GDT: Sabres at Ducks ?7p PT

pi2000

6 minutes ago, repster said:

My incomplete statement about what happens tonight was really an open question about are we going to be a different team than last year.

My hope is that we rebound tonight and get back on a new streak as opposed to last year’s alternative.  I think Ralph will have the guys in the proper mindset, so it will come down to desire and execution.  He hinted at lineup changes in his post game press conference.

No barrels required.

I just thought the barrel would add some excitement  and bring some change.

56 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Lots of reasons the Sabres lost and Linus is one of them, but certainly not the only reason.  I don't think Hutts wins that game for us either.

Hard to say that.  Hutton was coming off a shutout.  But the coaches chose the right goalie the other 6 games, tough to argue after the fact.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Sabres should have won this game.

image.thumb.png.8666f15be5c9876452f89fcbf6b2cc88.png

image.thumb.png.9f00614edaac80c8314987b015186a3b.png

image.thumb.png.1ae1dabdce72e51092b10a497234bc9c.png

Agreed.  I think the Henrique goal at the of first, then again at the end of the second were weak and changed momentum.  The Rakell goal in opening seconds of the second was a poorly played poke check against a highly skilled player.  They solved the Sabres PP and killed extremely well.  Better Goaltending, solid  PK and some BS thuggery.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Krueger gets it. 

That's nice coach speak, but I actually think the bigger problem last night was that the team thought the first and second periods were over about a minute before they actually were. Not the first time it's happened this year. They have to fix that.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Those two late period goals heading into intermission is what killed them.

Jake McCabe with a great assessment of the game

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjm9bGGrKPlAhWOq1kKHbo2B-MQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhl.com%2Fsabres%2Fvideo%2Fjake-mccabe-postgame-101619%2Fc-4385516&usg=AOvVaw03o_-qlLI5guQn4S0z105H

His take on the Ducks’ “thuggery”- “That’s hockey right there,...” ??

McCabe sounding like the cagey vet and speaking like a true leader right there. Git er done.

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I appreciate his continued emphasis on simplifying things when under duress. It's something they've failed at but hopefully Ralph can make it stick.

Right.  The problem has been identified.  How to fix it is the question.  Slow down?  No.  Speed up?  I think this presents the best chance at countering a heavy game, but they need to remain calm to do it.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Right.  The problem has been identified.  How to fix it is the question.  Slow down?  No.  Speed up?  I think this presents the best chance at countering a heavy game, but they need to remain calm to do it.

To me the thing they need to do is make stronger plays with the puck under pressure. There was a shift last night where Dahlin put a soft pass up the boards on one side and it didn't get out, then he did it on the other side and it didn't get out. That kinda stuff makes me crazy. There is a time and a place for soft plays, but sometimes you just need to crank it hard around and hope it bounces its way out.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

To me the thing they need to do is make stronger plays with the puck under pressure. There was a shift last night where Dahlin put a soft pass up the boards on one side and it didn't get out, then he did it on the other side and it didn't get out. That kinda stuff makes me crazy. There is a time and a place for soft plays, but sometimes you just need to crank it hard around and hope it bounces its way out.

I agree. I forgot about the excessive amount of soft plays, but you're right, the passing was various combinations of tentative and ill-advised.  It's their response to the pressure, regardless.

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Aaaahhhhh, refreshing. But isn't that some peoples angst with Risto?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's almost like our Norris winner isn't good at playing defense... yet.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's almost like our Norris winner isn't good at playing defense... yet.

He may never really be that good at the defensive side of defending. Erik Karlsson is his closest comparable and sometimes I think he's the worst defender I've ever seen despite his undeniable offensive abilities.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, darksabre said:

He may never really be that good at the defensive side of defending. Erik Karlsson is his closest comparable and sometimes I think he's the worst defender I've ever seen despite his undeniable offensive abilities.

Maybe it's unfair, but I look at the size difference between those two don't want to call him a comparable.  I want to expect a completely different player.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is what happens when a team starts feeling really good about themselves and gets an early lead.  They thought it was going to be easy and Ana had a great game plan.  The Sabres stopped working and paid the price.

It was bound to happen and now RK can reinforce his message and the team can get back to work.

Burn the tape and move on

When we played our game, Ducks couldn’t keep up.

Unfortunately, for the first time this season we got cocky because of it. Bit of luck opened the door for them and instead of going back to what worked we reverted to individualistic play. Then we exacerbated that by letting the Ducks sucker us into their thuggery.

Its weird to say for a Sabre fan, but after seven games I’ve yet to see an opponent that’s looked more talented than us. 

Like @LGR4GM said, Ralph gets it. Play our game and we will be fine.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

That's nice coach speak, but I actually think the bigger problem last night was that the team thought the first and second periods were over about a minute before they actually were. Not the first time it's happened this year. They have to fix that.

This a staple of the Sabres over the past couple years.  Not starting games/periods with intensity, and letting the foot off the gas a bit at the end of them.

Its a mental thing that hopefully Krueger can work on.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Erik Karlsson plays fine defense.  Only his first few years in the league was he bad.  

Dahlin is also not a bad defender.  He should be getting more mins.

Also, bring/keeping the puck in the offensive end is a great defensive tactic.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Maybe it's unfair, but I look at the size difference between those two don't want to call him a comparable.  I want to expect a completely different player.

Maybe it's time to change expectations. I have. He's not what I thought we were getting. He sets up a ton of scoring chances, for both teams. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.