MITTS/SHEARY/VESEY/EROD

GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, miles said:

Mittlestadt is still young. I think he is going to be similar to reinhart where it takes him several years to make an impact . I'm not sold on reinhart either to be honest. he was a number 2 pick, but I feel like he is not really a #1 line guy (not supposed to number lines anymore but it's what I mean)

Exactly. I'll admit for me the issue is always that Sam isn't Draisaitl, and I always want him to be that good but he isn't. The issue for me next year is how he expects to be paid. If he demands top line money and we pay it we are in trouble sooner than later. It'll be odd, if we continue with a successful season this year, to see discussions shift to future cap problems and how good is good enough and so forth rather than just the usual sad fire them all stuff it's been for years.

Mitts should have been lower in the line up last year. The Berglund thing screwed us up bad and now Mitts needs to be restarted and redeveloped BUT I think Krueger is doing it right limiting ice time and teaching defensive responsibility. I believe he can still develop and next year Eichel - Cozens- Mitts-Larsson will look pretty good as our 4 centers.  

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I like everyone's play so far except for Vesey.  He has disappeared at times and you don't even hear his name.  Casey will get going. I actually would prefer a line of Vesey, Mitts, and Thompson and that may happen toward end of season.  

I do see them moving on from Sheary and possibly even Vesey at deadline as they are both UFA's.  

ERod could be included in trade with whatever defenseman gets moved in the next month or so.

None of this is happening

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly. I'll admit for me the issue is always that Sam isn't Draisaitl, and I always want him to be that good but he isn't. The issue for me next year is how he expects to be paid. If he demands top line money and we pay it we are in trouble sooner than later. .  

“Top line money” is open to a lot of interpretation. It’s been established that statistically, Sam is a first-line NHL player already.

Matt Tkachuk signed for $7 million and Brayden Point nearly that. They’re both better than Sam but those are bridge deals, and twice the money Sam got on his bridge.

Kyle Connor is probably a similar value player. He got over 7 for term, which bought three UFA years. The best recent comparable for me is Willie Nylanders deal of just over 7 for six years, which bought 2 UFA years. So I think Sam will easily get 7, probably more with term, and even more if this is a career year.

What kind of Sam contract do you think we need to keep us out of trouble?

Edited by dudacek

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“Top line money” is open to a lot of interpretation. It’s been established that statistically, Sam is a first-line NHL player already.

Matt Tkachuk signed for $7 million and Brayden Point for nearly that. They’re both better than Sam but those are bridge deals, and twice the money Sam got on his bridge.

Kyle Connor is probably a similar value player. He got over 7 for term, which bought three UFA years. The best recent comparable for me is Willie Nylanders deal of just over 7 for six years, which bought 2 UFA years. So I think Sam will easily get 7, probably more with term, and even more if this is a career year.

Hard to say as the US TV deal will come up for bid in IIRC 2 seasons.  The expectation is that when cable/ satellite/ OTA and streaming rights are all spec'd out that there will be a "substantial" increase in the overall revenue pool.

I really wanted Reinhart to get signed for 8 years when he got the bridge.  Now, I'm hoping for 8 years at $8MM/ year or less.

If he and Eichel stay healthy all year and stay linemates he has a very realistic chance of being an 80+ point player.  Can Botterill get him to agree to $8MM/ on a long deal when everybody expects the TV revenue to go up?

10 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Wrong, this is a Sabres problem.  They need a solid third line center and Casey has shown nothing so far to prove he is the guy.  

Yeah, it’s true that Buffalo needs adequate C’s, but that fact that you are tired of waiting for a 20 yr old to figure it out does not mean that he isn’t going to be able to play a good 2/3C after further development.  

It sounded as if you were passing premature judgment on the kid’s future simply because you have grown impatient with him.

Just now, Curt said:

Yeah, it’s true that Buffalo needs adequate C’s, but that fact that you are tired of waiting for a 20 yr old to figure it out does not mean that he isn’t going to be able to play a good 2/3C after further development.  

It sounded as if you were passing premature judgment on the kid’s future simply because you have grown impatient with him.

I'm not saying Casey is a lost cause, I'm just saying we've been waiting on the future for 6 years - it's go time.  If the kid can't figure it out we have skaters that could be a better option.  Right now I'd rather see eRod as that 3C.  I'm curious to see if Krueger makes any changes if that line isn't able to get it going tonight. 

8 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I'm not saying Casey is a lost cause, I'm just saying we've been waiting on the future for 6 years - it's go time.  If the kid can't figure it out we have skaters that could be a better option.  Right now I'd rather see eRod as that 3C.  I'm curious to see if Krueger makes any changes if that line isn't able to get it going tonight. 

I’m sympathetic to that view.  I’d rather see Casey at C in Rochester than moved over to wing in the NHL.  I still think he can have a decent future as an NHL C.  

He needs patience, even though the fan base has little left.  It’s not his fault that Buffalo has been bad for a long time.  It doesn’t change his development.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Matt Tkachuk signed for $7 million and Brayden Point nearly that. They’re both better than Sam but those are bridge deals, and twice the money Sam got on his bridge.

If Sam signs for 6+, I'd give him all the term he wants. 7+, imo starts to get us into trouble. He is not as good as the players you list above. Well, maybe Nylander. Point went lower cause of the tax break I guess, but Sam has to come in lower than that. 

Cozens slides in at 2C in two years when Johansson is done. Mittelstadt stays at 3C, maybe spends a year transitioning Cozens. Asplund takes 4C. 

