that's what it would look like, right? She did a Force pull but couldn't really move, so it was just an extended arm. That didn't bother me. But I was surprised because they could have rewritten from that point and ... had that been her end. Terrible and unfulfilling because it was the TIE pilots, but also a clean way to remove her. It's most odd because all signs indicated that this final film was going to feature Carrie Fisher as a send-off, the way 7 focused on Han and 8 focused on Luke.

It's not close to the masterpiece that is LOTR, but I still enjoy the Hobbit. Anyone who watches the documentaries on the EEs can see the love and care and effort Peter Jackson and crew put into making the Hobbit. Even PJ admits it didn't turn out exactly how he would have liked, but there is too much craftsmanship to be found within them for me to toss them out so thoroughly like most seem to. 

I just have so shake my head when people saying PJ was mailing it in for a cash grab. I'm sure the studio was licking it's chops, but it was PJ's decision to split into 3, and he says he made it for artistic reasons. He didn't need the money. If someone hated the Hobbit I'm not gonna hold it against them as movies are always subjective, but you still see a lot of misnomers (not saying that's what you are doing).

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

This isn't true. The Last Jedi is polarizing, but if anything it's a 50/50 split. It also got great critical reviews. Calling it generally disliked I don't think is fair. 

I'd be curious to see real numbers on this.  I feel like I've heard from more people that didn't like the movie.  That's far from a representative sample though.  Most of the online numbers aren't either.  The critics are another story all together.  At this point, I don't trust a word that comes out of any of their mouths.  The majority of those folks are living in a completely different world than I am.  That's fine, everyone has their thing, but I feel like I'm almost never on the same page as them.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

What?

It's not close to the masterpiece that is LOTR, but I still enjoy the Hobbit. Anyone who watches the documentaries on the EEs can see the love and care and effort Peter Jackson and crew put into making the Hobbit. Even PJ admits it didn't turn out exactly how he would have liked, but there is too much craftsmanship to be found within them for me to toss them out so thoroughly like most seem to. 

I just have so shake my head when people saying PJ was mailing it in for a cash grab. I'm sure the studio was licking it's chops, but it was PJ's decision to split into 3, and he says he made it for artistic reasons. He didn't need the money. If someone hated the Hobbit I'm not gonna hold it against them as movies are always subjective, but you still see a lot of misnomers (not saying that's what you are doing).

I don't think you read the posts.  @DarthEbriate talks about things that the docs cover and no one in this thread has called LOTR or The Hobbiit a cash grab. I saw the docs and I know what they went through to make those movies and they still screwed them up. I've a mild interest in seeing Mortal Engines, but because it's a PJ film and world, have had little motivation to fire it up. 

While the Tolkien movies are "made well", and I totally think they are, the artistic choices were bad.  The quality of the film-making is what, to me, makes them worth watching, not their interpretation(s) of the stories.

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think 50/50 would be considered a failure.  Just my opinion though 

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Personally I liked The Last Jedi much more than the Force Awakens.  Last Jedi, sure, it had a few problems, but the story was a lot more interesting to me.  Force Awakens...I actually think it was a bad movie.

The problem I have with the new Trilogy is I don't really like many of the characters. The Poe Dameron character is probably my favorite...but Finn is average, Rey does NOTHING for me at all being a lead...and While I like Adam Driver in some of his other works....his role here is my least favorite.

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Personally I liked The Last Jedi much more than the Force Awakens.  Last Jedi, sure, it had a few problems, but the story was a lot more interesting to me.  Force Awakens...I actually think it was a bad movie.

The problem I have with the new Trilogy is I don't really like many of the characters. The Poe Dameron character is probably my favorite...but Finn is average, Rey does NOTHING for me at all being a lead...and While I like Adam Driver in some of his other works....his role here is my least favorite.

The problem I have with Rey is everything comes so easily to her. For example she beats Ben solo in lightsaber battle even though she had never touched a sabrer before. I dont want to hear that Ben was shot because he was not on his deathbed and should have been able to destroy her like he did fin

Fin is ok, but he doesn't add anything to the story. 

