MITTS/SHEARY/VESEY/EROD

GASabresIUFAN

What should be our expectations for this group/line going forward?  Is this line the team’s possible Achilles Heal?  Would calling up Thompson at some point make the team better?

Right now those 4 players have 5 pts total (3 on the PP) in 6 games.  Mitts has 2 assists and Sheary has 2 goals and an assist.  Vesey and Erod have goose eggs.  

I thought Mitts would be dramatically better this season and in some ways he is better.  I also thought playing with 2 proven depth wingers in Sheary and Vesey against better matchups would make them more effective.  So far nothing.  Obviously with 76 games remaining we have a long season in front of us, but I’m beginning to worry about this line.  

We can’t rely on GLO to continue to play at their current level.  They will be fine, but we will need more secondary scoring and guys like Vesey, Mitts and Sheary need to add 15 goals each this season if we are to truly contend for the playoffs.  

How can RK get these guys going?  How long will JBot wait to make a move to enhance this line if these guys remain ineffective?  I’m thinking after this West Coast road trip that if Sheary returns and the line remains ineffective, I can see Thompson recalled and someone like Vesey and Mitts benched with Erod centering Sheary and Thompson.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How can RK get these guys going?

That's the question, innit?

He's supposed to be the ultimate motivator, a good teacher, and someone who puts players in a position to succeed. 

If I'm him, I think I push the LOG line to take a few more shots.  I tell the Mitts line to just do what the LOG line has done to date:  Move the puck into the offensive zone and keep it there.  Take a shot if the opportunity arises, but focus on puck control in the offensive zone.

But that's just me.

Sheary scored 2 goals in 1 game and got hurt, I think he cant be included in this.

Erod I think has been in just 2 or 3 games, so I dont think you can say anything on him either, however I feel he played really well defensively in the last game.

That really just leaves mittlestadt and vesey. I dont think either is playing bad enough to outright release and I dont know if either has a two way contract. 

I think the idea if bringing up Thompson might be a nice idea because he is a big guy and could clear out and be a pest in front of the goal with his size. I would prefer him over erod, but erod will go back down as soon as sheary is back. I think Thompson stays down this season unless someone falls apart or gets hurt.

Mittlestadt is still young. I think he is going to be similar to reinhart where it takes him several years to make an impact . I'm not sold on reinhart either to be honest. he was a number 2 pick, but I feel like he is not really a #1 line guy (not supposed to number lines anymore but it's what I mean)

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

Put eRod back to center and move Casey to wing.  Let eRod focus on defensive and Casey go ham on wing.  In 1-2 years Cozens will be our 2/3rd line center anyways and at this rate it might take Casey another 2-3 years to develop into a solid two-way center.

Also, Vesey should spend some time in the press box when Sheary is back.  He has been solid defensively but we have enough grinders.  Sheary/eRod/Middlestat will cause teams fits if they can play north-south and use their speed to their advantage

• Like (+1) 1

A year or so ago I was saying "this team will never be a contender while ERod is still on the roster not as a 13th forward" and then i eventually backed off when he started producing...I'm now swinging back to that line of thought.

Mitts has had some chances but he needs to finish. I think once this line gets 1 or 2 in they're going to get clicking again and hopefully Sheary's return sparks that.

4 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Put eRod back to center and move Casey to wing.  Let eRod focus on defensive and Casey go ham on wing.  In 1-2 years Cozens will be our 2/3rd line center anyways and at this rate it might take Casey another 2-3 years to develop into a solid two-way center.

Also, Vesey should spend some time in the press box when Sheary is back.  He has been solid defensively but we have enough grinders.  Sheary/eRod/Middlestat will cause teams fits if they can play north-south and use their speed to their advantage

I don’t think Casey is well suited to wing at all.  Reinhart’s game screamed wing to me.  Casey’s game screams center to me, but I’m becoming concerned as to whether that game is developing enough.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t think Casey is well suited to wing at all.  Reinhart’s game screamed wing to me.  Casey’s game screams center to me, but I’m becoming concerned as to whether that game is developing enough.

