Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen sent to Amerks

Brawndo

16 hours ago, skaught said:

I disagree, I'm not quoting a question, I'm just emphasizing a fake word. Maybe I should've just made it italic, but who cares?

Punctuation rules are frequently arbitrary.  This is one of those cases.  the rules say it should be inside the quotation marks.

I say, ***** the rules.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Punctuation rules are frequently arbitrary.  This is one of those cases.  the rules say it should be inside the quotation marks.

I say, ***** the rules.

Ah, actually, there's an arbitrary-ness almost half of the time.  Especially when it comes to construction around and involving quotes.  The "rules" are more styles than actual rules - as in those might be the rules of the style, but no final, absolute rule exists.  

@inkman did, in fact, place the question mark properly according to Strunk and White, for example (a style guide I prefer over most others).

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'd put the full name in the title. A lot of fans don't know who that is yet.

Can we get more info in the title tho...who is he really, what is he looking for in life, how does he take his coffee.....

We need answers!

• Haha (+1) 1

*waves hands to motion everyone back into the arena*

I’m glad to have him on the team. The less I see of Hammond the better. A functioning positional goalie but he was brutal in that last SO. He gets beaten glove side high every single time.  Johansson? He’s been good in Cincinnati. Mediocre in Rochester. 

Bring to me a decent goalie....

• nfreeman changed the title to Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen sent to Amerks

One of the things I love about this board is our ability to take a perfectly good thread and send it off track.  

I am looking forward to seeing how UPL adjusts to pro hockey and to see if he can become the franchise goalie we hope he is.  I wonder if his rapid rise in the organization helped focus our current goaltenders on getting better.  

Now that the thread title has been corrected....It will be interesting to see how the goaltending situation plays out over the next couple of years.  With a capable defense in front of them, Hutton and Ullmark are both playing pretty well this year.  When the defense has been poor, they have stepped up and bailed the team out.  Ullmark was the reason we got a point in the Columbus game and I think that Hutton stole a game for us more recently (perhaps the LA game, which I didn't see).  If these guys are able to sustain this level of play for the next couple of seasons (a big if, I understand), how and when does UPL get into the mix?  After Hutton's contract expires?  What if Ullmark, who is still young, becomes a bona fide NHL #1.  Where does UPL fit in?  This would be a good problem to have, mind you....

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Now that the thread title has been corrected....It will be interesting to see how the goaltending situation plays out over the next couple of years.  With a capable defense in front of them, Hutton and Ullmark are both playing pretty well this year.  When the defense has been poor, they have stepped up and bailed the team out.  Ullmark was the reason we got a point in the Columbus game and I think that Hutton stole a game for us more recently (perhaps the LA game, which I didn't see).  If these guys are able to sustain this level of play for the next couple of seasons (a big if, I understand), how and when does UPL get into the mix?  After Hutton's contract expires?  What if Ullmark, who is still young, becomes a bona fide NHL #1.  Where does UPL fit in?  This would be a good problem to have, mind you....

A good problem to have, but not a pressing one.  There is still a while before this drama will play out, with lots of twists and turns coming no doubt.  If the Sabres truly end up with three NHL-caliber starters, I'm sure we can move one to fill a hole.

UPL won’t sniff the NHL this entire season.

Next season I can see him getting some preseason games. And perhaps a handful with Sabres. 

In 21-22, if he’s developing well, I can see him backing up whoever Sabres have as a starter.

By 21-22, Hutton will be gone. If he signs a one year with Sabres and stays instead of retires, then UPL stays in Roch an extra year.

Unless something major happens like a goalie trade or major long term injury, that’s the path I feel is most likely.

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

UPL won’t sniff the NHL this entire season.

Next season I can see him getting some preseason games. And perhaps a handful with Sabres. 

In 21-22, if he’s developing well, I can see him backing up whoever Sabres have as a starter.

By 21-22, Hutton will be gone. If he signs a one year with Sabres and stays instead of retires, then UPL stays in Roch an extra year.

Unless something major happens like a goalie trade or major long term injury, that’s the path I feel is most likely.

Wasn’t that the plan for Ullmark?  Wasn’t that Philly’s plan for Hart?  

Goalie plans are rarely linear progressions.  Ullmark, coming off injury was forced into our lineup as a 1st yr NA pro and acquitted himself pretty well and then struggled in Roch for the next couple of years.  He in finally blossoming this year 4 years after his 1st taste of the NHL.  Hart jumped into the NHL and stayed midway through his 1st pro season.

UPL could easily go either way.  I think Jbot has your timeline in mind, I’m just saying it likely won’t work out that way.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wasn’t that the plan for Ullmark?  Wasn’t that Philly’s plan for Hart?  

Goalie plans are rarely linear progressions.  Ullmark, coming off injury was forced into our lineup as a 1st yr NA pro and acquitted himself pretty well and then struggled in Roch for the next couple of years.  He in finally blossoming this year 4 years after his 1st taste of the NHL.  Hart jumped into the NHL and stayed midway through his 1st pro season.

UPL could easily go either way.  I think Jbot has your timeline in mind, I’m just saying it likely won’t work out that way.

Are we thinking it's probably unlikely he sees even a game this season in Buffalo?

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Are we thinking it's probably unlikely he sees even a game this season in Buffalo?

There are only three scenarios:

1) one of the current guys is out with long-term injury.

2) both the current guys have imploded and we are either desperately trying to salvage the season or playing out the sting.

3) We are comfortably in a playoff spot and he gets a look as a reward for good play in a mean-nothing end-of-season game.

I’ll take the third one.

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Just now, dudacek said:

There are only three scenarios:

1) one of the current guys is out with long-term injury.

2) both the current guys have imploded and we are either desperately trying to salvage the season or playing out the sting.

3) We are comfortably in a playoff spot and he gets a look as a reward for good play in a mean-nothing end-of-season game.

I’ll take the third one.

or

both guys here stay healthy and continue to play well and we are in a pitch battle for a playoff spot and therefore UPL stays all season in Roch.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

or

both guys here stay healthy and continue to play well and we are in a pitch battle for a playoff spot and therefore UPL stays all season in Roch.

I'm not sure he even gets a start if we have fallen out of the race, just a guess that he's scheduled to be a Rochester American for the entire season. But the scenarios dudacek outlined are certainly possible. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

or

Under that scenario he doesn’t play. Sorry, thought I was clear I was talking about scenarios where he will play.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Under that scenario he doesn’t play. Sorry, thought I was clear I was talking about scenarios where he will play.

I agree with your scenarios, but with goaltending one never knows what is going to happen.

Another scenario in which he does play in Buffalo this year is that he struggles in Roch and doesn't earn a look see.  This is the one scenario I don't want to see.  I want him pushing Ullmark and Hutton from below.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.