Poe is the cool guy of the group, but was pretty badly written in tlj.

I'm not a big fan of the latest movies, but I will say that ep7 was better than the prequels, but tlj brings a whole new level of bad. Tlj seems like it was written by someone who had never seen a  star wars movie, or read just the cliffsnotes, but got characters confused with each other

Edited by miles

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I'd be curious to see real numbers on this.  I feel like I've heard from more people that didn't like the movie.  That's far from a representative sample though.  Most of the online numbers aren't either.  The critics are another story all together.  At this point, I don't trust a word that comes out of any of their mouths.  The majority of those folks are living in a completely different world than I am.  That's fine, everyone has their thing, but I feel like I'm almost never on the same page as them.

I think that’s often a function of the average movie goer seeing a movie a being like “oh, that was pretty good” and moving on with their life. 

The fan/viewer completely pissed off at their experience is more likely to want to make that known. 

It scored high with exit polling (Cinemascore) at time of release. Can’t also forget the wide range of bots proven to be set up specifically to rip the movie and cause discord. Again, plenty legitimately hated it. But plenty didn’t. 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, ... said:

I don't think you read the posts.  @DarthEbriate talks about things that the docs cover and no one in this thread has called LOTR or The Hobbiit a cash grab. I saw the docs and I know what they went through to make those movies and they still screwed them up. I've a mild interest in seeing Mortal Engines, but because it's a PJ film and world, have had little motivation to fire it up. 

While the Tolkien movies are "made well", and I totally think they are, the artistic choices were bad.  The quality of the film-making is what, to me, makes them worth watching, not their interpretation(s) of the stories.

No, I read them. 

I wanted to make a separate point about what you here so often about the Hobbit, as I mentioned in my post, I wasn’t saying that was what Darth was doing. 

You specifically contended that LOTR was “screwed up” and I vehemently disagree on that. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, miles said:

I think 50/50 would be considered a failure.  Just my opinion though 

That’s fair, like I said, my point was “if anything”. In reality I think it’s much more tilted to the positive side considering reviews, audience polling, IMDB, even anecdotally. 

But at the end of the day, it’s certainly a divisive movie. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I think that’s often a function of the average movie goer seeing a movie a being like “oh, that was pretty good” and moving on with their life. 

The fan/viewer completely pissed off at their experience is more likely to want to make that known. 

It scored high with exit polling (Cinemascore) at time of release. Can’t also forget the wide range of bots proven to be set up specifically to rip the movie and cause discord. Again, plenty legitimately hated it. But plenty didn’t. 

That and I often find the most active participants in online discussions to be just about the lowest form of humanity... excluding this board, obviously?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, Thorny said:

What?

PJ didn't mail it in, but the original Guillermo del Toro script and PJ/Boyen's original script were both two-part films. Along the way it was decided upon a third film (I suspect studio saying "we want our money" and PJ being a good guy and accepting responsibility going along with it). But he and Boyens did a very good job of editing LOTR into three films --- ending Two Towers with Helm's Deep on the one plotline (as opposed to Saruman, in the book) and with a contrived but consistent-toned "battle" at Osgiliath and then Gollum's deception, rather than just Sam trapped outside... but with the Ring.

That narrative structure wasn't in Hobbit.... the climax to 2 made no sense (Smaug... chases...?) and then Smaug dies before the opening title card of Hobbit 3. And then the added Necromancer plotline also resolves in the first act of the Hobbit 3. It became a very disjointed story by going from two to three films.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:52 PM, shrader said:

That and I often find the most active participants in online discussions to be just about the lowest form of humanity... excluding this board, obviously?

(I'm more machine now than man)

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

PJ didn't mail it in, but the original Guillermo del Toro script and PJ/Boyen's original script were both two-part films. Along the way it was decided upon a third film (I suspect studio saying "we want our money" and PJ being a good guy and accepting responsibility going along with it). But he and Boyens did a very good job of editing LOTR into three films --- ending Two Towers with Helm's Deep on the one plotline (as opposed to Saruman, in the book) and with a contrived but consistent-toned "battle" at Osgiliath and then Gollum's deception, rather than just Sam trapped outside... but with the Ring.