I think we would need to develop his game as a winger, but that is easier to do than develop as a center.  He came to camp a lot bigger, but he will need to work on play down low.  I just don't think his defensive awareness is where it needs to be to be an effective center, and I'm sick of waiting for him to figure it out.  He seems to struggle to find open ice without the puck in the offensive zone, but I think a lot of that has to do with him being concerned about being F1 on the backcheck. 

#unleashCasey  

edit: open ice without the puck

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

2 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I think we would need to develop his game as a winger, but that is easier to do than develop as a center.  He came to camp a lot bigger, but he will need to work on play down low.  I just don't think his defensive awareness is where it needs to be to be an effective center, and I'm sick of waiting for him to figure it out.  He seems to struggle to find open ice in the offensive zone, but I think a lot of that has to do with him being concerned about being F1 on the backcheck. 

#unleashCasey  

I think it is simpler that that.  He’s not figuring out how to translate what worked for him in younger leagues at the NHL level.  Some guys never do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

You may well be right but I see Casey as another Samson at this stage but he doesn't have an ROR and/or Eichel to take the brunt of the pressure off of him. I think once he finds his niche, he'll be fine. I don't think he's ever going to play a LOG line role although he could learn a thing or 2 from that line. 

59 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I think we would need to develop his game as a winger, but that is easier to do than develop as a center.  He came to camp a lot bigger, but he will need to work on play down low.  I just don't think his defensive awareness is where it needs to be to be an effective center, and I'm sick of waiting for him to figure it out.  He seems to struggle to find open ice without the puck in the offensive zone, but I think a lot of that has to do with him being concerned about being F1 on the backcheck. 

#unleashCasey  

edit: open ice without the puck

This is a You problem.  He is 20.

For as much as we wish Casey was further along in his development, i do think we need to remember he's only 20 years old & is gonna need time to fully mature.

We're talking multiple seasons both physically & on the ice. If he wasn't getting chances i'd be more worried. But he's been getting opportunities to score & just hasn't finished.

In time those chances will go in. So i'm not overly worried about that line. Not enough to bench anyone anytime soon. Plus in Casey's case, he's cash money in shootouts & contributing there.

But if that line was a liability defensively that'd be another story as well, but theyre not to this point.

So i say just keep coaching them up & give them some time to get it together.

In the meantime we can all talk about it in these threads that come out a few times a week lol

I like the way Casey is being used. He’s creating chances for us 5-on-5 and not the other team. He’s got jump and isn’t turning the puck over as much. You know, a position to succeed.

Vesey and ERod have been placeholders for the most part, but Sheary contributed in his brief time.

As long as Johansson/Skinner continues to work and Larry and his boys do what they do, it’s a better “4th” line than a lot of teams are putting out there.

Hopefully their hot streak will emerge around the time the others cool down.

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is a You problem.  He is 20.

We are loving what Vic is doing but he is 24.  Mitts is 20 and developing in the NHL.  Vesey and ERod are 26.  Sheary 27.  They are in their prime and need to be producing.  Sheary sort of gets a pass as he has 3 pts in 3 games except of those 3 pts only one is at even strength. In fact this line has only 2 even strength points this year and they are Mitts’ assist on Sheary’s goal in game 1.  That’s it.

I’m really tempted to suggest sending Casey down.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like the way Casey is being used. He’s creating chances for us 5-on-5 and not the other team. He’s got jump and isn’t turning the puck over as much. You know, a position to succeed.

Vesey and ERod have been placeholders for the most part, but Sheary contributed in his brief time.

As long as Johansson/Skinner continues to work and Larry and his boys do what they do, it’s a better “4th” line than a lot of teams are putting out there.

Hopefully their hot streak will emerge around the time the others cool down.

