GDT: 10/19 Sabres at San Jose, 10:30pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting move on D.   A promotion for Joker or a demotion for Dahlin?  Or other?

It looks like they might think Jokiharju is more defensively gifted than we think he is. His possession metrics are pretty good with a more defense first tilt, so maybe they think he and Dahlin can pair up to cause some problems.

• Like (+1) 2

Seems like RFK shortens the bench in the 3rd if the game is close.   He goes with experience.  With a Dahlin-Jokiharju  pairing, he can sit that pair if the game is tight and not mess up the other 2 pairs.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Seems like RFK shortens the bench in the 3rd if the game is close.   He goes with experience.  With a Dahlin-Jokiharju  pairing, he can sit that pair if the game is tight and not mess up the other 2 pairs.

Yup.  My though as well.  Dahlin will still get PP time.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting move on D.   A promotion for Joker or a demotion for Dahlin?  Or other?

I think that it's not so much a demotion/promotion for either one, think it's gonna be evening it out more among the six and going for the win. The balancing and getting more out of everyone.

They"ll (Rasmus/Joker) likely get their extra time on PP hopefully.

I’m seeing the D switch as an indicator that Montour is getting close. Scandella-Miller was a 3rd pairing in preseason/practice and Dahlin-Montour should be an ideal 2A to balance the 2B of McCabe-Risto. 

And I make that distinction because at this point in his career Dahlin clis not yet able to anchor a 1. But he will be. He will be. 

Where does this leave Joker? In a great spot to play top minutes in the A or as the 5/6 if we move anyone for a forward. 

Isn’t defensive depth (and youthful depth at that), a nice thing to have?

• Like (+1) 3

First, @jsb has created the template for GDTs. A+ work (except for your spelling ?).

31 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I’m seeing the D switch as an indicator that Montour is getting close. Scandella-Miller was a 3rd pairing in preseason/practice and Dahlin-Montour should be an ideal 2A to balance the 2B of McCabe-Risto. 

Interesting take, and I think one that has some merit, mainly the Montour getting close part.  As for the finale where Joki is in the A. This is a new day, a new beginning.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

It looks like they might think Jokiharju is more defensively gifted than we think he is. His possession metrics are pretty good with a more defense first tilt, so maybe they think he and Dahlin can pair up to cause some problems.

This is good. I think combined with @Tondas theory, there's something to it.

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Again, combine this with @darksabre 's theory, and I think there's something to all of this.

If a Joki-Dahlin pairing works, that basically gives them two other pairs to make changes on that won't negatively affect the future.  Any one of Miller, Scandella, Risto, or McCabe can be a trade piece.  Montour slots into the empty space.  Personally, I would prefer it be Scandella who goes.

Meanwhile, they can deploy Joki-Dahlin as they see fit.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Promotion for Scandella

As long as Joki's ice time goes up and Dahlin's doesn't go down, I'm good with the switch up in theory. Scandella HAS been good. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I noticed that a beat reporter reordered the lines so that LOG is the 3rd line. When did that become the thing that reporters are doing? Just curious. 

The bottom 6 really is a curiosity with Head Coach Ralph Krueger. No middle 6 really a’tall?

The Sabres official listing of the lines pre-game has been even weirder, they don't label the lines by number anymore and they are put in a seemingly random order each game. Must follow from Krueger's comment about "not numbering" the lines.

Realistically, we know the Eichel line is 1, The Johansson line is 2, Larsson's line is the "checking" line and Mittelstadt's is the offensively sheltered, limited minutes line. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I noticed that a beat reporter reordered the lines so that LOG is the 3rd line. When did that become the thing that reporters are doing? Just curious. 

The bottom 6 really is a curiosity with Head Coach Ralph Krueger. No middle 6 really a’tall?

I saw Vogl or Reardon start around the 9th.  Sabres vs Habs.   I think this has been debated here quite robustly.  I’m on the record after the MTL game that it should be that way.  But the Daily Face Off has not changed...yet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

As long as Joki's ice time goes up and Dahlin's doesn't go down, I'm good with the switch up in theory. Scandella HAS been good. 

The Sabres official listing of the lines pre-game has been even weirder, they don't label the lines by number anymore and they are put in a seemingly random order each game. Must follow from Krueger's comment about "not numbering" the lines.

Realistically, we know the Eichel line is 1, The Johansson line is 2, Larsson's line is the "checking" line and Mittelstadt's is the offensively sheltered, limited minutes line. 

Sort of like line 1, line 2, line 3A, line 3B

Edited by Andrew Amerk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.