That narrative structure wasn't in Hobbit.... the climax to 2 made no sense (Smaug... chases...?) and then Smaug dies before the opening title card of Hobbit 3. And then the added Necromancer plotline also resolves in the first act of the Hobbit 3. It became a very disjointed story by going from two to three films.

(I'm more machine now than man)

Ya, not saying the split for The Hobbit was a beneficial one or particularly well handled, just that PJ himself said it was his choice. LOTR was only 2 films very early in the conception stage, the studio said "3 books, why not 3 movies?" very early on - and it made perfect sense. If memory serves it was going to be 2 films when it was originally under Miramax, New Line it was always 3 for LOTR.

In truth, regarding The Hobbit, the studio issues that delayed production endlessly and forced out del Toro is the main culprit. PJ originally had no intention or desire to direct The Hobbit, and the thing you mentioned about him being a good guy and stepping in factored in at that point. 

But he was the first to say that taking it on out of obligation led to a product that probably wasn’t up to snuff with the original vision. 

Edited by Thorny

So I just watched the Last Jedi for the first time since it came out.

There are so many clues in there about what's going on.

Luke, at the end, gives CP30 an icy stare.  Luke knows something is up with CP30. Was it C3PO who they were tracking?  Is C3PO carrying the essence of Darth Sidious? I think there's some connection here.

The Rebel emblem is a phoenix.  There will always be a rebellion and something to rebel against.  The Rise of Skywalker will not end definitively.  Several reasons: as far as a universal narrative goes, the battle between "good" and "evil", "light" and "dark, must always continue because that is the essence of our reality. It just takes new forms over time, hence the phoenix, and the very ending plot maneuvering at the end of VIII.  Also, in our world, there is too much money tied up in the Star Wars property for the main story to just end.

The farmers Kylo tells Rey are his parents are either Han and Leia or Luke and someone who, after the end of Episode 6, went off to live a quiet life somewhere.  Just because Kylo "saw" them buried in the desert, doesn't mean that is actually where her parents ended up.  I can envision Han and Leia starting a farm to get away from everything.  Their first born is Kylo, who gets sent to Luke very young, and Rey is born to Han and Leia just afterward.  Then the New Order comes to power, perhaps going after Leia among the first things they do trying to quell the resistance before it starts - which would be a Snoke/sith thing to try and do.  The "buried in the desert" vision could be a result of the N.O. blowing up Han and Leia's homestead, but they escape - leaving Rey on the planet to be safe since no one knew about her - a similar convention like Jyn's in Rogue One, which is the Star Wars way of recycling story arcs.

Replace Luke and red-shirt wife in the above for the same fundamental character origin story is Kylo and Rey are to be cousins rather than siblings (and hence "the rise of Skywalker").

Either way, so, as Luke explains in VIII with the help of Kylo and Snoke, there is always a darkness to offset a light and vice versa.  The attention of Kylo's upbringing offsets the abandonment of Rey's, Rey is tied to the light side of the Force as much as Kylo is tied to the dark side.

This current cycle of the Force is attaining equilibrium, which is what the scene with Yoda and Luke indicates, and the theme of the entire series if you think about it.  Kylo (and Luke) isn't wrong when he says it all needs to go; the Sith, the Jedi, the New Order and the Rebellion, because all of that causes imbalance.  So the final balancing of this Force cycle will be Kylo and Rey both becoming balanced with the Force, even though one might be dark and one might be light - both will still end up being neither dark or light, because by biasing in either direction brings imbalance to the Force.

That's how the Skywalker arc will end - the progeny of Skywalker will achieve the ultimate balance between light/dark/good/evil. And the universe will be at peace for another 30 years or so until...

Whatever those kids on the gambling planet in VIII do to react to whatever fills the void of the New Order because, as time goes on, something is introduced into the universe to cause the Force to destabilize and go out of balance.  Like Saṃsāra, reality and energy consists of never-ending cycles and so it must be that the Force goes out of balance, it is the beginning of another cycle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.