While I too like Mitts being sheltered on the 4th line for 9 min or so per game, I think the Dallas game was the first time his line didn't get dominated by the opposition in zone time. 

It's progress, but I need to see it more than once.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are loving what Vic is doing but he is 24.  Mitts is 20 and developing in the NHL.  Vesey and ERod are 26.  Sheary 27.  They are in their prime and need to be producing.  Sheary sort of gets a pass as he has 3 pts in 3 games except of those 3 pts only one is at even strength. In fact this line has only 2 even strength points this year and they are Mitts’ assist on Sheary’s goal in game 1.  That’s it.

I advocated this in preseason and would still be on board unless he looks on this roadie more like Stars game Mitts than 1st 5 games Mitts.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

While I too like Mitts being sheltered on the 4th line for 9 min or so per game, I think the Dallas game was the first time his line didn't get dominated by the opposition in zone time. 

It's progress, but I need to see it more than once.

I advocated this in preseason and would still be on board unless he looks on this roadie more like Stars game Mitts than 1st 5 games Mitts.

I like to see him go down and create some chemistry with Thompson. then bring them up together to add another layer of offense. 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As fans we're tempted to do a lot of things with this roster. But big picture we're 5-0-1. I dont think you take a chance at screwing up his head or confidence by sending him down unless he does something detrimental to the team. Like costly giveaways or seriously stinking up the ice.

You continue to stay the course, coaching him up, instilling confidence into him & hope those chances he's been getting start going in.

If we start a 5 game losing streak & that line is still under performing or more specifically him then yeah, perhaps sending him down would be good. But not at this time when we're 5-0-1 imo.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

For me I've been disappointed in Vesey, he should be a 20 goal scorer. He seems emotionless, almost sulky to me. Does he fancy himself a top 6 forward on this team?

I'm thinking Mitts, Tage and Sheary at some point if it doesn't improve.

Botterill has always referred to Vesey as a 'top-9' player.

I like everyone's play so far except for Vesey.  He has disappeared at times and you don't even hear his name.  Casey will get going. I actually would prefer a line of Vesey, Mitts, and Thompson and that may happen toward end of season.  

I do see them moving on from Sheary and possibly even Vesey at deadline as they are both UFA's.  

ERod could be included in trade with whatever defenseman gets moved in the next month or so.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What should be our expectations for this group/line going forward?  Is this line the team’s possible Achilles Heal?  Would calling up Thompson at some point make the team better?

Right now those 4 players have 5 pts total (3 on the PP) in 6 games.  Mitts has 2 assists and Sheary has 2 goals and an assist.  Vesey and Erod have goose eggs.  

I thought Mitts would be dramatically better this season and in some ways he is better.  I also thought playing with 2 proven depth wingers in Sheary and Vesey against better matchups would make them more effective.  So far nothing.  Obviously with 76 games remaining we have a long season in front of us, but I’m beginning to worry about this line.  

We can’t rely on GLO to continue to play at their current level.  They will be fine, but we will need more secondary scoring and guys like Vesey, Mitts and Sheary need to add 15 goals each this season if we are to truly contend for the playoffs.  

How can RK get these guys going?  How long will JBot wait to make a move to enhance this line if these guys remain ineffective?  I’m thinking after this West Coast road trip that if Sheary returns and the line remains ineffective, I can see Thompson recalled and someone like Vesey and Mitts benched with Erod centering Sheary and Thompson.  

Realistically that line will probably get ~45-50 goals (Sheary 21, Mittelstadt 18, Vesey 10).  If Vesey gets going back to his typical production maybe ~55.  That seems low, but the Johansson line is only going to get about 60 without changes (Skinner 30, Marcus 25, Sobotka 5).

Not sure how a line getting 9 minutes / game and ~45-50 goals is an Achilles heel but 1 expected to score and getting 14 minutes and ~60 isn't.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.