Barring major injury, we don’t need to go out of our way to fill in centers. 

Need a RW or two and just draft BPA and actually hit with them for once. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Cozens slides in at 2C in two years when Johansson is done. Mittelstadt stays at 3C, maybe spends a year transitioning Cozens. Asplund takes 4C. 

I'm personally hoping they both play next year. Asplund at center with Johanson moving to his normal wing and Cozens starting at 4C. We need more size and toughness for 4C. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm personally hoping they both play next year. Asplund at center with Johanson moving to his normal wing and Cozens starting at 4C. We need more size and toughness for 4C. 

But why would we put Cozens at 4c? He's better than that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

49 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Is this an option? What have we learned from last year?

The only one on this line showing an inkling of improvement is Mitts, if that tells you anything. I know it's a small sample size but come on.

Casey has significantly outplayed ERod so far this year.

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Is this an option? What have we learned from last year?

The only one on this line showing an inkling of improvement is Mitts, if that tells you anything. I know it's a small sample size but come on.

Casey needs NHL wings or send him to Rochester. Playing him 8 minutes a night with Matt Ellis and Paul Kruse isn't going to make him any better. 

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Casey needs NHL wings or send him to Rochester. Playing him 8 minutes a night with Matt Ellis and Paul Kruse isn't going to make him any better. 

He’s playing with players who score more in a season than those two do in a career.

And he already looks better to me.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a strange comparison to make, considering we're talking a 4 game set for Evan. The first two were bad, and the last two were fine, though neither player played very much in the most recent one. In their three ES shifts together last night in the first two periods, they created three pretty dangerous scoring chances - well, Evan was a part of all 3, and Casey 1. And against Dallas, they owned the puck. Casey has been quiet since the first game, but better in the last three than in the three between these two, in which he was downright bad. In that sense, Casey doesn't look very different than last year. Slightly better. Evan simply looks like a rusty hockey player that's quickly getting better in the incredibly limited ice time he's been given. And he was absolutely a better player than Casey last year, so unless there's some regression for some reason, which I haven't seen evidence of, I'd be happy to let this line keep rolling...with some actual ice time so that our top two lines don't get gassed like yesterday. Rodrigues and Mitts are both transition players and both flashed it in their ~5 shifts together last night. Sheary can score on the rush. I think the stylistic setup of this line is pretty cut and dry, and at this point it's about getting the most out of them.

If this line has problems 15 games from now, maybe we talk trades, call-ups, etc. But combing 7, or 4, games carefully is exactly what Ralph seems to not be interested in doing, and I like what I've seen from them in the last few. Although Vesey simply doesn't make any sense to me

Meh.  Neither player has contributed significantly.  Casey is the more skilled player, but he hasn't been able to translate it into points.  

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

This could be a major reason Casey isn't translating that skill into points.  eRod should've buried that feed from Casey last night.

I was only able to watch a few parts of the game last night, and the highlights today.  Did this line generate much last night?  It looks like Vesey and Casey both had 14-15 minutes, but eRod only had 7 minutes.  Did this line get broken up or was it due to PP/PK time?

1 minute ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Meh.  Neither player has contributed significantly.  Casey is the more skilled player, but he hasn't been able to translate it into points.  

This could be a major reason Casey isn't translating that skill into points.  eRod should've buried that feed from Casey last night.

I was only able to watch a few parts of the game last night, and the highlights today.  Did this line generate much last night?  It looks like Vesey and Casey both had 14-15 minutes, but eRod only had 7 minutes.  Did this line get broken up or was it due to PP/PK time?

Evan was basically benched, Kyle took his shifts. But a large part of the wonky ice times are also because of the amount of 4v4 and PP/PK time in this game.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is a strange comparison to make, considering we're talking a 4 game set for Evan. The first two were bad, and the last two were fine, though neither player played very much in the most recent one. In their three ES shifts together last night in the first two periods, they created three pretty dangerous scoring chances - well, Evan was a part of all 3, and Casey 1. And against Dallas, they owned the puck. Casey has been quiet since the first game, but better in the last three than in the three between these two, in which he was downright bad. In that sense, Casey doesn't look very different than last year. Slightly better. Evan simply looks like a rusty hockey player that's quickly getting better in the incredibly limited ice time he's been given. And he was absolutely a better player than Casey last year, so unless there's some regression for some reason, which I haven't seen evidence of, I'd be happy to let this line keep rolling...with some actual ice time so that our top two lines don't get gassed like yesterday. Rodrigues and Mitts are both transition players and both flashed it in their ~5 shifts together last night. Sheary can score on the rush. I think the stylistic setup of this line is pretty cut and dry, and at this point it's about getting the most out of them.

If this line has problems 15 games from now, maybe we talk trades, call-ups, etc. But combing 7, or 4, games carefully is exactly what Ralph seems to not be interested in doing, and I like what I've seen from them in the last few. Although Vesey simply doesn't make any sense to me

Don’t think it was strange at all considering it was in response to a post that stated Casey should be dropped from his centre ice role in favour of ERod.

Not sure if it’s chicken or egg with ERod: lacklustre play leading to benching, or benching leading to lacklustre play.

Am sure I think that ERod is better than he’s shown, that Casey has contributed more this year than ERod, that Casey is far more talented and important to the Sabres future than ERod, and that based on what I’ve seen on the ice so far, I am OK with what Ralph has done with his lineup choices.

Dont think benching any of the four in favour of the other three is a terrible decision, and I like the fact each has a somewhat tenuous hold on a lineup spot.

But Casey is the last of the four I’d sit right now.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.